Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland September Rainfall

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

If we get no rain before 0900 tomorrow morning, today will be the 15th consecutive day without rain; into 'official drought' territory for the first time since March 2007.

If it wasn't for yesterday we would probably be in the same situation, things have improved a little but still very dry. I have to say after the deluge of the past few months it is quite a good thing (apart from obviously the parts of the S and SE where it has been going on longer) and it's been nice to actually be able to get out and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I am fed up with this dry dull cloudy September weather to . Some rain would be nice! A storm would be an exceptional bonus smile.gif being as I have not had one storm this year.sad.gif I love thunderstorms compared to a dry hot day!

Bring on the Atlantics I say!!biggrin.gif

Posted

We've had just 1.5mm of rain in the last 18 days and nothing for the last 9. September so far has 21.0mm which is 40% of the expected monthly average. Its been pretty dry but very welcome indeed!

Posted

I am fed up with this dry dull cloudy September weather to .

Yes, This month has been incredibly boring, and the name of this song says it all really :nonono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0CGHwoo6M :p:p :lol:

Posted

We had some very light drizzle this morning here which hardly dampened the dust, other than that it has rained just twice here this month. August was mostly dry too as was June & the first couple of weeks of July... No doubt we will get a deluge soon enough, make the most of the dry (& down here at least) sunny weather...

Posted

http://www.wellesbourneairfield.com/wxflash.htm

My local airfield is reporting 10mm for the month - no idea when that was as I can't recall a drop this month !!

I expect that fell on the afternoon of September 2, which was pretty wet generally (the Reading University site shows about 10mm for the day). Much of the southeast also had a very wet day on September 15, although here in Reading we were on the fringe of that and got less than 5mm. Much of Oxfordshire may well have stayed dry that day.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another day rolls by without any rain, that now takes it to 15 consecutive dry days. Grass is starting to go brown now. You kind of expect it in the middle of summer, but not a good way through Autumn!

Posted

Another day rolls by without any rain, that now takes it to 15 consecutive dry days. Grass is starting to go brown now. You kind of expect it in the middle of summer, but not a good way through Autumn!

Funnily enough it happened here in 2007 - twice!

21st August - 16th September - no measurable rain for 27 days

10th October - 9th November - just 2.5mm in 31 days.

And the other seasons:

27th July - 12th August 2008 - No measurable rain for 17 days.

24th March - 7th May 2007 - only 1.5mm in 45 days

6th - 25th February 2008 - 2.5mm in 20 days

6th - 26th May 2008 - No measurable rain for 21 days

So nothing really unusual in recent years. The pattern of heavy falls of rain over short periods with long dry spells in between seems more notable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

September 2006 wasn't very dry, it was infact the wettest September since 2000 for England and Wales

That's what I was thinking! Thanks for confirming that Mr Data. It was certainly a warm one, supposedly warmer than August (except here) but definitely far from dry.

This September however is heading for a drier total of rain than that of 2007 (40.1mm)as this month currently stands at 28.5mm.

Posted

Seasons do seem to come in different cycles settled dry springs we seem to get now with settled dry autumns especially in september,disturbed very wet summers and, winter well thats anyone`s guess.

Did have 3 days this week with some patchy light rain not really dampening the dust.

GFS shows the very dry spell getting even more prominent with HP and 10 dry days on the trot.

I won`t be complaining the rain can stay mainly on the plain in spain for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ive enjoyed this dry spell as its meant we arnt stuck indoors so much now during the day!

However the grass and plants must be gasping now!

Would like to and glad to see this High Pressure lasting even longer yet. Like the cold synoptics in FI Land but it seems locked there right now.

Posted

Surprising to see so many people knocking this month's weather- it's been manna from heaven compared to the dross we had in July for instance. After an unsettled first couple of days it's been outstandingly dry; I can't remember anything more than drizzle since. The second week brought probably the longest sustained spell of warm, dry, sunny weather here since April 2007. Since then it's been a mix of cloudy and dry and sunny and dry- the pattern seeming to be 2-3 days of the former, then 2-3 of the latter. A particularly welcome feature of this month is the way it's actually been cool at night and warm by day a lot of the time, meaning it's good for being out in the day and sleeping well at night- rather than that wretched suppressed maxima/high minima pattern which does the exact opposite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I just wish we'd had this two months ago - what a fantastic summer it would have been then!

Instead I spent my weeks holiday (Cornwall in late July) either soaked to the skin, feeling cold - or both!

I think swapping this July's & this September's weather around would have suited both weather lover & joe public to tea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If the current model output comes to fruition we could be looking at one of the longest droughts on record here.

At the moment we're on 16 consecutive dry days and the record stands at 22 days, achieved twice, in Sept/Oct 1986 and again in June/July 1995.

I recorded a 26 day drought in the summer of 1976 but not at the same site so not strictly comparable. There was also a 25 day drought in the autumn of 1972 but again, not at the same site.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Surprising to see so many people knocking this month's weather- it's been manna from heaven compared to the dross we had in July for instance.

Never pleased some people. You would think a dry spell would be appreciated would nt you (this coming from a rainy!).

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

If the current model output comes to fruition we could be looking at one of the longest droughts on record here.

At the moment we're on 16 consecutive dry days and the record stands at 22 days, achieved twice, in Sept/Oct 1986 and again in June/July 1995.

I recorded a 26 day drought in the summer of 1976 but not at the same site so not strictly comparable. There was also a 25 day drought in the autumn of 1972 but again, not at the same site.

Hi TM,

Yes it does look as though this current drought could go on for a while longer; now in to the 17th consecutive dry day here.

The last drought recorded here was 18 consecutive dry days during February 2008, that's going to be easily beaten now, unless we get a freak downpour between now and tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

It has been a very dry month here also but we have had a few light rain showers and a few drizzle days mixed in to prevent me getting any local drought records. wallbash.gif Gorgeous month though!clap.gif

Posted

I just wish we'd had this two months ago - what a fantastic summer it would have been then!

Instead I spent my weeks holiday (Cornwall in late July) either soaked to the skin, feeling cold - or both!

I think swapping this July's & this September's weather around would have suited both weather lover & joe public to tea.

Agreed, also I was in Cornwall last weekend and it felt far more summary than much of summer did here and most likely there. it was dry and sunny by day with a fair amount of people on the beaches. Temps were in the high teens but it felt pleasantly warm. As my skin is very fair I made the mistake of forgetting to put sun cream on and thought it wouldn't matter much considering it was virtually the autumn equinox, but actually managed to get quite sunburnt over two days.

:crazy:

Today is the 21st day since over 1mm of rain fell in a day here. We have had a couple days (e.g. Wednesday) with a bit of patchy drizzly stuff hardly dampening the ground. This compared to the longest 'dry spell' in July which was just 1 spell of 2 days!

The grass is mostly a pretty healthy green though and were getting heavy dew some mornings perhaps adding just a little bit of extra moisture.

Forgot to add - we did have over 30mm in the first few days of the month which stopped the monthly total from being really low.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm on the 17th consecutive dry day too, but there 3 before that so if it hadn't rained before then we'd be on the 20th, but I'm sure that'll come soon... In the very unlikely event that it doesn't rain for 30 days, then that will be a proper true drought in my eyes.

Posted

Because I can't put my weather station up I don't have accurate measurements, but it looks like Milton Keynes is roughly on 4-5mm of rain this month and a current approximation of 14 days without rain but I am aware that other folk may have more accurate data.

I vaguley remember is starting to spit the other day but I have no idea whether I was in London, Cheshire or MK!

I have to say I haven't really noticed the lack of rain, its always damp from the dew when I leave home in the morning.

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well i'd say we are in interesting times at the moment. Whats interesting me is the possibility of ending up with a month with record low rainfall or one of the driest in a long time. Add to that the endless posibilities for enjoying the outdoors its been a great month and goes a long way to compensate for the poor summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The dry spell/drought will end on 1st Oct with a bang. Why? Because my radar subscription ends! :good::wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Really is gorgeous weather here at least. Unbroken sunshine all day. Woke up at 7:30 this morning to a beautiful morning, outside a slight chill in the air with 9C, and then rising to 22C in the afternoon. Shame it is getting dark already, how I miss the summer months! But the view outside now of the sunset is spectacular!