Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Hi fear sneachta,

I love our Irish Met office weather forecasters.

Seriously, whilst we here have been trying to put some detail on what will happen for the last 2 weeks the only thing we have got correct that there will be a cold/very cold run up to Christmas, This scenario has been changing by the day and still is too close to call for detail.

Can you imagine if they even said yesterday or the day before that there would be a wintry outbreak especially in the east. Now it looks like the north is the more likely place to get a good blast from this setup. This could also change in the next 24 hours.

I think our met people and the UK met office are right not to call it too early. We can afford to make mistakes they cant.

Not to dampen peoples spirits too much i really do hope we get a good pasting but dont set your expectations too high.

Hi John,

In fairness, if you go back over the posts, you will see that I did NOT say anything to the contrary. I was actually standing up for Met Eireann. I was misquoted earlier unfortunately. If you go back to post #53, you'll see it was Ronan who said it.

Met Eireann are still downplaying all of this. Maybe they're right too. Often these 'cold spells' end up just a wild goose chase, when Ireland is concerned. It's Britain that gets the real snow. :rolleyes:

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

nw are forecasting snow as early as thrusday , but i think the snow will be worst at sunday morning saturday night and thank god maxes will be 3c tomorrow becuase im sick of this 6c max and rain ughhhhh!!!! when are the temps expected to go down in ni tonight?????

Well the skies are clearing now Joe so expect the temps to start to dip soon I'm going for -3 for me tonight

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Well the skies are clearing now Joe so expect the temps to start to dip soon I'm going for -3 for me tonight

ok thx again, hopefully itll get to 0c tonight then stay 2c as forecasted.... on the cloud its weirdly clearing from the north east how funny!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

BBC NI News have issued a weather watch for snow on Sunday

yea thats from the meto how much snow do you expect us to get out of this snow of saturday night i think 2-5cm is too small going by others and the models.....

Posted

Depends on your location Joe I would think we will see more than 5cms of snow, but anything we get is a bonus so early in winter, even in the 80s and early 90s we didn't see much snow until Jan. Well for my area anyway, I usually managed a coupke of weeks of school, imagine my dismay at lots of snow and no schoolcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi John,

In fairness, if you go back over the posts, you will see that I did NOT say anything to the contrary. I was actually standing up for Met Eireann. I was misquoted earlier unfortunately. If you go back to post #53, you'll see it was Ronan who said it.

Met Eireann are still downplaying all of this. Maybe they're right too. Often these 'cold spells' end up just a wild goose chase, when Ireland is concerned. It's Britain that gets the real snow. :air_kiss:

Apologies fear sneachta, Your reply to Ronan did not include his quote correctly making it look like you were posting it, a mix up I guess.

I think their downplaying is wise as it will be a very marginal episode in a lot of areas. they dont want egg on their faces.

Posted

Depends on your location Joe I would think we will see more than 5cms of snow, but anything we get is a bonus so early in winter, even in the 80s and early 90s we didn't see much snow until Jan. Well for my area anyway, I usually managed a coupke of weeks of school, imagine my dismay at lots of snow and no schoolcrazy.gif

yea i doubt were going to get 2cm from an all day night snow shower situation with sub zero temps id say around 15cm for here and snow showres maybe coming from tomorrow afternoon someone else said that 2

Posted

Hello Ben welcome to the Ireland forum, RTE weather at 9.30 showed some showers coming of the Irish sea around your area from tomorrow, as Baltic says Sat & Sun could be intersting.

I also noticed that the rte weather indicated showers (snow) for Monday as welldrinks.gif

Posted

Well ite squeaky bum clean time now we just want upgrades from now on in no time for downgrades charts look good for snowfall right through to wednesday so hopefull some good amounts of snow id say 15 cm quite widely and maybe some with 1 foot!!!!

Last white christmas was in 2005 it fell early xmas morning had 2-3 inch!!!

i remembmer that it snowed all night!

Posted

Well ite squeaky bum clean time now we just want upgrades from now on in no time for downgrades charts look good for snowfall right through to wednesday so hopefull some good amounts of snow id say 15 cm quite widely and maybe some with 1 foot!!!!

Last white christmas was in 2005 it fell early xmas morning had 2-3 inch!!!

what areas should be worst affected and is that snowfall through the whole period or just saturday night?:whistling:

Posted

Saturday night is looking better and better the closer we get..Heavy Snow to all levels

i wonder if meto willupdate there warnings tomorrow morning and put the snow level higher...:drinks:

Posted

Yeah I rember 2005 we had 2 white christmases in a row!!

Thaw started on St Stephens day

I remember it also. Had just left Carols by Candlelight at about 12.30am in a beautiful country Church, looked up and it started snowing. A real "Thats just like the Guinness advert", moment!

Fit to burst here because my daughter hasn't really seen snow yet!

Posted

i wonder if meto willupdate there warnings tomorrow morning and put the snow level higher...:drinks:

If their models show anything like what tonights 18z is, then they will have to. We are going to get buried. Snow starting Saturday night and throughout Sunday.

Marvellous.

Posted

I remember it also. Had just left Carols by Candlelight at about 12.30am in a beautiful country Church, looked up and it started snowing. A real "Thats just like the Guinness advert", moment!

Fit to burst here because my daughter hasn't really seen snow yet!

I know what you mean Baltic my three year can remeber throwing snowballs at me last year so if we get any this weekend I'm in for a pasting, plus how christmasy will it feel. ALL TOGETHER NOW "I'm dreaming of a white christmas......drunk.gif