Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

i think its worth mentionining that in jenelle aldreds forecast for the week ahead this morning, she said clearly that snow wouldnt settle, and that all it would be was slush .

this's a bit of a flippant thing to say, on her part???

I've known time where no snow was forecast and then fell and stuck, and we all remember that "incident" a few years ago with the heavy rain all day turning to snow within seconds and the freezing solid within the space of an hour!

All we need is a couple of nights of good frost to set the ground up and we'll be fine :)

Posted

Good advice this morning would be to use the Net Weather radar , The Met office radar doesn't show up all PPN in this situation , for example there is a couple of Snow Showers in the SE , this is showing on the Net Weather radar but not on the Met Office radar. If you really really don't want to spend a fiver on it , (And I highly recommend that you do ) you can also use the weather online radar which also picks up showers that Met Office doesn't . You will have to use the pda version though if you want it free. http://pda.weatheronline.co.uk

I have been watching the winds over the last few hours and they are now switching into the SE/East. This should help to push the cold air across the Midlands during the next few hours .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I've known time where no snow was forecast and then fell and stuck, and we all remember that "incident" a few years ago with the heavy rain all day turning to snow within seconds and the freezing solid within the space of an hour!

All we need is a couple of nights of good frost to set the ground up and we'll be fine smile.gif

Honestly take no notice of that , iv just watched it myself , thats gonna be her famous last words, all you have to do is look at the charts and see the potential, iv heard so many time on midlands today say ''the chance of the odd wintry flurry'' followed by 3inc of snow, annoying none the less nonono.gif

Posted

Good advice this morning would be to use the Net Weather radar , The Met office radar doesn't show up all PPN in this situation , for example there is a couple of Snow Showers in the SE , this is showing on the Net Weather radar but not on the Met Office radar. If you really really don't want to spend a fiver on it , (And I highly recommend that you do ) you can also use the weather online radar which also picks up showers that Met Office doesn't . You will have to use the pda version though if you want it free. http://pda.weatheronline.co.uk

I have been watching the winds over the last few hours and they are now switching into the SE/East. This should help to push the cold air across the Midlands during the next few hours .

A quick snap shot to make my point , hopefully Paul won't mind. :) (Delete if you do ) :)

post-2826-12608643758471_thumb.png

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

northerly dosent look like reaching this far south, our snow for weekend looks off :)

Mark , don't panic so much mate and look at the charts properly. The Charts i'm posting below are very likely to provide some snow for the South on Saturday .

post-2826-12608682549097_thumb.png

post-2826-126086826765_thumb.png

post-2826-12608682849592_thumb.png

post-2826-12608683124887_thumb.png

post-2826-12608685270974_thumb.png

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

I am watching thursday evening closely a weak low over northern france swings cold air our way with a decaying weak front swinging across the midlands.

Air will be coming from the northern continent but might pick up some moisture on its way across the north sea. At the minute precipitation looks very light but time will tell. Favoured areas will most probably be those closest to the east coast.

Posted

The Cold air is making it's way into the midlands rather quickly this morning , was 4 degrees at 6am it is now 1.9 in Leicester. If we can get any ppn sorted later will make it an interesting night. I'm wondering where that heavier ppn in the North sea is going to make landfall , it will make things very Interesting if it sinks into the Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

A quick snap shot to make my point , hopefully Paul won't mind. :help: (Delete if you do ) :)

post-2826-12608643758471_thumb.png

Oh he wont mind Chris, you are giving a plug to his radar which means if people buy it he gets more money :whistling: and rightly so I may add, For creating this excellent place for all us Weather nuts to come to he deserves every penny.

Posted

All we need is a couple of nights of good frost to set the ground up and we'll be fine :)

Can't see us getting that unless this cloud gets lost- all we've had this winter is a couple of slight morning frosts, none of which froze the ground to a depth of more than a few mms. It's still saturated from November's rain, and snow that starts as rain or falls onto wet ground NEVER seems to settle here these days. (Although it does seem to in other areas of the UK).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A typical bleak midwinter day here,Grey,dull,raw 2C and drizzle just about stopped.

I can`t see any prospect of snow today for us.The pcn seems to have passed through for now.

This Easterly flow is very light and i can`t see any decent pcn coming inland through today.

Maybe later tomorrow as the front moves in from the East with colder uppers we have a chance as Brick said earlier,but even then nothing substantial.

Fax for Weds.

fax36s.gif

I think Thus/Fri at some point we have a better chance of some decent snow(enough to cover the ground).

By then much colder upper air will be across all of the region and with the flow stronger we have a better chance of convective disturbances(minor troughs) developing in the flow.

Fax for Friday

fax72s.gif

The best thing is to watch the latest bbc forecasts for any late changes which often happen in this sort of pattern.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

Met office have issued weather warnings for the East Midlands.

http://www.metoffice...s.html#advisory

Yes as i thought Thurs/Friday look the best days for snow,after the cold front gets through late Tomorrow.

Posted

Right then, saturday where things seem to have downgraded quite alot on the 06z run for our area is 4 days away.

4 days ago, the 06z gfs predicted this setup >

post-6740-12608863000515_thumb.png

And today we actually have >

post-6740-12608863083824_thumb.png

Massive differences esapecially over europe, so to say the 06z this morning will be the same come saturday is very unlikely imo, so hopefully a few suprises between now and friday, along with an upgrade for the weekend, something akin to last nights 18z and i think the mood for our region will hopefully liven up. :shok:

Posted

Feeling very cold in the midlands today with some low maxs of just 2C being recorded, feels nice and wintry out there, nice precursor to the snow showers and harsh frosts later in the week into next week biggrin.gif

http://www.weatheron...TIME=1260887569

Yes 2C here Eugene and the air feels really cold now.

I reckon Thurs/Fri best chance for any snowfall for us,the cold uppers coming through behind that front tomorrow.

fax48s.gif

then it`s all down to pcn amounts.

With the flow increasing we should have something developing i think.

Posted

Not sure which section of thr forum to keep my eye on as i am in Nottinghamshire but on border for Derbyshire also LOL.

Dew point here at 15:00 is 1.1c and Temp is 2.0c and Falling

Chris