Hot Planet Bbc1

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I hope as many of you watch or record this and then we can discuss its 'merits'

Its on 10.45pm tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jf6md

Posted

I managed thirty seconds, before tossing the TV out of the window!! 8)

...a bit precipitous, I think!! Whilst some of the content was 'deabteable', I thought the broad thrust of the sustainability angle to be very relevant, even if you didn't agree with their starting point.

The one issue that I thought was really interesting was about reducing birth rates. It has been found that the more educated girls become, the less likely they are to have babies young, and they are less likely to have many. Indeed in one state in India where education has been a major priority, the birth rate was well down, compared to a neighbouring state where education wasn't such a high priority, and the birth rate was higher.

No matter what your starting point re: AGW, climate change, 'denier' et al, for a sustainable future, these things are vital to know.

So, by fenestrating your TV after 30 seconds, you missed some very interesting information... :lol:

Cheers, 7&Y

Posted

Was quite an interesting one sided view. The only parts that weren't scaremongering was the sustainability bits, which you have to agree that cleaning up our act is a good thing.

I wonder if they can tell how much water vapour was in the atmosphere from those ice cores??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

...a bit precipitous, I think!! Whilst some of the content was 'deabteable', I thought the broad thrust of the sustainability angle to be very relevant, even if you didn't agree with their starting point.

The one issue that I thought was really interesting was about reducing birth rates. It has been found that the more educated girls become, the less likely they are to have babies young, and they are less likely to have many. Indeed in one state in India where education has been a major priority, the birth rate was well down, compared to a neighbouring state where education wasn't such a high priority, and the birth rate was higher.

No matter what your starting point re: AGW, climate change, 'denier' et al, for a sustainable future, these things are vital to know.

So, by fenestrating your TV after 30 seconds, you missed some very interesting information... rolleyes.gif

Cheers, 7&Y

I fell asleep so will have to re watch it the last 15%

To be fair although the standard inherent bias you know 1c warming since etc didn't mention the cooling since the 1000AD etc

I did find some things interesting

Items such as storing of CO2 in the Utah mountains which lets face it would be the only alternatively should a correlation between warming and CO2 been found.

The indians 'getting done' after they had 6 kids etc

It wasn't full of polar bears and melting ice flows so 4/10 maybe 5

As I said do need to watch the end

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Exactly, and that's a major reason why we face a dilemma regarding the developing world- if we let them develop we risk letting them develop every bit as unsustainably as the developed world has- but if we don't let them develop, it will help make sure that birth rates remain high, setting us up for even bigger problems in the future regarding sustainability and world poverty. The former is clearly the better option but how we set about it is critical.

Did the "Hot Planet" explore this kind of thing in any detail?

Posted

Did the "Hot Planet" explore this kind of thing in any detail?

Not in any major detail Ian but the program outlined the basics of the many AGW angles. It was interesting and worth watching. Of course they failed to mention that while the last decade has been the warmest on record, temperatures have failed to increase further. They also failed to mention the uncertainties of cloud effects etc... It could have been a balanced view but why bother I suppose?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Why not just help the Underdeveloped World develop sustainably??? We cannae just let them rot!!

Posted

Why not just help the Underdeveloped World develop sustainably??? We cannae just let them rot!!

100% agreed Pete.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Aye, I completely agree as well- perhaps how we work towards achieving that should be one of the main talking points at Copenhagen? Sadly I'm not convinced that it will be...

Posted

Do yourself a favour and don't bother! I caught the last ten minutes or so quite by chance (I didn't know it was on) and all I heard was a garbled stream of 'ifs,buts and maybes' and rises of 3C wiping us all out. Or summat! Bog standard alarmist fare,really. Complete tosh,of course. SC - think I'll chuck my telly out the window (when it's wide open!),too. There is absolutely nothing on (and the missus insists we have three million channels) except Spongebob,and they're all repeats.

Look,if we wanna talk about sustainability,resource depletion,overpopulation,pollution etc etc,that's fine. Leave out the 'AGW' bit though - it's wearing tenuously thin and I think most folk can see it's a catch-all for the aforementioned concerns,as well as other things....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

If every country becomes as developed as the West, how do we propose to feed everyone? Assuming at the sametime said countries move away from agriculture in a bid to have their very own banking collapse.

I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that there are ways and means...

Posted

Look,if we wanna talk about sustainability,resource depletion,overpopulation,pollution etc etc,that's fine. Leave out the 'AGW' bit though - it's wearing tenuously thin and I think most folk can see it's a catch-all for the aforementioned concerns,as well as other things....

There's a strong case for the first half of your post (I actually favour the sustainability angle myself). But the last bit is extremely predictable. Most of Joe Public disbelieve in AGW because they WANT it not to exist (and because they know they're being mislead about it by the politicians, leading to them tarring the science with the same brush), not because of any strong line of evidence. (And I don't consider "I'm right because I'm right" a strong line of evidence for any position).

I realise my first post could easily be misinterpreted as a false dilemma of the form "do we let the developing countries develop unsustainably or not at all?", which certainly wasn't the intention. It was more relating to issues like what Dartmoor_Matt mentions above- I'm absolutely sure that what Pete Tattum said above is the best way forward, but how to do it is something that needs a great deal of thought.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Was quite an interesting one sided view. The only parts that weren't scaremongering was the sustainability bits, which you have to agree that cleaning up our act is a good thing.

I wonder if they can tell how much water vapour was in the atmosphere from those ice cores??

Exactly, I did force myself to watch it, and the evidence as usual was OTT. But being a true green, I totally agreed with the cleaning up our planet!

Unfortunately our saviour Gordon Broon could!

Posted

To be fair although the standard inherent bias you know 1c warming since etc didn't mention the cooling since the 1000AD etc

I did find some things interesting

Items such as storing of CO2 in the Utah mountains which lets face it would be the only alternatively should a correlation between warming and CO2 been found.

The indians 'getting done' after they had 6 kids etc

It wasn't full of polar bears and melting ice flows so 4/10 maybe 5

Ah - just one small thing, I watched a different programme!! I watched Horizon about how many people Earth can sustain - so, forget all the above !!! :nonono: