Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Today's Weather And General Chat

sunny scunny

Posted

Morning all

i was out with a guy from the drainage board environment dept doing a wildlife survey on the drainage ditches around my paddocks this morning around 8am and it was blowing a hoolie but was dry, However and hour or so later all hell was let loose as i suspect a squall line came through, this has left a trail of very minor damage to various garden items which have reduced to tangled and bent bits of metal. But i have come off lightly in comparison to a friend 10-15 miles away at Spilsby who has lost all her dog kennels, they are all destroyed and has left roofing buried in trees and in the drainage courses. Her dogs are everywhere and ciaos ensues.

The only saving grace is for once we dont have an immediate flood risk but boy are we taking a battering here in Lincolnshire at the moment.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Morning all

i was out with a guy from the drainage board environment dept doing a wildlife survey on the drainage ditches around my paddocks this morning around 8am and it was blowing a hoolie but was dry, However and hour or so later all hell was let loose as i suspect a squall line came through, this has left a trail of very minor damage to various garden items which have reduced to tangled and bent bits of metal. But i have come off lightly in comparison to a friend 10-15 miles away at Spilsby who has lost all her dog kennels, they are all destroyed and has left roofing buried in trees and in the drainage courses. Her dogs are everywhere and ciaos ensues.

The only saving grace is for once we dont have an immediate flood risk but boy are we taking a battering here in Lincolnshire at the moment.

LO

How is Chris LO? (I interviewed him for that job!)

Just had a phone call from The Wife in Louth - she says there was a squall of spectacular proportions came through Louth about 9am.

Flooding issues not so serious in our neck of the woods at the moment - Might be interesting by saturday though.

Posted

The clip opens for me with realplayer, but it looks to have a funny ending.

We've had 30.6mm of rain since midnight, 23mm yesterday, 14.6mm the day before, just 3.2mm of the 15th (had to water my lawn that day), 8.2mm of the 14th, 24.8mm of the 13th and 14.4mm on the 12th. So in the past 6 days, I've had nearly 120mm of rain.

Posted

How is Chris LO? (I interviewed him for that job!)

Just had a phone call from The Wife in Louth - she says there was a squall of spectacular proportions came through Louth about 9am.

Flooding issues not so serious in our neck of the woods at the moment - Might be interesting by saturday though.

Yes chris Vic and the team are well, i agree we seem to be avoiding flood risk at this time, However there is a marked rise in water levels in the drainage courses at the moment but IMO nothing to worry about mainly due to surface water i suspect. My land is starting to struggle with drain off though due to the fact its been so dry here up to recent times. i have to be honest i have not looked at the situation regards Saturday at this time and i should look into it really. Its proving a problem with us at this time keeping the horses off the land to stop further damage, but i have a feeling we could hopefully see a pattern change to give us some restbite.

LO

Edited by Lincs Observation

Posted

If you look at this radar tracking around 9.30-10am onwards you can see the squall line form over us and move south (the bright orange line) it is now moving into Norfolk and weakening it seems.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

LO

Posted

200mm :crazy::shok::shok: that's not good,

Actually says 250mm on met office warnings now - see below

Rain will become very heavy and persistent early on Thursday and continue until Friday morning. Rainfall accumulations of 50-100mm are expected quite widely, with up to 250mm possible locally over high ground. With this amount of rain falling onto saturated ground there is a high risk of localised flooding.

The rain will be accompanied by severe gale force winds.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline, and Flood Warnings in force.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Posted
The public are advised to take extra care
During good weather, do they ever say that people can take less care than normal?

My wife and kids are at school just 4 miles out of Appleby, but because of the flooding, the only way they can get home is to go up to Penrith, down the M6, come off at Tebay and enter the village from the south. Rather than a 10 mile trip home, it's going to be a 40 mile journey home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Actually says 250mm on met office warnings now - see below

Rain will become very heavy and persistent early on Thursday and continue until Friday morning. Rainfall accumulations of 50-100mm are expected quite widely, with up to 250mm possible locally over high ground. With this amount of rain falling onto saturated ground there is a high risk of localised flooding.

The rain will be accompanied by severe gale force winds.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline, and Flood Warnings in force.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

That's quite extraordinary. Were those sort of rainfall levels to verify, given the high levels of rainfall over the past week or so (was it OON who said he'd had 120mm over the last 6 days) then that suggests a very rapidly deterioriating flood risk situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

So in the past 6 days, I've had nearly 120mm of rain.

Which is about 12mm more than I've had all month!.

A wet start to the day (by our standards ) with 11.4mm rain between midnight and 0900 and persistent light-moderate rain all morning, eventually dying out around 1300. Very mild and windy early on too with the temp' at 10.0c at 0900 falling back to 7.1c currently, and the wind which was averaging 34 mph SW at 0900 with a max' gust to 61 mph, is now around 15 mph SW/W.

Posted

Posted

a bit of a lull this morning, heavy rain overnight, a short peak of 43mm/hr about 02.30,

rain so far today 20mm, yesterday 11mm

wind light and southerly

Pressure just peaked at 1001mb and falling slightly

temp 10c

Local warnings about the possibility of shipping being disrupted tomorrow.