Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

I think this current snow cold will be a non event in Nottingham, Our local paper and website say light snow not expected to settle. :drinks:

better than nowt for december yeah?

Posted

I think this current snow cold will be a non event in Nottingham, Our local paper and website say light snow not expected to settle. sad.gif

When for?

If its for Thursday, Friday Saturday etc... then they are wrong, it will settle :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Lets hope your right mate we always miss out. The rest of the midlands gets a dumping whilst we only get a light dusting. When do you think the main ppn will reach nottingham?.

on second thoughts doncaster has a -1 dewpoint, so you never know

Posted

The band tonight is unlikely to produce anything to low ground in Yorks and North Lincs as the temperature is rising as the cloud arrives. It was 0.1C with a dewpoint of -1.3C at 20:30 here and now under the cloud it is 1.1C with a dewpoint of 0.1C and steadily rising. Areas at risk of some wintry stuff are higher ground and possibly lower ground in the far south of Lincolnshire as this area has been widely much colder this evening.

Posted

its looking very good for us yorkshire folk. heavy snow showers thurs, fri. if anything could we see organsised snow this weekend. also sub zero days, ice days, frost. what more could you ask for. pennines could get some large amounts of snowfall. :whistling:

Posted

The band tonight is unlikely to produce anything to low ground in Yorks and North Lincs as the temperature is rising as the cloud arrives. It was 0.1C with a dewpoint of -1.3C at 20:30 here and now under the cloud it is 1.1C with a dewpoint of 0.1C and steadily rising. Areas at risk of some wintry stuff are higher ground and possibly lower ground in the far south of Lincolnshire as this area has been widely much colder this evening.

I agree, although there could be a small chance for our neck of the woods with a bit of evaporative cooling, it's looking more intensified than forecasted.

Lewis

Posted

Lets hope your right mate we always miss out. The rest of the midlands gets a dumping whilst we only get a light dusting. When do you think the main ppn will reach nottingham?.

it would help b if you put your town in your avatar as at the moment we have little idea where you are talking about?

many thanks

welcome as well to NW lots to see on the main site with all manner of charts

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

If your on about tonight then i would not expect much from it, perhaps something a little sleety for a short while but that's about it. For us the real fun and games start Thursday. To early to be talking about snow depths but i would imagine we would have a good covering by the end of the weekend :drinks: Best to follow the models and fax charts, then the radar for real time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

What are the chances of Leeds seeing some decent snowfall, or is it too far inland?

Our best falls usually come from Easterlies. I'd be surprised if we missed out.

For an ''old school'' fall, It needs a more organised band of snow to move inland, overnight or after teatime.

3-6 hours of steady snow will beat the last big fall round here of 15-18 inches in Jan 1995.

So do I mate.

I've just seen WS Evolution's post above, and I couldn't help

but notice the 'Howardian hills' mentioned in there; It's where I live :yahoo:

It's a lovley area where you live. I so miss working round there, moreso in weather like what is coming!!!!! :yahoo:

I must get the motorbike out and go for a ride round there, when it warms up..... :drinks:

Anyway, I'd easily expect to see a foot or more snow over the next few days if the showers got going like they used to.

Posted

off topic, but what is the coldest temperature ever recorded in leeds? surely a -19?

Suprisingly even in January 1982, February 1986, February 1991 and December 1995 according to the records Leeds never made it below -9C. The problem is that cold air will always drain into the Vale of York. Terminal Moraine reports a similar phenomenon at his location, it can be -5C at sea level but above freezing at his height. Cold air is dense and will always drain into valleys.

Leeming for example had minima of -15C on 17th and 18th December 1981, yet at the same time Leeds/Bradford Airport managed just -4C and -9C respectively.

Posted

Surprisingly the temp is dropping again now, and it's currently down to 0c. I could see something wintry later

if the temps don't rise much.

Posted

What's the chances of freezing rain for a time tonight? Slightly to the north & east of the Humber the temps are hovering around freezing with dewpoints roughly similar, to the south of the Humber we have widespread frost & low level mist with temps similar but dewpoints slightly lower, as the cloud and precip move in the upper air temps rise a couple of degrees, could be tricky on the surfaces for a time?

Posted

If peeps want to know the latest temps and dews around the area, you may use my website;

http://www.weatherinhull.com/

for latest conditions, it updates every 2 mins and the weather station is in my back garden.

lewis

You've got the classic heat island effect that drove me nuts when I lived in the city. Your temp is currently showing 2.1C with a dewpoint of 0.9C. Here its quite rural with fields on three sides and we're at 0.9C with a dewpoint of -0.3C and we're just a few miles away.

The problem with the temperatures tonight is that they are falling when clear patches pass over. As soon as the cloud arrives the temperature rises. Theres a small chance of sleet in heavier precipitation in our area, but I wouldnt hold my breath unless its very heavy when it arrives.

Posted

You've got the classic heat island effect that drove me nuts when I lived in the city. Your temp is currently showing 2.1C with a dewpoint of 0.9C. Here its quite rural with fields on three sides and we're at 0.9C with a dewpoint of -0.3C and we're just a few miles away.

The problem with the temperatures tonight is that they are falling when clear patches pass over. As soon as the cloud arrives the temperature rises. Theres a small chance of sleet in heavier precipitation in our area, but I wouldnt hold my breath unless its very heavy when it arrives.

I see what you mean, i do have a lot of house's around me, with the weather station 12 foot on a pole on the fence near tree's maybe its too sheltered??

Lewis

Posted

I see what you mean, i do have a lot of house's around me, with the weather station 12 foot on a pole on the fence near tree's maybe its too sheltered??

Lewis

12 feet is a bit too high, half that would be much more suitable. Having it in a sheltered location is good - especially in summer, however if you're surrounded by houses you'll always be a little warmer.

Posted

12 feet is a bit too high, half that would be much more suitable. Having it in a sheltered location is good - especially in summer, however if you're surrounded by houses you'll always be a little warmer.

Bit too late to do it now, don't wanna wake nextdoor up with me hammering and sawing down the lump of timber lol.

I'll do it when i wake up in morning, and ill be in touch reef so we can compare temps.

Cheers for the help

lewis

Looks like they will be some decent lapse rates and low level shear around, not too sure on the CAPE, but i would not rule out some thunder snow for our area over the coming 5-6 days.

Posted

Any confirmations of what the precip is coming down from the north? Should be bumping into the colder air very shortly :lol: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Any confirmations of what the precip is coming down from the north? Should be bumping into the colder air very shortly :lol: .

The first band had already pased through by the time I looked outside. No evidence of snow on car windows. More showers incoming and I can't see the hill half a mile behind my house so theres precip falling close by but not close enough for me to lamp post check I'm afraid... :D

Posted

Just popped my head outside the door, and there is plenty of precipitation, but there's not a hint of anything wintry, unfortunately.

Temps are around 3c

Posted

The first band had already pased through by the time I looked outside. No evidence of snow on car windows. More showers incoming and I can't see the hill half a mile behind my house so theres precip falling close by but not close enough for me to lamp post check I'm afraid... :D

Ok thanks, still got a fairly decent frost here with the clouds seemingly melting above, accordinging to the nw radar precip now turning to sleet just north of the Humber, be interesting to see what we get here in N.Lincs :lol:

Posted

Ok thanks, still got a fairly decent frost here with the clouds seemingly melting above, accordinging to the nw radar precip now turning to sleet just north of the Humber, be interesting to see what we get here in N.Lincs :cc_confused:

Precip not too far away now (15mins or so) still a hard frost on the ground, cloud cover building nicely. low mist, will i see the first flurries of the winter? :whistling: .