Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alpine Snow And Skiing Thread

J10

Posted

Thank you for the replies. I kind of thought it was a lot easier as there may not be as many factors (normally) to take in to account

Current snow depths at our featured resorts, In Brackets on 31st January

France

Val d'Isere 133cm/200cm (100/146cm), Last Snow 20cm 26 Feb Powder Conditions

Meribel 97cm/176cm (85cm/142cm), Last Snow 20cm 26 Feb Powder Conditions on Piste

Switzerland

Wengen 30cm/120cm (45cm/115cm), Last Snow 5cm 26 Feb Powder Conditions

Austria

Niederau 60cm/115cm (45cm/90cm), ast Snow 5cm 26 Feb Fresh Conditions on Piste

Italy

Sestriere / Sauze d'Oulx 120cm/180cm (100cm/180cm), Last Snow 30cm 19 Feb Ecellent conditions on piste

The Latest Update to the Ski Blog is out now.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/61871-alps-forecast-17/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Going to Andorra on Wednesday , will be driving up from Gerona, any idea what the weather will be like as some sites are suggesting heavy snow , not the best driving conditions !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Pas de la casa which at the base is 2050m !!!

Posted

I know this isnt Alpine but it is still Skiing, but here is Scotland...

Cairngorm - 150/250

Glencoe - 110/140

The Lecht - 70/110

Nevis Range - 70/120

Glenshee - 60/110

Absolutely amazing...skiing til June anyone???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Going to the 3 valleys on swizerland/french border on sunday, what are conditions like there for this area next week? when i get home i want spring to be here blush.gifclap.gif

Going to the 3 valleys on swizerland/french border on sunday, what are conditions like there for this area next week? when i get home i want spring to be here blush.gifclap.gif

Where exactly, there is a really good website for Meribel in the Trois Vallees.

www.merinet.com

http://www.merinet.com/snow_report.php

At this stage, it looks as if freeze thaw conditions are likely for the weekend and into next week with some good sunny spells, and perhaps spring snow into the afternoon, and don't forget your suntan lotion. With Freezing level perhaps rising above 1500-1600m by mid afternoon, before plunging again overnight. If the winds do switch to southerly for later next week, freezing level may rise above 2000m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Where exactly, there is a really good website for Meribel in the Trois Vallees.

www.merinet.com

http://www.merinet.com/snow_report.php

At this stage, it looks as if freeze thaw conditions are likely for the weekend and into next week with some good sunny spells, and perhaps spring snow into the afternoon, and don't forget your suntan lotion. With Freezing level perhaps rising above 1500-1600m by mid afternoon, before plunging again overnight. If the winds do switch to southerly for later next week, freezing level may rise above 2000m.

Thanks jackone, didnt think to take suncream hmm

Posted

Latest Skiing blog out, and a very good weeks skiing in prospect.

http://forum.netweat...ps-forecast-18/

Just back from skiing in Tignes and you were spot on, a very good week's skiing indeed. Bloomin freezing at times but was warmer by yesterday - a whole minus 1 in the village yesterday afternoon, but freezing in the night.

Sun cream is a definite must. My nose is bright red.

Edited by joo

End of the season has arrived!

I've seen a few weather sites predicting a drop in temp this weekend and some medium/ large amounts of snow forecast. The same week this time of year on prevous years has also produced this 'late dump'. Can anyone else give me any info on this?

Cheers

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62191-alps-forecast-22-easter-weekend/page__pid__1801050__st__0entry1801050

The latest Ski Forecast has been issued.

Current snow depths at our featured resorts, In Brackets on 26th February

France

Val d'Isere 105/195cm (133cm/200cm), Last Snow 10cm 01 Apr Excellent / Powder Conditions

Meribel 74cm/170cm (97cm/176cm) Last Snow 15cm 01 Apr Excellent/ Varied Conditions

Switzerland

Wengen 5cm/80cm (30cm/120cm), Last Snow 5cm 01 Apr Excellent / Powder Conditions

Austria

Niederau 30cm/90cm (60cm/115cm), Last Snow 2cm 31 Mar Good / Slush Conditions

Italy

Sestriere / Sauze d'Oulx 100cm/140cm (120cm/180cm) Last Snow 01 Apr (10cm)

Posted

Thanks for the blogs this season - very much appreciated. It’s been a pretty good season overall, let’s hope for more of the same next year!

Posted

yes thank you Julian for a very worthwhile thread, both for those who ski/board, and others who perhaps simply enjoy reading about European mountain weather in winter.

Posted

I had 2.5 trips this season and I have to say conditions have been the best I have known. Again very useful commentrs, I would have added my 2 cents worth when I was home were it not for such a busy time at work and home.

Next winter...maybe.

Hope everyone else had good ski trips....anyone who went last week would have got a late season top up thats for sure.

Posted

Thanks again for updating this thread and including Sauze d'Oulx on your updates. Always quite a sad moment at the end of a season, but here's to 2010/2011 and the creation of a new thread! (and of course lots of snow!)

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=7342

Many resorts are closing for the season, and with recent weather the best conditions are very much on the higher slopes.

In summary for this weekend, mild to start in South Western parts, with some sunny conditions. But becoming increasingly unsettled from the north as colder conditions arrive as a cold North Easterly wind becomes established for the weekend and well into next week. This means the chance of further snowfalls this weekend above around 1500m at the height of day, closer to 800m overnight.