Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hedgehog Out In November

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Spotted this little fellow out in the back garden at lunchtime and managed to grab a few shots through the patio door before the camera battery died. I cant remember seeing a hedgehog still out and about this time in the year and in daylight.

post-5683-12591657066076_thumb.jpg

post-5683-12591657312522_thumb.jpg

post-5683-12591657550391_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

What lovely photos! I used to look after orphan baby hedgehogs for Dorset Wildlife rescue. They are amazing little creatures. They have to reach a certain weight in order to hibernate and it appears that this little one was born late in the summer and is trying to find as much food as he/she can. If you could leave some cat food in a dish for it, or even better some live meal worms I am sure it would be very grateful. :p

PS Please do not give it bread and milk as you kill it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

What lovely photos! I used to look after orphan baby hedgehogs for Dorset Wildlife rescue. They are amazing little creatures. They have to reach a certain weight in order to hibernate and it appears that this little one was born late in the summer and is trying to find as much food as he/she can. If you could leave some cat food in a dish for it, or even better some live meal worms I am sure it would be very grateful. :p

PS Please do not give it bread and milk as you kill it!

We knew we had two adults living close by as we had seen them on several occasions through the summer around dusk, so it was a nice treat to see this little chappie snuffling around for about 40 mins on the back lawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I don't mean to worry you, but its not good if you saw him out in the daylight, usually mean they are ill. Was he really small, if so he may not make it through the winter.

If you see him again, it might be worth getting in touch with your local wildlife centre, they might take him in & look after him, feed him up so he can make it through the winter.

I have hedge hogs in my garden, saw one earlier this month, it was early morning ( still dark). He looked small also.

I give them hedge hog food every night, they seem to like it.

Posted

If anyone remembers my post earlier this year, I photographed one in my back garden in mid january. Two days later I found him run over on sunningdale avenue :p

EDIT..... Sorry It was December the 11th... Heres the thread

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

If anyone remembers my post earlier this year, I photographed one in my back garden in mid january. Two days later I found him run over on sunningdale avenue ;)

EDIT..... Sorry It was December the 11th... Heres the thread

I have a "Hedgepig" he turned up as a baby two years ago, eats all the slugs in the Garden and lives behind the shed.

The only problem I have is that the Cat's rather like him and they "hang out" which is nice, but they always have flea's all year round.

I de-flea the Cats but within a month they need doing again. Still he is worth it, dear little thing who even comes out during Summer evenings to sit with the Cat's.

Foxes too hang out with my elder Cat who incidentally is called "Mulder". lol

We look after him when the weather gets too cold. A great asset to the Garden.