Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Is anyone else getting 28 January 2004 vibes off the 06z for Saturday, it's not quite the same but looks fairly similar with a trough/cold front sweeping down from the North unless things change.

The next few days look a tad confusing with the potential for snow probably always staying to far east of here.

Posted

no posts...WHAT NO POSTS!!! :whistling:

looking good for the Uk now...

I reckon 6 inches for the Midlands and about 1ft for the North with the East around 8 inches :yahoo:

trying to snow here or sleet

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

and 0feet down here :whistling:

Feels cold this morning, indeed its just 2.7C at the moment.

Posted

no posts...WHAT NO POSTS!!! :whistling:

looking good for the Uk now...

I reckon 6 inches for the Midlands and about 1ft for the North with the East around 8 inches :yahoo:

Hi, Dogs.

Haven't been on here for a while - apologies. This from the UKMO a couple of minutes ago:

Sunny intervals with a cold north-easterly wind in Scotland, Northern Ireland and South-east England. Elsewhere cloudy, cold, with outbreaks of rain and drizzle, possibly snow in eastern and central England.

Updated: 1112 on Mon 14 Dec 2009

Looks good!

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

Can any1 give me an idea of when to expect snow in the manchester area?? WIll it be from this easterly or from the northerly. Will it be heavy?? I have a few people i need to take care of if this cold weather does come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

and 0feet down here wink.gif

Feels cold this morning, indeed its just 2.7C at the moment.

nonono.gifblink.gifcray.gifcray.gif

Posted

Hi, Dogs.

Haven't been on here for a while - apologies. This from the UKMO a couple of minutes ago:

Sunny intervals with a cold north-easterly wind in Scotland, Northern Ireland and South-east England. Elsewhere cloudy, cold, with outbreaks of rain and drizzle, possibly snow in eastern and central England.

Updated: 1112 on Mon 14 Dec 2009

Looks good!

Regards,

Mike.

hi mate,

havent seen you for a very long time....nice to see some old members back on here...

yes that forecast could come true...

The drizzle here is trying to turn with the odd small grain of sleet..

I reckon I few surprises within the next 7 days for some..

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

nonono.gifblink.gifcray.gifcray.gif

You'll probably do better up your way! drinks.gif

Posted

hi mate,

havent seen you for a very long time....nice to see some old members back on here...

yes that forecast could come true...

The drizzle here is trying to turn with the odd small grain of sleet..

I reckon I few surprises within the next 7 days for some..

Thanks, Dogs.

You're right - the next few days hold something potent.

Here's hoping!

Mike.

Posted

news.bbc.co.uk

Half of the UK's local authorities only have enough road salt for six days of continuous freezing, the AA has said. The motoring organisation said it has been told that local councils have 250,000 tonnes less road salt in stock than they would have had a decade ago.

That's handy then :whistling:

Posted

Latest snow cover over europe for the last couple of days has increased considerably... hopefully should keep temps down.

Posted

news.bbc.co.uk

That's handy then :whistling:

you know they must tell us a load of crap half the time..

I distintively remember watching the news within 8 weeks timescale ago about they have more than a enough so UK wont get caught out like FEB09 :good:

I think they say what we wont to hear..

anyway got my shovel and my first aid rescue pack JUST in case J.snow forecast comes true :D

dont fancy digging through 20-30ft drifts :D

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I've looked at the GFS charts for snow risk.

Can someone give me permission to get excited about thursday's prospects here and tell my kids? I'm scared to as I have let them own so many times in the past! Last year I saw the best ever snowfall we have had in their lifetimes (and one of the best in mine) but they were in Ireland at the time! Please let it come good this year :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

definately on the edge for sleet here...

Though it feels warm to me

Just looked on radar and there seems to be some sleet turning to snow in the East

Wow it must be a lot colder with you than here. We have drizzle and a temperature of 4.5, DP of 4.4 and we're not even *that* far away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The negative posts on here and in the model thread are unbelievable, and completely unjustified. With the cold and instability from midweek onwards many areas will see snow with the potential of some signnifcant snow by the weekend. Even the initial Easterly looks like it will deliver for eastern areas of the country...so very much ti play for. It never ceases to AMAZE me...!

Posted

Hi all,

To pull this one off around here in Derbyshire what needs to happen. As in what Temp's and Dew Point do we need and is it the Front or back end of the rain coming in

Chris

Posted

Wow it must be a lot colder with you than here. We have drizzle and a temperature of 4.5, DP of 4.4 and we're not even *that* far away!

Hi I think it must be the temps higher up..

Its nothing to jump up and down about but as I look up in the shadow of the gutter's of my house I can just see the odd sleet .

Nothing speacial but I wouldnt be surprised as dark falls this turn's into snow or wet snow....though light in nature...

Looking at the GFS charts they looks fantastic for snow towards the weekend.

Just hope its the heavy stuff not light

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dew points here ensuring anything that falls is rain.

It'll be a few days before the proper cold air arrives then we may see some action.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

news.bbc.co.uk

That's handy then doh.gif

That simply is not acceptable. Did they not learn ANY lessons from February? It's not as if they haven't had enough time to build up the reserves, they have had all summer.

Anyway. 4c here, dew point is plummeting though, dropped from 1.9c to 1.4c in the last hour. Any precipitation that makes it this far inland could be a bit wintry.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Its a real risk Kold and a growing one IMO.

I'm having a few doubts now to be honest,not about the pattern in general but the trend away from the -10 stuff

hitting us.We need that colder air to bring the snow,anything less with a warm North sea could see modification.

Places with altitude should be OK,but low lying areas near coasts MIGHT struggle.

EDIT BBC showing 4 on thur in London and 2 on Fri,make of that what you will but 4 degrees is not what i though

we'd be seeing Thur in a bitter Easterly.

With regards to the BBC forecasts, I would take their temperature predictions with a pinch of salt. I have noticed that pretty much all their readings have been at least 1-2C higher on the forecasts than actually achieved. 8C was progged for Bristol on Friday with fog lifting into cloud. Although the latter was right, it barely reached 4C. I think the main thing to look for is what the graphics show surely, how far inland the showers get and what the showers are actually of i.e. rain, sleet or snow.

Can we assume that the BBC take into account the sea temperatures in the North Sea when forecasting what type of precipitation is falling and perhaps that is why they show higher than expected temperatures. ?

Posted

Typical BBC journalism though the council rep goes on about having other plans to keep roads open, apart from grit i'd really like to know what these plans are. Perhaps they intend to pipe the waffle these people spout onto the roads use the hot air to melt anything?

I really hope we get something from this cold spell. It was certainly chilly here last night, more so than we've seen before this winter at the moment it's very cloudy and damp/drizzly cool but not cold...

Posted

Still need to watch the eastern flank of that front overnight, wouldn't surprise me at all to see some snow there as temps drop overnight steadily. This will be an event that I think may well catch the beeb on the hop if we get any heavier precip in there.

The 06z also has pushed the system just a little more to the SE over the last few runs, now reaching the edges of London according to the 06z run.

So keep an eye if you live from the Wash down to the home counties and maybe even some eastern parts of CS England tonight, relaly can't rule out snow in some places, height will make a massive difference in this set-up.