Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welsh Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

The Northerly looks interesting for us in Wales, I remember the last potent Northerly we had where BBC and Met Office forecast us a "dusting" at bes, when in realtiy we ended up with 3-4 inches of lovely powdery snow. That was from an unexpected trough and there can be lots of troughs in these Northerlies that can spring up surprises.

The other area of interest is next week from the Atlantic nudging into the cold block over us. Potential very significant frontall snowfall from a situation like that, one that has been very productive for us in recent years.

We must admit mind what a poor shot this cold spell has been? night minima hasn't been that low due to cloud cover it's not that special compared to the snowfest we were all looking forward too on Friday.

Well the cold spell hasn't really started yet. The past week has just been the build up.

Posted

The Northerly looks interesting for us in Wales, I remember the last potent Northerly we had where BBC and Met Office forecast us a "dusting" at bes, when in realtiy we ended up with 3-4 inches of lovely powdery snow. That was from an unexpected trough and there can be lots of troughs in these Northerlies that can spring up surprises.

The other area of interest is next week from the Atlantic nudging into the cold block over us. Potential very significant frontall snowfall from a situation like that, one that has been very productive for us in recent years.

Well the cold spell hasn't really started yet. The past week has just been the build up.

True enough after that february spell i rember no snow was forecast on the friday night but we had heavy showers that alligned into a band of snow and gave us around 4 hours of persistent snow here had 4 inches on top of the 8 inches we had lying around, was great.

Posted

Good point until friday saturday winds then favour us not the east coast.Have patience it will be rewarded.

Posted

True enough after that february spell i rember no snow was forecast on the friday night but we had heavy showers that alligned into a band of snow and gave us around 4 hours of persistent snow here had 4 inches on top of the 8 inches we had lying around, was great.

Yes that was very memorable that Feb event, one of the biggest forecasting cock ups in history. I remember the BBC forecast at 10:30pm showing nothing but a bit of patchy rain in Cornwall for the following day when in fact we had a big dumping. A typical battleground scenario was that, hope we have another and the cold wins...

Edited by Barb

Posted

Yes, Where's Shaun me and him were at our element that night over msn watchin the precipitation charts like hawks and then suddenly i reported snow (being higher up on the western flank of the brecon beacons) and shaun was convinced it wasnt going to hit him and If i'm wright I'm sure he managed a good covering too if not the same as me? Back me up shaun <_<

As we say in Welsh - Er mwyn y Nefoedd jyst Bwra Eira, For heaven's sake just snow :drinks:

EIRA - SNOW

Right excitemenet over, let's get some life into this Welsh thread.

Rhowch Gymru ar y Map :yahoo:

Posted

Yes, Where's Shaun me and him were at our element that night over msn watchin the precipitation charts like hawks and then suddenly i reported snow (being higher up on the western flank of the brecon beacons) and shaun was convinced it wasnt going to hit him and If i'm wright I'm sure he managed a good covering too if not the same as me? Back me up shaun :good:

As we say in Welsh - Er mwyn y Nefoedd jyst Bwra Eira, For heaven's sake just snow B)

EIRA - SNOW

Right excitemenet over, let's get some life into this Welsh thread.

Rhowch Gymru ar y Map :)

:drinks: That was great yes. Good times.

Anyway;

I am hoping for at least a dusting before or on Christmas with this cold spell! Wishful thinking some may say.

Posted

:drinks: That was great yes. Good times.

Anyway;

I am hoping for at least a dusting before or on Christmas with this cold spell! Wishful thinking some may say.

Yes good times :good: And me , i had sleet today which was unexpected so let's give a yes to wishfull thinking hehe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

We could well get snow out of a battleground situation if we are on the northern edge of the low, theres a chance of that happening next week as shown on the ECM.

Posted

I don't personally like the snow risk or the Will it snow forecasts, Snow is so hard to pin point those forcasts are what 20% accurate at best?

Posted

ECM very interesting indeed, deep low pressure with Low Pressure of -4 to -6c and bitterly cold low level air.

If that were to materialize what would the outcome mean for us here in Wales as a whole?

Posted

If that were to materialize what would the outcome mean for us here in Wales as a whole?

Blizzards...

Big if though of course.

Posted

Maybe If will be on our side this time? Tri Cynnig i Gymro?

Posted

Snow upgrade for us in Wales on the 18z GFS, could give a few inches on Saturday night/Sunday morning!

Rmgfs1023.gif

Posted

Snow upgrade for us in Wales on the 18z GFS, could give a few inches on Saturday night/Sunday morning!

Rmgfs1023.gif

Great stuff, Let's hope that could becomes a Will hey :lol: But i wouldn't bank on it just yet plenty of time for that to change.

Posted

Thanks for that.Looks like we are going to get some on fri/sat but looks like it is going to get really cold. 1 deg in the daytime, max!!.

Probably is going to be very cold, and if the conditions are right you will get snow providing you get PPN.

Hopefully this will happen:

ukprec.png

uksnowdepth.png

Edited by shaunwales

Posted

More fun on Sunday night/Monday morning:

Rmgfs1383.gif

Very uncertain yet, but fingers crossed.

Posted

More fun on Sunday night/Monday morning:

Very uncertain yet, but fingers crossed.

Beat me to it :D

Yes looks interesting!

ukprec.png

uksnowdepth.png

BUT THIS IS REALLY a LONG LONG time away.

So think nothing of it now, except, it might snow hell of a lot. Again, wishful thinking :lol:

Don't get to excited.

Posted

Let's keep our whits about ourselves theres plenty of time for this to change.

Posted

Yes very uncertain at the moment, we could easily get nothing - no time to get excited yet. Some nice POTENTIAL though, but thats all it is at the moment. Fingers crossed though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

18Z gives the risk of some snow showers on Saturday then later Saturday into Sunday a front coming down from the North could give a spell of snow:

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20091215/18/102/ukprec.png

Posted

For extra fun it goes for a megablizzard from an undercutting low on Christmas day.

Edited by Barb