Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC News Article: 2009 One Of 5 Warmest On Record

snowking

Posted

From BBC News:

This year will be one of the top five warmest years globally since records began 150 years ago, according to figures compiled by the Met Office.

The UK's weather service projects that, unless there is an exceptionally cold spell before the end of the year, temperatures will be up on last year.

Climate sceptics had pointed out that the temperature rise appeared to have stalled in the last decade or so.

That was caused in part by the Pacific La Nina current, which cools the Earth.

But the influence of La Nina declined in the spring and the Met Office project that, barring a very cold December, this year will be the fifth warmest on record.

Other sources say it could even be the third warmest.

The last ten years have been in the top 15 warmest on record. And this summer the UK enjoyed temperatures higher than the long-term average.

Although the Met Office was pilloried after forecasting a "barbecue summer", it was their rainfall forecast, not the projected temperatures, that was wrong.

Next year we will see the influence of the warming El Nino current, and the Met Office says there is a 50% chance that global temperatures will hit an all-time high.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8377128.stm

Some of my favourite quotes from this:

"That was caused in part by the Pacific La Nina current, which cools the Earth."

Yes this last 10 years of complete la nina sure has been noticeable

"the Met Office says there is a 50% chance that global temperatures will hit an all-time high"

....yep, so theres also a 50% chance they wont. So what was actually the point of saying this?! Its told us nothing new

They need a new press team. Its one comical release after another.

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

They need a new press team. Its one comical release after another.

Knee Jerk reaction to the e-mail leak maybe ?

Lets face it they have 35 people already booked on a plane to the climate sumit.

Lets hope there is a mild end to the year mellow.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Knee Jerk reaction to the e-mail leak maybe ?

Lets face it they have 35 people already booked on a plane to the climate sumit.

Lets hope there is a mild end to the year mellow.gif

What we need is a giant snowstorm for Copenhagen, with temperatures around -20C, so we can have the headline: 'Saving the world from Global Warming Summit cancelled due to severe cold' yahoo.gif

Posted
This year will be one of the top five warmest years globally since records began 150 years ago

150 years ago? Yep, nothing happened beforehand.

The UK's weather service projects that, unless there is an exceptionally cold spell before the end of the year, temperatures will be up on last year

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/0000000000000554

Climate sceptics had pointed out that the temperature rise appeared to have stalled in the last decade or so

Climate alarmists is, of course, a term you never read or see on the BBC..

Other sources say it could even be the third warmest

Which sources?

The last ten years have been in the top 15 warmest on record. And this summer the UK enjoyed temperatures higher than the long-term average

On record? The 150 year record? Is this supposed to be "alarm" me?

Although the Met Office was pilloried after forecasting a "barbecue summer", it was their rainfall forecast, not the projected temperatures, that was wrong.

That's very big of them! They admit they got rainfall totals wrong - which NOBODY can predict (especially as we have the Atlantic ocean as a feeder for rainfall...) Yet, temperatures, which were projected (from CRU Hadley perchance?) were perhaps spot on according to them?

and the Met Office says there is a 50% chance that global temperatures will hit an all-time high.

50% chance that global temperatures will NOT be an all time high..

Who writes this clap-trap both within BBC reporting and MetO press office. It's laughable, it wasn't so sadly alarmist to my granny, or your uncle or little sister who doesn't have a clue about such things. They cater to alarm. End of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

What is the current situation with regards to global temps this year? I'm not sure where we stand.

I notice there's no quotes in the article and it's very short. It seems to be based on the Met Office's prediction of 2009 being one of the top 5 warmest years that they made in December last year.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2008/pr20081230.html

It's clearly a response to the email leak which Roger Harrabin has already dismissed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8371597.stm

While some of the sceptics are going the wrong way about this, Roger Harrabin seems like an equally deluded extremist. What an idiot.

Posted

Who writes this clap-trap both within BBC reporting and MetO press office. It's laughable, it wasn't so sadly alarmist to my granny, or your uncle or little sister who doesn't have a clue about such things. They cater to alarm. End of.

They report the news. Don't like it? I'm sure you can read a 'truth' you do like on a blog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

They report the news. Don't like it? I'm sure you can read a 'truth' you do like on a blog.

But it's clearly not the news as I've just shown. It's propaganda to feed people a certain line on climate change.

Edited by fozi999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

hmmm...has this year been warmer than last?..yes..has it been a cold year..no..has not every month since january been above average sometimes by quite a margin?..yes..have we seen any seriously below average months in the last 10 years..no..i think the facts speak for themselves...end of!

Posted

has not every month since january been above average sometimes by quite a margin?..yes..have we seen any seriously below average months in the last 10 years..no..i think the facts speak for themselves...end of!

Nope, February 0.1c below and July 0.4c below. August was only 0.4c above and September 0.5c above. December 2008 was 1.6c below normal and December 2001 1.5c below. October 2003 1.2c below, July 2007 1.3c below and March 2006 1.4c below. They are all well below normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/pr20091124a.html

Might as well have the meto's latest press release to highlight how they view the occurrence of climate change

Posted

More comical nonsense from the boys at the MetO! Now tell me again, how they don't factor AGW into everything they forecast! Historians will look back in anger, at how so few, conned so many! wallbash.gif

Posted

See post 230

It's a perfectly valid story and the stats speak for themselves.(and not just from Hadley).

I know the coolest fanatics like to gloss over the fact that temperature are still very very high, however you want to measure them and I notice on this thread they attack everything except for the whole point of the thread.

Still you never know with all the cooling that's been going on that they've been talking about for the last few years we might even end up with only the 6th warmest year over the last 150 years. !

Edited by Iceberg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

More comical nonsense from the boys at the MetO! Now tell me again, how they don't factor AGW into everything they forecast! Historians will look back in anger, at how so few, conned so many! wallbash.gif

It doesn't need 'factoring in' Solar, it just is...I don't think that the MetO has actually caused the year to be one of the warmest on record?? :)

You can't factor anything into the actual weather... :drinks:

Posted

It doesn't need 'factoring in' Solar, it just is...I don't think that the MentO has actually caused the year to be one of the warmest on record?? smile.gif

You can't factor anything into the actual weather... biggrin.gif

It's not that Pete, it's the woeful headline grabbing nonsense, that makes my blood boil. Also I'm far from convinced, that it is the warmest for 150 years.

Far to much fudged data and the likes, going on at the moment. With each passing day, my skepticism increases tenfold! wallbash.gif

Posted

Nope, February 0.1c below and July 0.4c below. August was only 0.4c above and September 0.5c above. December 2008 was 1.6c below normal and December 2001 1.5c below. October 2003 1.2c below, July 2007 1.3c below and March 2006 1.4c below. They are all well below normal.

But, aren't we talking global temperatures for 2009?

Posted

It's not that Pete, it's the woeful headline grabbing nonsense, that makes my blood boil. Also I'm far from convinced, that it is the warmest for 150 years.

Far to much fudged data and the likes, going on at the moment. With each passing day, my skepticism increases tenfold! wallbash.gif

I'm with you on that, Solar! :rolleyes:

But, IMO, a lot of that particular 'misunderstanding' comes from the media's inability (or unwillingness?) to differentiate between consistency and cause...

For, whilst any kind of 'freak' weather is always consistent with GW Theory; it's a load of sensationalist tosh to claim that GW is always the cause of individual 'freak' weather events. Said 'freak' weather have always happened and always will... :)

Posted

Aspects of the media, always takes things out of proportion.

However the BBC article quoted at the start of the thread, doesn't.

So what have the sceptics done, attacked headline grabbing nonsense (which isn't anything to do with the story nor the bbc), called AGW a con, called it propaganda etc.

The Globe is very warm compared to recent history, except it, get use to it and move on, or show that Spencer, RSS, NOAA, NCDC, Hadley and NASA are all wrong.!

Posted

Aspects of the media, always takes things out of proportion.

However the BBC article quoted at the start of the thread, doesn't.

So what have the sceptics done, attacked headline grabbing nonsense (which isn't anything to do with the story nor the bbc), called AGW a con, called it propaganda etc.

The Globe is very warm compared to recent history, except it, get use to it and move on, or show that Spencer, RSS, NOAA, NCDC, Hadley and NASA are all wrong.!

Exactly Ice...The sceptics have merely pulled another red-herring out the hat...

Edited by Pete Tattum
put in 'missing C'

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

Exactly Ice...The septics have merely pulled another red-herring out the hat...

That's not very nice Pete - I'm not septic, I just need a bath... :cold:

For once, though, I am in agreement with Iceberg (I'll pick you up off the floor in a minute, Ice!). The skeptic attacks on these hacks are, for the most part, unfounded and over the top. Most of the e-mails that have been presented by skeptics as "smoking guns" and "damning" are in fact nothing of the sort - the most likely explanations in most of these cases is that the skeptics have failed to understand the context of the e-mails, and in some cases have failed to understand what is written at all, regardless of context.

Interestingly, the e-mails which have shown some things that I would describe as "slightly unsettling" have not been made an issue of, as far as I can tell.

Well, at least this whole sorry debacle has reinvigorated my interest in the leaky integrator!

:lol:

CB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I reckon it would be a safe bet to say that 2009 lies somewhere near the bottom in terms of temps if you take the entire history of earth. But we can cherry pick the last 150 years I suppose to prove a point. Even if there is no real point.

I state again. Who cares? So we get to actually surf in the sea in England without a full wetsuit and risk of hypothermia. Sounds ideal to me. If I can turn my garden into a vineyard, even better.

If the Met Office want to change peoples opinions, perhaps they should get their presenters to say something other than "...at least its mild..."

Posted

That's not very nice Pete - I'm not septic, I just need a bath... :lol:

For once, though, I am in agreement with Iceberg (I'll pick you up off the floor in a minute, Ice!). The skeptic attacks on these hacks are, for the most part, unfounded and over the top. Most of the e-mails that have been presented by skeptics as "smoking guns" and "damning" are in fact nothing of the sort - the most likely explanations in most of these cases is that the skeptics have failed to understand the context of the e-mails, and in some cases have failed to understand what is written at all, regardless of context.

Interestingly, the e-mails which have shown some things that I would describe as "slightly unsettling" have not been made an issue of, as far as I can tell.

Well, at least this whole sorry debacle has reinvigorated my interest in the leaky integrator!

:cold:

CB

Yup - and well done to all the 'pros' who have just let the septics carry on spouting nonsense without rising - if I may be so bold, it seems to me that standards are rising. I've perused a few other fora and, frankly, what is being said is shocking.

I do like the delineation between sceptical and septical, though :wacko:

The LI predicts that we will be posting above average temperatures, so top-ten records are no surprise at all. Around 2012 (why is it that everything seems to be happening in 2012) should start to post below average years if the LI has any real, and not just theoretical, substance to it.

(Rewriting the source-code for LI so it is suitable for publication - when I get the time, which seems to be in short supply these days. I know that the run through is based on Excel, but the model itself is computed)

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

Sorry about that, guys...It was accidently on purpose... :lol: :cold: Anyhoo, I'm glad no-one has taken my (often somewhat 'challenged') humour the wrong way...

Keep going with the Leaky Integrator. :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If the Met Office want to change peoples opinions, perhaps they should get their presenters to say something other than "...at least its mild..."

You know what, that is exactly what I was thinking the other day! The BBC always start crying when there is a hint of a 0.0001c temperature rise in the next 100 years, saying it's the end of the world. But when it's 16c in the middle of January they have beaming smiles on their face!