Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Colder air near Christmas is more to watch than this pathetic easterly.

A northerly could put us all in with a white christmas.

with all due respect, this Easterly may not be pathetic for areas in the South and East - Im already starting to see little posts like this with whole runs discounted because they show good potential for the East and not elsewhere. A message to these posters is to be careful what you wish for - models are renound for struggling with cold/snow, but when we get a good E'rly then very often this is followed by a'suprise' event which affects more of the country as a whole

Just to point out, the last real white christmas in 2004 - whilst dumping the west with snow, completely bypassed this part of the world, so It would only be fair for us to see some season wintry weather on Xmas day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Hey Paul- any reports from the hills of Kent..?- I guess wrotham & bluebell must be getting some wintryness by now..

S

I'm literally in Wrotham now, on the foot of the Downs. 4c and no ppn at all sadly.......:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

SNOW ! on countryfile forcast for weekahead ! :) it had the snow over me just! ne england come on son! :):p

I missed it , i thought it wasn't on until 7-8pm

Posted

just decoded this RTTY transmission from the GERMAN WEATHER SERVICE HAMBURG using multipsk

some body getting snow and not to far away east

WESTERN BALTIC:

NORTHEAST TO NORTH ABOUT 3, IN THE WESTERN PART LATER LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS, LOCALT MIY, SEA 0,5 METRE.

SOUTHERN BALTIC:

NORTHERLY WINDS 4 TO 5, WESTERN PART FIRST 3 TO 4, SNOWSQUALLS.

BODDENGEWAESSER EAST:

NORTHWEST TO NORTH ABOUT 3, INCREASING A LITTLE, ISOLATED

SNOWSQUALLS, SEA 0,5 METRE.

SOUTHEASTERN BALTIC:

NORTHERLY WINDS 5, SNOWSQUALLS, LOCALLY MISTY, SEA ABOUT 1

METRE, INCREASING TO 2 METRE.

CENTRAL BALTIC SEA:

NORTH ABOUT 5, SHIFTING NORTHEAST, SNOWSQUALLS, SEA 1 METRE,

LATER ABOUT 2 METRE.

NORTERN BALTIC:

NORTH 4 TO 5, FOR A TIME INCREASING 6, SHIFTING EAST, FIRST

SNOWSQUALLS SEA 0,5 TO 1 METRE, INCREASING ABOUT 2 METRE.

GULF T

TA:

NORTHEAST 3 TO 4, INCREASING 6, SHIFTING EAST, FIRST

SNOWSQUALLS, SEA 0,5 METRE, LATER UP TO 1,5 METRE.

Posted

Imagine the old days when none of us followed the models as religiously as we do now...that week ahead forecast just now would have got us all excited without worrying what model was showing what! And I remember the BBC week ahead forecasts seldom got it wrong when talking about bitterly cold easterly winds setting in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

with all due respect, this Easterly may not be pathetic for areas in the South and East - Im already starting to see little posts like this with whole runs discounted because they show good potential for the East and not elsewhere. A message to these posters is to be careful what you wish for - models are renound for struggling with cold/snow, but when we get a good E'rly then very often this is followed by a'suprise' event which affects more of the country as a whole

Just to point out, the last real white christmas in 2004 - whilst dumping the west with snow, completely bypassed this part of the world, so It would only be fair for us to see some season wintry weather on Xmas day :)

We only had one decent snow event last winter, and that melted over night! 1 foot of snow gone by morning.... It would be only fair for us to get something that can last more than 6 hours :p

Posted

We only had one decent snow event last winter, and that melted over night! 1 foot of snow gone by morning.... It would be only fair for us to get something that can last more than 6 hours :)

You had 1 foot of snow in Runcorn last winter?!

Posted

latest rtty transmission from the german weather sevice haamburg general synopsis for northern europe 12zutc

just to keep tabs on whats happening in real time

WEATHERREPORT FOR GERMAN COAST

ISSUED BY MARINE WEATHER SERVICE HAMBURG

13.12.2009, 12 UTCGENERAL SYNOPTIC SITUATION:

LARGE HIGH 1036 SCOTLAND, WEAKENING, MOVING NORTHWEST. RIDGE

1030 SOUTHEASTNORWAY, WEAKENING, MOVING SOUTH, TOMORROW MORNING

1025 NORTHGERMANY. FURTHER RIDGE 1020 NORTHWEST OF CAPE

FINISTERRE, WEAKENING A LITTLE. LOW 1018 NORTHEAST OF JAN

MAYEN, MOVING SOUTHEAST SLOWLY. DEVELOPING SECONDARY DEPRESSION

NEXT NIGHT 1020 JUST NORTHWEST CAPE SVINOEY, DEEPENING A

LITTLE, MOVING SOUTH, TOMORROW NOON 1017 FORTIES. LOW 1009

NORTHRUSSIA WITH TROUGH 1025 SOUTHEASTERN BALTIC, NEARLY

UNCHANGED. HIGH 1040 EAST OF SVALBARD, WEAKENING, MOVING

SOUTHEAST. RIDGE 1030 CENTRAL SWEDEN, NEARLY AEED. GALE

CENTRE @-4 '3-, WEAKENING, MOVING NORTHWEST. SECONDARY

DEPRESSION 989 AT 50 NORTH 30 WEST W

NING A LITTLE, MOVING

SOUTH.

Posted

Imagine the old days when none of us followed the models as religiously as we do now...that week ahead forecast just now would have got us all excited without worrying what model was showing what! And I remember the BBC week ahead forecasts seldom got it wrong when talking about bitterly cold easterly winds setting in.

excellent point there Paul I remember them days..

Strange really at it was the same for storms prediction's.

Its like the more technology we get the more we cant forecast correctly...lol

But your right they got it correct on many occasion's then with snow..

and BlackDown....you remind me of WW11 DECODING THE GERMANY ARMY :wallbash:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

You had 1 foot of snow in Runcorn last winter?!

Yah, February. Was actually more than 1 foot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Are you sure?!blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good point! What about the 'even older days' when there weren't any models to follow? The old Farmers' Forecast went about as far ahead as anyone could...A forecast like today's was music to my ears! :wallbash:

Posted

I'd be very shocked if that was true? 30-40cm of snow was some of the higher totals received in the more favoured areas for snow during the February cold spell. The most that was seen in the North West was just a few inches I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Yes just thinking the same thing. Back in the early 80's used to record Weatherfile on our new VHS Viideorecorder and watch expectantly on returning home from Church.

Posted

Good point! What about the 'even older days' when there weren't any models to follow? The old Farmers' Forecast went about as far ahead as anyone could...A forecast like today's was music to my ears! yahoo.gif

I missed it.....because I thought it was only on in the evenings now (at which time Im usually watchign Xfactor *ahem* ..... ) ha

Posted

UK Outlook for Thursday 17 Dec 2009 to Saturday 26 Dec 2009:

The cold weather continues with a biting northeasterly wind and some sleet or snow showers. These are likely to be most frequent in eastern parts with the risk of some heavy snow over high ground. Western parts of the UK will be mostly dry and have the best of the sunshine. From Saturday (19th) until Monday (21st) the weather remains cold with overnight frost and some icy surfaces. Further rain, sleet and snow showers are likely in eastern and northeastern parts but with a risk of the wintry weather spreading to many parts of the UK. Breezy at times and feeling very cold in the wind. From Monday (21st) until Boxing Day (26th) it looks like staying cold with further wintry showers.

Updated: 1111 on Sat 12 Dec 2009

just noticed that's a old update Sat :wallbash:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

To add also, Ipswich has seen showers all morning - it shows than whenever (even a light) E'erly prevails, showers always pop up - with colder air over the warm North Sea this would be even more so the case, with thepotential of troughs etc depending on the strength of the airflow - which is yet to be decided - snow, time and time again, surprises people. People forget this year after year....

Posted

The cold weather continues with a biting northeasterly wind and some sleet or snow showers. These are likely to be most frequent in eastern parts with the risk of some heavy snow over high ground. Western parts of the UK will be mostly dry and have the best of the sunshine. From Saturday (19th) until Monday (21st) the weather remains cold with overnight frost and some icy surfaces. Further rain, sleet and snow showers are likely in eastern and northeastern parts but with a risk of the wintry weather spreading to many parts of the UK. Breezy at times and feeling very cold in the wind. From Monday (21st) until Boxing Day (26th) it looks like staying cold with further wintry showers.

That's old news, check the update date.

Posted

just noticed that's a old update Sat laugh.gif

That sat one there not updated it yetbiggrin.gif

Posted

Unlike many it seems I was dissapointed by that forecast. I remember the CF forecast from last Feb showing heavy widespread snow lasting for most of the week in the East, which is what we got. What that forecast showed was sleety showers over Eastern areas and he wasn't even bullish about that. The City forecasts showed dry and around 2/3c on Friday. In many parts of Europe in December that would be classed as just an average winters day. Coupled with the forecast for thursday on meto sight of "showers -wintry on hills on Thurs" I can't see what the hype is about!?

Posted

Unlike many it seems I was dissapointed by that forecast. I remember the CF forecast from last Feb showing heavy widespread snow lasting for most of the week in the East, which is what we got. What that forecast showed was sleety showers over Eastern areas and he wasn't even bullish about that. The City forecasts showed dry and around 2/3c on Friday. In many parts of Europe in December that would be classed as just an average winters day. Coupled with the forecast for thursday on meto sight of "showers -wintry on hills on Thurs" I can't see what the hype is about!?

It's because - like us - they ain't got a clue!