Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Super Typhoon Choi-Wan

Posted

Can someone explain to me what the "CloudSat Reflectivity Zw" is / what it means etc...I dont know I've never seen it before =\

I dont claim to fully understand it all but here is what my understanding of it is. It's an estimate of the absorption loss of the observed reflectivity and it's measured in the mm^6 per m^3. It doesnt operate like a normal weather radar that mainly looks for rain. This measures the actual clouds also.

Posted

I dont claim to fully understand it all but here is what my understanding of it is. It's an estimate of the absorption loss of the observed reflectivity and it's measured in the mm^6 per m^3. It doesnt operate like a normal weather radar that mainly looks for rain. This measures the actual clouds also.

Thanks, kinda got you =]

Those pictures are absoloutly amazing, has to be the best looking storm I've ever seen.

These things really need to have a beauty contest.

Posted

LOL Sammie!

This is one of the best looking storms I have ever seen, cat 5 Super Typhoon Jangmi of last year:

Nah Jangmi aint got anything on Choi-Wan, look at Choi-Wan's eye dude if that isn't enough to make anyone fall in love with her, then I don't know what is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

jangmi%20-9-27-08_cat5.gif

Ah, my image was just after an EWRC biggrin.gif Look what Jangmi did after, lol. Jangmi was 5kts stronger too blum.gif

Seriously though, Choi-wan was stunning I agree. The super typhoon hs weakened a little though now, and convection has become a little eroded on the northwest side. Intensity has been lowered to 130kts, therefore Choi-wan has lost cat 5 status. It maintained cat 5 for over 24hrs though which is quite impressive.

EDIT: to change "eye" to "I" doh.gif . Someones too obsessed me thinks.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

Indeed Cookie, a classic example of an eyewall replacement cycle. Choi-wan is really struggling with this, as the inner eyewall is refusing to give in. If the cycle completes tonight, then Choi-wan has the opportunity of some re-strengthening from the initial intensity of 110kts. Time is running out for Choi-wan overall though as waters begin to cool and shear will soon increase.

Posted

Nice image Cookie!

Choi-wan has continued to significantly weaken. Intensity is down to 75kts, making Choi-wan a cat 1 on the SS scale. The structure of Choi-wan continues to lose shape due to high shear. In addition, sea surface temps are rapidly declining as Choi-wan accelerates to the northeast. ET should begin soon. Choi-wan is passing well to the southeast of Japan.

Posted

i can't post attachments when at work (as i have to view forum in lo-fi) sad.gif so here is a link to a great satty picture

http://www.usno.navy...ab/abpwsair.jpg

Really nice image there Mick, shows the eye wall replacement cycle well, however, Choi-wan never managed to fully complete it which led to a sooner than expected demise.

Choi-wan is now fully extratropical.

Posted

Really nice image there Mick, shows the eye wall replacement cycle well, however, Choi-wan never managed to fully complete it which led to a sooner than expected demise.

Choi-wan is now fully extratropical.

yep, that image is old. but she did give some great images while she lasted ;)

Posted

I can't give off what happened with SST's after choi-wan went through.

Great image mick biggrin.gif

Indeed, that's what upwelling does for you, particularly with such a strong system. It'll be a couple weeks before that patch of water warms again. Any storm in that precise area will have a hard time intensifying due to the cooled waters.

Posted

Upwelling occurs in all basins but you could argue that it's effects are more prominent in the West Pacific as the storms are generally larger in size which would cause wider swathes of upwelling.