Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How To... Make It Through The Winter On The Nw Forum!

Paul

Posted

With Winter fast approaching, I thought now would be a good time to post an (un)official guide to making it through the Winter on the forum with your sanity intact :cc_confused:

1. Remember the number of times you ask whether it's going to snow in [insert location here] doesn't have any bearing on whether it actually will.

2. Don't get wound up by people getting a bit excitable about snow - enthusiasm is a good thing even if it can be a touch annoying at times!!

3. Some like mild, some like cold, no-one likes war - live and let live eh?

4. Self love in public isn't pretty - if you're great at forecasting because you foresaw the upcoming [snow/cold/mild/storm] there's no need to devote your life to telling people - those who care will already know, those who don't will just get bored of you and if you're really as good as all that, someone else will probably post about it for you anyway!

5. The centimetre is the new inch when it comes to snow in the modern era (sorry).

6. Off topic posts are a pain for everyone, and so are posts complaining about off topic posts, so please don't do either!

7. The report button is your friend.

8. Charts in English are the best - http://www.netweathe...tion=nwdc;sess=

9. The ignore function is your friend - http://forum.netweat...ea=ignoredusers

10. Don't feed trolls - the more you give them the hungrier they get!

11. Enjoy your time here, if you're getting wound up take a break, if someone is breaking the guidelines report them and let the team take the strain, if someone is annoying but isn't breaking the guidelines ignore them.

12. Even if you cannot agree with someone's opinion you can still respect them.

13. Don't be the one that becomes known for the ott whining every time there's a 'downgrade'.

14. Don't be the one that becomes known for the ott ramping every time there's an 'upgrade'.

And finally... The weather will do what the weather does - so lets' just enjoy the ride <_<

Posted

Paul, I'd like to add one:

There's no need to accuse the MetO, BBC (to name the two most picked on) and anyone else on the planet of being useless just because they haven't agreed with your totally unrealistic hopes for 40 metres of snow in Dorset (or anywhere else).

Goes and ducks from incoming snowballs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Winter - when the Netweather loonies go crazy :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I'm sure we will still see the odd few with that Winter flare this season. Good job though, can only hope the majority remain sane and follow the guidelines, even if it is just for 3 months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Winter is (in my opinion), the most exciting period of the year for model watching. I know that emotions are high, and if everyone was to abide by those rules it would make it all the more enjoyable, unfortunatly I can't see everyone following these rules. Still, let's hope for a winter to remember, that will ultimatly make everyone happy in the end (except mild lovers ofcourse, although I think they are by far the minority on these forums by the looks of it!)

Posted

Also here are some words/phrases you'll hear no doubt in the model thread at least even if its a good winter at times:

Bartlett high

south-westerlies

Depression train

mild (with Darren Bett mentioning exceptionally mild whenever possible!)

"the christmas pudding" (already had many hits this Autumn!)

northerly toppler

beast from the east (which either doesn't make it, or is more like a feline cat)

"Is it going to snow in...."

If you can't bare to watch the models, just look at the model thread a few times in the space of 3-4hrs and if its increasing rapidly, then you'll know something maybe up...that or another off topic chat about GW/christmas pudding and jazz like that!

Don't get sucked into just one run from one model, if its on its own and showing cold, best not to get too over-excited about it, unless you enjoy having your hopes crushed, over and over and over again.

Posted

5. The centimetre is the new inch when it comes to snow in the christmas pudding (sorry).

Couldn't we just ban the member who uses the term 'christmas pudding' in their posts the most come the last day of February....... forever?

Posted

Paul, I'd like to add one:

There's no need to accuse the MetO, BBC (to name the two most picked on) and anyone else on the planet of being useless just because they haven't agreed with your totally unrealistic hopes for 40 metres of snow in Dorset (or anywhere else).

Goes and ducks from incoming snowballs.

But there will be 40 metres of snow in Dorset! Or, at least, there'd better be... :cc_confused:

At the moment Net Weather and that chap laminate floori from Accuweather are forecasting a colder than average winter - I'm not sure what the Met O is saying but I am in the South of France at the moment and my friends have told me that Meteo France is forecasting a mild winter.

As time unfolds, no doubt we will find out, though I am getting the impression that Eastern and Northern Europe are below average at the moment temperature wise and I am a believer that if it gets cold enough and the snow is deep enough on the continent it will spread over here. That is the UK but would probably include France, even the south.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Or the loons that hold onto the one cold FI member in the ensembles, when everyone else threw the towel in weeks ago. And 15 year olds who think they are meteorological geniuses.

At the moment Net Weather and that chap laminate floori from Accuweather are forecasting a colder than average winter - I'm not sure what the Met O is saying but I am in the South of France at the moment and my friends have told me that Meteo France is forecasting a mild winter.

Joe laminate flooring is mental. Reading his ideas, I had to skip through a load of other nonsense involving his views on politics and real ale. Having said that, a search on other winter forecasts suggest he is not alone implying a block for much of the winter to our northeast. South-easterlies will do the trick if central Europe is cold enough with a more southerly tracking jet I suppose. Need to see some much clearer indicators by mid-month I think if any of these winter forecasts are to hold any weight and a more westward extension of any Russian/Scandanavian block.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Excellent try Paul but I fear you will be a voice crying in the wilderness. As a previous poster put it, it's part of the fun on NW during Winter.

I for one tend to go away during summer as I find it boring. I love the 20 or so pages per model run and love fantasising about FI charts. Imaginative use of smilies also helps :-)

Looking forward to the upcoming season and wish everybody well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

:)

And, on occasion, that even extends to: I know it's snowing but I just can't see it! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

And whilst it may be mild and raining across the UK, there will always be a bit of sleet in Telford :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Might I suggest to everyone that model runs past +144 are essentially useless, so the appearance of a Beasterly at +240 is never gonna hapen. If you want to know what it's going to do in 10 days use the ensembles for a broader look because the charts will not get it. How many times has the perfect synoptics been shown, persisting until +72 and then just like that.......it's gone!!!

(Little bit of a Usual Suspects moment there)

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

If you dont get much snow this winter,dont get too down there is always next yr or the year after that or the year after that or the year after that...............laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If you dont get much snow this winter,dont get too down there is always next yr or the year after that or the year after that or the year after that...............laugh.gif

And Joe B will get it right! :)

Posted
for one tend to go away during summer as I find it boring. I love the 20 or so pages per model run and love fantasising about FI charts. Imaginative use of smilies also helps :-)

I agree with that,Summer is great with the odd thunderstorm i dont like rain, comes from being made to work in it when i was an apprentice !! i love N.W. in the winter never stop reading. keep up the good work maybe i`ll post again when we get the threats of 1 inch of snow and the country stands still !! Back to reading !!

Posted
5. The centimetre is the new inch when it comes to snow in the christmas pudding (sorry).

But it's so ruddy true!! LOLOL.

As for thunderstorms they have become as rare as snow these days ...