Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I think the devil is in the detail and even this far out its impossible to predict exactly where the snow will fall. All to play for yet, although the charts are not too good for central scotland areas i.e edin/central to Glasgow at the mo, all can change with slight shifts in the overall pattern.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

TBH I'm getting a funny feeling that this will be a total none event for Falkirk and the Central Belt sad.gif

Aye you could be correct Scotweather!whistling.gif

That was pretty much the case last winter when there was snow a plenty to the North, East, South and West of the central belt, but all we had was a FEW flakes even though it was cold enough wallbash.gif

The precipitation missed us completlysad.gif It always finds us though when there is rain on offerdoh.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Not much snow would close it at Dalwhinnie and a few other higher points

that worries me as liveing on a remote scottish island, all are food comes via the A9, and to get no food deliverys in the week before x-mas wouldn't be fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Aye you could be correct Scotweather!whistling.gif

That was pretty much the case last winter when there was snow a plenty to the North, East, South and West of the central belt, but all we had was a FEW flakes even though it was cold enough wallbash.gif

The precipitation missed us completlysad.gif It always finds us though when there is rain on offerdoh.gif

Big Innes

I think you're right after Saturday, Innes. It does look like showers just tend to hog the usual west and north coasts. However, I think Saturday has real potential, given that it is not a convection event and a frontal event, so the highland snow stopper won't come into play ! The easterly has upgraded a bit too, with Thursday night into Friday looking quite decent at the moment. Will it be enough to beat the East central (and in particular west Fife) snowshield? Anyone's guess at the momentbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

I think you're right after Saturday, Innes. It does look like showers just tend to hog the usual west and north coasts. However, I think Saturday has real potential, given that it is not a convection event and a frontal event, so the highland snow stopper won't come into play ! The easterly has upgraded a bit too, with Thursday night into Friday looking quite decent at the moment. Will it be enough to beat the East central (and in particular west Fife) snowshield? Anyone's guess at the momentbiggrin.gif

Hi LS,

It just gets a bit frustrating these days, as the snow events have passing us by and we are left with no invitation to the party help.gif

But! we may just be in for a winter of old this timecold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hi LS!

It just gets a bit frustrating these days, as the snow events have passing us by and we are left with no invitation to the party help.gif

But! we may just be in for a winter of old this timecold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Big Innes

Hi Innes. Don't know if you remember last winter when Mondy posted a satellite picture of Scotland? The east central belt was absolutely snowless whilst everywhere else was white!

If the same happens again this year I think I'll give up. Still, if you're stuck on the top of Knockhill then you have a much better chance than most of us I would think. :drinks:

Posted

I have a saying at just after all the hype....GABIS (gone away before it started)

I am NOT holding my breath for lots of snow! We've just had 4 days of sub zero temps and barely a flake to be had with this morning's precipitation.

It would have to be one stiff Easterly breeze to give us a good covering of snow in Falkirk!

Lets just face it Falkirk is just in the wrong place with the Trossachs to the West, Highlands to the North, Cumbrian Hills to the South West and the Cheviot Hills to the South.....we ARE doomed !

Opps forgot the Pentlands to our South East.... dooomed !

Posted

I have a saying at just after all the hype....GABIS (gone away before it started)

I am NOT holding my breath for lots of snow! We've just had 4 days of sub zero temps and barely a flake to be had with this morning's precipitation.

It would have to be one stiff Easterly breeze to give us a good covering of snow in Falkirk!

Lets just face it Falkirk is just in the wrong place with the Trossachs to the West, Highlands to the North, Cumbrian Hills to the South West and the Cheviot Hills to the South.....we ARE doomed !

Opps forgot the Pentlands to our South East.... dooomed !

Is there any direction from where you have done/will do well from? :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi Innes. Don't know if you remember last winter when Mondy posted a satellite picture of Scotland? The east central belt was absolutely snowless whilst everywhere else was white!

If the same happens again this year I think I'll give up. Still, if you're stuck on the top of Knockhill then you have a much better chance than most of us I would think. smile.gif

That pic is, in fact, my avatar picture! Surely that means we're due for a dumping this year? Remember, it is only December, so plenty of time for snow before the end of February! Let's not right off this spell either, an easterly wind with snow showers can easily deliver - I recall getting 4 inches of snow in Crieff from a fairly weak ENEsterly flow in February '07

Rrea00120070207.gif

Posted

That pic is, in fact, my avatar picture! Surely that means we're due for a dumping this year? Remember, it is only December, so plenty of time for snow before the end of February! Let's not right off this spell either, an easterly wind with snow showers can easily deliver - I recall getting 4 inches of snow in Crieff from a fairly weak ENEsterly flow in February '07

Good grief LS so it is. That is so weird! Yes you're right, it is only December and there is plenty of time. I must admit tho' that I do prefer an easterly as opposed to a northerly.

I am actually getting to the point now of being sick of watching the charts with so many ups and downs. I'll be glad when this episode reaches its conclusion! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Yup I know what you mean, here I am yet again with BBC News 24 on just in case they mention snow at 12:27am...... :)

Posted

With regards snow and the A9, it's wind that is more of an issue than actual snow volume usually. Drumocther esp is a bit of a barren moonscape, the wind can howl through there causing complete white-outs.

However it's unusual for the A9 to be closed for any length of time, in sustained wintry weather the road is usually kept open over Drumochter with convoys operating behind ploughs during daylight hours. The road is often closed overnight in such conditions, but sustained closure for more than a day is very very rare.

Posted

I know how I keep banging on about northerleys and how they do not often produce for this area. However, here is one that did! Woke up on that particular morning to 12" It didn't last too long though as it was all gone by the next day. If we get anything close to this then i'll be happy.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=gfs;sess=

Sorry, link not working properly. Select 13th March, 2005.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

I know how I keep banging on about northerleys and how they do not often produce for this area. However, here is one that did! Woke up on that particular morning to 12" It didn't last too long though as it was all gone by the next day. If we get anything close to this then i'll be happy.

http://www.netweathe...ction=gfs;sess=

Sorry, link not working properly. Select 13th March, 2005.

Oh the difference altitude makes - we got the 7 inches in frontal snow but it all melted by the 13th!

GFS still showing precipitation in eastern Scotland on Thursday and into Friday though details will only become clear within about 24 hours.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

starting to doubt if Glasgow will see anything at all last nights 12z didn't look all that great in the way of snow for central Scotland however its only Tuesday

and the cold stuff is not expected till late Thursday so plenty of time yet for things to be ironed out my will it snow and the 7 day local forecast still has me on for snow thur-fri-sat iam not waving the white flag yet but there still is doubts it also looks like south east England easterly will barely pass with a whimper :)

PS wouldn't mind some more of a experienced eye giving some insight to this weeks potential..

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

I will try my best during the course of today, but please don't take this as anything resembling accurate!!

For a starter (before the 06Z GFS) here's the FAX chart from the Met-O for Saturday which would suggest to me some snowfall across Scotland. Having said this the GFS also wants to bring a warm sector across the country (I have marked this in red) between the warm front and cold fronts. So it may well be a rain to snow event on Saturday, if it occurs.

I would imagine that the precip around the cold front would be of snow as it heads south. How much falls, well, I don't know.

thanks but that's not good news at all it yesterdays snow risk charts showing the whole of Scotland under snow has now got to be taken with a pinch of salt if indeed there is going to be a warm sector here in Glasgow at least we hope it sinks south quickly and bring much golder air in behind it for sunday all in all its

a wobble I will be watching this afternoons charts closely but nothing is nailed yet for Scotland :)

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Once the cold front swings through the whole of Scotland may well be under snow!! At least that's how I see it :)

thanks i hope so too i am hoping its just a minor blip and all will be OK :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, if winds back more to the West or Northwest, most Western parts (esp. Argyle and the West & NW Highlands) could be in for quite a packet??? I'd guess (uppers being generally around -6C and below) that any marginality should be confined to coasts and areas close to sea level (Me! :D )...That said, an increase of only 1 degree has the potential to scupper all that???

Interesting times ahead! :)

Posted

looks interesting i am still on the fence about this week now

Posted

this has got to be one of the most stressful hobbies I have ever taken during autumn a winter months :winky:

Posted

Don't let it stress you out!! I am getting excited, but certainly not stressed. It's only the weather :help:

I wonder who will be the first person to start talking about polar lows :whistling:

polar lows???