Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland September Rainfall

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Despite the fact we could be heading for one of the longest droughts on record here, September will be the driest only since since 2003 even if there's no more rain at all this month.

We had 26.5mm on the 2nd which is more than in the whole of Sept' 2003 and three times as much as in Sept' 1986 which, incidentally, with a total of 8.2mm, still stands as the driest month since I began recording here in 1977.

Posted

My grandad decided to start recording weather statistics when he reached his 60th birthday too...assuming that's what you did?

40.4mm of rain so far this month, but already much wetter than February when I recorded just 25.8mm of rain (snow). The driest September I've recorded was 2002 (45mm) and the wettest was 2000 with 198.5mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well it's been a gorgeous last week in Norwich- just one dull dry day and the rest were either sunny or had broken cloud and sunny intervals. I'm not necessarily a fan of prolonged dry spells but I am certainly a fan of plentiful sunshine.

Occasionally when we get a settled spell that is sunny and contains plenty of weather of interest (haze effects, sunsets, temperature variability etc) I actually want it to go on and on. This was certainly the case around the 20th February 2008 when the Atlantic systems started to push in following that 13 day anticyclonic spell. Another of my favourite anticyclonic spells was the second week of October 1994, though many people probably won't remember that! This spell isn't in that category but I would still take it over most Atlantic-driven weather with the possible exception of polar maritime-dominated westerlies.

However I can see where those who are calling it "boring" are coming from, especially if their areas have been quite cloudy.

Regarding the regular comments about what an improvement it is over July, bear in mind that the weather in July also varied from place to place, though if you dislike rain regardless of whether it's persistent or showery & thundery with sun in between, it probably won't make much difference. However, in Norwich a large majority of the month's rain was in the form of thundery showers, and it wasn't even particularly wet here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looks like another, dull, dry day. We really could do with some rain soon - pond levels are going down fast. Will have to top up the one in the garden as well. Looks like we will easily top 20 days with absolutely no rain.

Posted

Well, as I was driving back from a meeting in Scotland yesterday, I drove over the River Esk on the M6 near Carlisle, and for the first time that I can remember, I could see rocks under the edge of the normal channel because the river was so low. Considering it flows from Eskdalemuir and area, it shows how dry it's been. When I drove past it in August however....

Posted

It's nice to know someone understands. If you have anytime, take a look at the Satellite image for the UK. The SE and parts of EA are enjoying beautiful sunshine whereas here in the Midlands as well as Wales, we're stuck under medium-level cloud...again. It'll most likely burn off slightly throughout the day, but this is the type of weather I've had to endure for nearly 3 weeks. And people can't grasp why I think this weather is boring. Oh dear.

I feel your pain and annoyance. I don't remember the last time the sun properly came out! Despite the fact there has been next to no rain, bizarrely I bet the sunshine levels are really quite low as well. I just want a good old depression to cheer me up - this is awful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Much of Oxfordshire may well have stayed dry that day.

In north Oxfordshire its been dry for weeks

Grass going brown , leaves going yellow and falling early

People with their 24/7 sprinklers that annoy me

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

28.6mm in the first three days now up too 30.4mm

Major benefits is that the lawn has slowed down finally from growing as has the private allowing me prune other plants back.

Posted

Beautifull day here, not a cloud in the sky. For some reason the cloud never makes it over the pennines, it keeps moving from west to east but always burns of instantly, why is that? post-8968-12539745420828_thumb.jpg Radar shows how nice the weather is over eastern areas drinks.gif

I wouldnt really class this spell a drought, i mean its been wet most of summer so that compensates for the dryness. Also in the morning the grass is always wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Although it has been dry for a long time the soil is still quite moist from the "BBQ summer" that we experiencedrolleyes.gif

Lawn is doing very well with this spell although i just got wet socks after making the assumption it was dry! unsure.gif

Posted

Yet another dry warm day here. Has been very dry month here, only one day of rain in Sept. My lawn is pretty much brown and cracked. And looks like at least a week more of it before any sign of change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like we are going to go for about a month of no rain here. About 3 weeks of none now and looks set to stay dry for another week at least.

Goregous sunshine right now too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Pretty dry, but also not too cool either, only 1 or 2 days this month haven't reached 20C.

Posted

Beautiful day here clear blue skies,17c although very windy with dust flying , lawn grasses all cut and starting to go brown even after a very wet start to September. Garden is in great shape with most weeds dutch hoed and dead something which is very rare at the end of September here as I usually neglect it during the harvest and the weeds take over. Apple picking is well under way and the beech hedge is cut, no excuse because of rain not to be outside every evening in the garden for an hour or so before it gets dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

13.8mm here so far this month. Pretty dry! Everything is very brown, the dry August didn't help that either.

I cut the grass for our local pub (lazy boggers), and I have only cut it twice in 8 weeks, rather than it really needing a cut every week.

267.4 mm so far this year, but then it's always dry around here.

Posted

Now had 17 consecutive dry days and just 1.6mm in the past 23. Looks like we will easily get 3 weeks of nothing, and 4 weeks of nothing significant looks quite possible too. If I get to Tuesday with no rain it will be the longest period with no rain I have ever recorded (going back to Dec 2004).

A wet start here followed by a period of around 13 days being bone dry, however about 3 mm of rain over the past few days.

Total rain this month 29mm, of which 24 mm fell in the first 2 days. Also sunshine amounts way above average.

Posted
post-2744-12539978604134_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12539978888103_thumb.jpgOne of the added benefits of this dry spell has been some sunsets to rival those of the hot dry spell at the end of June except these are now seen to the west and not the NNW any longer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

13.5mm of rain here for the whole of September so far and boy don't I know it! Played football this afternoon and the ground was like concrete, got cut legs, bruised legs and body from diving and also blisters. I was only running for goal kicks and when charging out for 1 on 1's, the outfield players had some monster blisters!

Posted

13.5mm of rain here for the whole of September so far and boy don't I know it! Played football this afternoon and the ground was like concrete, got cut legs, bruised legs and body from diving and also blisters. I was only running for goal kicks and when charging out for 1 on 1's, the outfield players had some monster blisters!

I know, I played football last Saturday, it seriously was like playing on concrete. I would prefer it muddy to concrete-like - adds to comedy value and you are less likely to be battered and bruised!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Ex-Tropical Storm Danny brought the majority of this monh's rainfall here at the beginning of the month. It's been dry ever since. Total stands at 17.0mm, making September to be on course to be the driest month this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I know, I played football last Saturday, it seriously was like playing on concrete. I would prefer it muddy to concrete-like - adds to comedy value and you are less likely to be battered and bruised!

Yep it was a nightmare. Cannot believe how dry the ground really is, I don't like it when it's too muddy because when you are in goal it's not that much fun! :( But i'd prefer muddy over what it was like today, I don't think diving on that ground every week will do my body any good.

Posted

Very dry around here too. Had 0.2mm of rain since the 4th September. My veggie patch is dry and cracked, looks more like a desert! Still expect it will change over the next week or so and in a couple of weeks we will probably be moaning about how wet it is!

Posted

Day 19 of the "drought", once again a very dull day and it looks like we will easily get to 3 weeks without a drop of rain.