Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Leaf Fall...

mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well, clearing leaves is the backbone of my autumn tasks and ive been clearing leaves from several sites for some time (10 - 15 years).

i have to say that this year is the earliest ive ever had. the 'big drop' when most are shedding is usually the first week in november, but its underway now, 2 weeks early. many of the 'late droppers' are dropping early, ash in particular are normally well into november but are nearly done on my sites.

odd, i can see no correlation though between weather / speciese and leaf fall...

Posted

The ash trees are the same here having turned to many shades of yellow and are now falling fast when normally they are still hanging on until past Bonfire Night. However some of the beech trees have retained some of their greeness and are falling more slowly. I am no tree expert but this one(not an ash trepost-2744-12561933913624_thumb.jpge obviously) on the farm road has been very colourful.

Posted

My Ash tree is almost bare now...need to get the mower out this evening and get turn it into lovely leaf mulch. The Sycamores out the front are half-gone and the Limes along the road are bare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I actually think the leaf fall is later for my part of the world this year, usually all the trees are bare at this stage, leaf fall tends to occur around the first week of October, it didn't happen until last week.

really?, which part of the world are you?

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Interesting the amount of regional variation, most of the Ash around are still green and practically in full leaf. Same cannot be said for other species though, Limes are nearly done, Swedish Whitebeams are probably all done now, I haven't seen one with any leaves on for a while. Most other trees are in their Autumn finest but still not dropped the majority of their leaves, which I think is around average, but defiantely more colourful this year probably due to the dry sunny September.