Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain / Winds / Storms - Friday Into Saturday

Paul

Posted

Triple point low. Don't think it's gonna be as bad now as I thought.

The lows of 977 & 978mb behind the "main" low are interacting with it, thus less developing, especially as it edges over Ireland.

Worst passed or not ? Hmm..

atln.gif?1258155830

Posted

With yesterday's heavy rain, the local river (Parrett), is very near bursting. We've had 32mm of rain today to wash down off the hills into the river. Looks highly probable that I may be cut off this weekend!

Winds increasing again after the lull of the last few hours. Not yet back up to the dizzy heights of the 72mph gust I recorded earlier, but a few squally gusts of around 45mph are still occuring from time to time.

Any chance of flash flooding in your part of the world again? From what I remember, that area is rather prone if it rains heavily. But if the river's topped up anyway...

Posted

hi well that was fun, massive band just went through with fantastic lightning, winds were bending everything in sight. Just looking now to see when the next one is going to come rattling through. They are moving very fast so blink and you will miss it. Now this is what i call a storm, wind, rain and lightning...

kaz x

Posted

Bless, your as nutty in real life as you appear on Net Weather blum.gif

lol, thanks :80:

If something needs doing i'll do it no matter what it takes, i remember once i think it was winter 2006 we had some pretty heavy snowfall during the night and the electrical cables running along the edge of my fence into my shed (this was at my old house) was hanging down and got wrapped around the washing line, of course it was snowing like mad, and the wind was blowing like hell, i shot out with just my pj top on nothing else lmfao, and the miss's locked me out.

Thats why im use to the cold, you could say im acustomed to it for life after that incident.

rofl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

In Plympton towards Hemerdon, what about you? Haven't seen any for 30ish mins now.

Heybrook Bay, right on the coast path, the last flash was behind the Mewstone, Wembury way. Absolutely hammering down now, very gusty outside as well.

In Plympton towards Hemerdon, what about you? Haven't seen any for 30ish mins now.

Just realised, you're in Heybrook Bay. How are things now?

Heybrook Bay, right on the coast path, the last flash was behind the Mewstone, Wembury way. Absolutely hammering down now, very gusty outside as well.

Think we wrote our pieces at the same time! Gone rather quiet here for a few mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

impressive radar echos just to the east of Birmingham...heavy rain here atm, though strangely not even a breath of wind...very odd

post-4149-12581572934904.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Electric going down and up- thanks to the mini sub station here- going to sign off to save the laptop- stay safe all. Have a feeling this is going to be a short nights sleep!

Edited by philglossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Any chance of flash flooding in your part of the world again? From what I remember, that area is rather prone if it rains heavily. But if the river's topped up anyway...

Flash? Drainage is quite poor here so floods tend to hang around for a while. The levels themselves can go under for weeks on end, however, the authorities do their best to clear the roads as quick as poss. Where I live, all four exits to the village can go under several feet of water meaning the only modes of transport are tractor or boat, lol.

Yes, yesterday's rain (14mm) has already filled the river to the brink. With 30mm still running into it, it's certain to burst, and will probably pour over for at least 12 continuous hours meanign rapidly rising floodwater. And more rain tomorrow and particularly Monday- doesn't look great. I can't moan too much though, at least my house doesn't go underwater which must be devestating for anyone which has had to suffer that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Picking up again here. Rain has returned and the wind is very gusty. Just had 53mph, due South. Pressure 991, temp 15C.

Gonna lie in bed and listen! Night, all.

Posted

Triple point low. Don't think it's gonna be as bad now as I thought.

The lows of 977 & 978mb behind the "main" low are interacting with it, thus less developing, especially as it edges over Ireland.

Worst passed or not ? Hmm..

atln.gif?1258155830

I meant wind stregth only.

Posted

Flash? Drainage is quite poor here so floods tend to hang around for a while. The levels themselves can go under for weeks on end, however, the authorities do their best to clear the roads as quick as poss. Where I live, all four exits to the village can go under several feet of water meaning the only modes of transport are tractor or boat, lol.

Yes, yesterday's rain (14mm) has already filled the river to the brink. With 30mm still running into it, it's certain to burst, and will probably pour over for at least 12 continuous hours meanign rapidly rising floodwater. And more rain tomorrow and particularly Monday- doesn't look great. I can't moan too much though, at least my house doesn't go underwater which must be devestating for anyone which has had to suffer that.

Yeah, I'd imagine so. I remember a year or so back where all of the Levels got flashed, Shepton too. Just thinking of my mate who's back house sitting in Huish Episcopi!

Still, could be worse, you could be living on Christchurch Harbour with a severe flood warning. Was nearly thinking of going down there, before I remembered how far I've driven today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Paul S, just sent you a pm re. local radar....its probably nothing, but the 2340-0010 loop caught my attn

cheers

AJ

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Just got up to check latest shipping forecast. Slightly down on the earlier one. Only Force 10 for Wight now, no mention of possibly Force 11. Ah well, fun over I suppose. Force 10 is nothing special. :80:

I have some sleeping tips for sleeping in the wind since its windy all the time out here where I live you have to be prepared. If you sleep up the stairs and find it too noisy move your bed down the stairs (not your actual bed just your mattress). Pick a quiet room and sleep there if you can still hear it use pillows to create a wall as sound proof or a giant teddy. Good luck and good night all :80:.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

No doubt the Somerset Levels IDB consortium will have their pumps going full bore at the minute - good news is that it looks like the potential issues with tidal locking of outfalls might not now be so severe with the worst of the winds in the Bristol Channel peaking between tomorrow's high tides, so hopefully that should clear some water through. Still, there's not much to be done about the rainwater except pump as fast as the equipment allows. With fairly short-reach water systems in that neck of the world I hope a dry sunday will create a bit of capacity in the system for you.

Posted

The Convective Bow-Line now in the Bristol Channel gave what looked like a Hook-Echo for some duration over a region South of Ilfracombe. This is still a substantial feature until it exhausts itself moisture content wise, and I'd expect as it approaches the Brecon Beacons it'll be initiated yet again for a short time into heavy bursts of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yeah, I'd imagine so. I remember a year or so back where all of the Levels got flashed, Shepton too. Just thinking of my mate who's back house sitting in Huish Episcopi!

Still, could be worse, you could be living on Christchurch Harbour with a severe flood warning. Was nearly thinking of going down there, before I remembered how far I've driven today.

I think I may remember the event you are on about, was definitely back when I was at college. To be honest, it doesn't take much for it to flood down here laugh.gif

Totally agree, as I said, I'm lucky that only my access to anywhere gets cut off and not my property. Best of luck to the people in that area and in other flood prone areas.

Regardless of how far you've driven- it pretty insane conditions to be driving in, lol. But then we are weather nuts biggrin.gif

No doubt the Somerset Levels IDB consortium will have their pumps going full bore at the minute - good news is that it looks like the potential issues with tidal locking of outfalls might not now be so severe with the worst of the winds in the Bristol Channel peaking between tomorrow's high tides, so hopefully that should clear some water through. Still, there's not much to be done about the rainwater except pump as fast as the equipment allows. With fairly short-reach water systems in that neck of the world I hope a dry sunday will create a bit of capacity in the system for you.

Thanks mate, fingers crossed.