Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland September Rainfall

damianslaw

Posted

in my location we benefited from that one off pseudo thames streamer a couple of weeks ago or so. aside from that its been very dry, and looks like it will remain so for a while

that was about the only rain i can remember for weeks and weeks. really dry here in SE London, trees and grass are suffering from it. my local council have hardly needed to cut the grassed areas this year.

Summary – August 2009

August was another month with below average rainfall with only

July having higher than average

rainfall in the last six months, with the area as a whole

receiving 57 % of the long term average

(LTA) rainfall. The majority of the river flow sites had normal

flows for August. Groundwater

levels were either normal or below normal for August, with the

exception of one site with above

normal levels for August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

that was about the only rain i can remember for weeks and weeks. really dry here in SE London, trees and grass are suffering from it. my local council have hardly needed to cut the grassed areas this year.

Thankfully the previous 2 summers were wet, otherwise there would be some serious problems.

Posted

The contrast between September and July/August is astonishing. September = washing hanging on the line, plenty of outdoor activities, plants/garden needing regular watering. July/August = none of those things.

Wouldn't be surprised if various regional news headlines on Oct 1st contained plenty of "driest September on record for a long time"

Posted

Now had 19 consecutive days with no rain, and if the Met Office forecast is anything to go by, then we will get no rain for the whole of the working week. That would be 23 consecutive dry days and just 13mm for the whole month of September - with just 1.6mm since the 4th, have we been transported to the desert?!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well it makes rain cards easy to fill in. 30.5 mm so far. Last measurable rain the 21st with 0.2mm. two traces on the 22nd and 23rd nothing since. 28.5 mm of rain fell in the first 3 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

19 consecutive days without measurable rainfall here which equals the last two droughts in March 2003 and March 2007.

If we get no rainfall by 0900 tomorrow it will be the longest drought since July/August 1995 which managed 21 days.

Posted

19 consecutive days without measurable rainfall here which equals the last two droughts in March 2003 and March 2007.

If we get no rainfall by 0900 tomorrow it will be the longest drought since July/August 1995 which managed 21 days.

3 weeks should easily be topped I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had a bit of drizzle today, enough to wet the ground but not really a measureable amount. Don't know whether it's with not having much rain, but quite a few of the trees around here are just dropping while still green.

Edited by James M

Posted

Yes this is turning into a notably dry September - although dry spells often do occur during September it is not a month synonimous with dry weather throughout compared to feb, march, april, may, june, july and august, so in this respect this is very much a notable dry spell indeed.

If it was not for the opening few days, I think here in the Lake District we would have been looking at one of the driest Septembers ever. The past three weeks have seen only a few drops of rain, when any precipitation has fallen apart from a sharp burst last wednesday evening it has been woefully light..all quite odd considering, the current state of play says it all with a pathetic line of drizzle low cloud along a waving weak front going nowhere fast, I don't think many foresaw such a dry September.

Posted

Day 20 of the drought, now equalling the longest period of no rain back in April 2007. Actually had some drizzle earlier but even that was very faint.

Posted

I had some rain at the beginning of the month, and funny enough had 1.5mm last night

Total so far this Month is 27.9mm, so fairly dry indeed

27mm for my area. Unbelievably dry

Posted

Day 21 of the drought...and we finally get measurable rainfall! Got 0.3mm today, taking the September total to 13.3mm, and that is where it will probably stay. Remarkably dry.

Posted

It is the dryest september ever recorded here at 10mm still,looks like september 1986 was also very dry but whether it as as dry as this month is another ?

Fields are still green except for the odd small brown patch,grass is still growing but slower,must be all the dew at night.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

This must be close to the driest September ever in this neck of the woods. I'd be amazed if there has been a drier one with rain on only two occasions - one of these light and the other very light.

In fact, there can't be many drier months at all. It must be in the top 10 (5? 3?) driest months on record.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

As a follow on from this topic

how much rain

I can report september has not been dry here,

I have a total of 190mm of rain for september in north ballachulish, and the garden is a swomp

Edited by reef
Merged with September thread