Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

I am coming up to Cleadon on Thursday btw- that's why I belong in the North East England discussion as the significant snow potential kicks off as soon as I am due to arrive in the North East.

whats your thoughts for the toon boro game TWS?.the smoggies are famous for bottling derby games when there's snow in the air lol.

Posted

Only central County Durhamer's like me have a decent accent. Go further North than Durham and it rapidly turns Geordie, go 10 miles East towards Stockton and The Borer, they start saying "What's the tarm? The tarm? It's farv to narn" Clearly that sort of accent is unacceptable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Chances of snowfall on the 20th December are open to question as it all depends on the "angle of attack" of the northerly flow and whether we get any disturbances in it. Chances of snow cover, however, are well in excess of 50% as I am quite fancying the possibility of snow cover overnight Thursday/Friday and then some snow from that front moving south on Saturday.

Boro have been performing quite poorly recently while Newcastle have been winning nearly all of their games so, snow or no snow, I expect Newcastle to come out on top in the derby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Only central County Durhamer's like me have a decent accent. Go further North than Durham and it rapidly turns Geordie, go 10 miles East towards Stockton and The Borer, they start saying "What's the tarm? The tarm? It's farv to narn" Clearly that sort of accent is unacceptable.

Hey mate you should be ashamed saying that :clap: i live 1mile from stockton and we dont talk like that so you need to get your facts right! :clap:

also im a boro fan and the team at the moment has been very disappointing but one thing ive learrned from boro is that they throw up surprises and good reults when you least expect them so im going to say middlesbrough on that basis

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

I suppose what she says is possible especially if you look at the UKMO long range forecast, whether it would work out like that is a different matter.

I don't rate Hannah Bayman to high as a regional forecaster, i never really warmed to her because when she did one of her first forecasts, she was nervous and shaky and made a couple of mistakes but i thought that was down to nerves yet she still appear to make quite a few mistakes and relies on her mini screen to much.

Anyways, Snowstorm1 predictions are way to optimistic i'm afraid, i would expect a thin covering at the best and that probably would arrive on Friday morning as that when the coldest air filters in.

i'm just going to wait and see what happens.different world up here during snow events.

roads closed and drifting,yet2 mile down the road everything running ok.

Posted

Hey mate you should be ashamed saying that :clap: i live 1mile from stockton and we dont talk like that so you need to get your facts right! :clap:

also im a boro fan and the team at the moment has been very disappointing but one thing ive learrned from boro is that they throw up surprises and good reults when you least expect them so im going to say middlesbrough on that basis

I know people from Stockton and Billingham and they say farv and narn. I only speaketh the truth.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

I know people from Stockton and Billingham and they say farv and narn. I only speaketh the truth.

Your wrong mate and you should be fully ashamed i live in this wonderful town and i know how people speak! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I know people in Hartlepool who speak like that, but I think it various a lot as some people's accent may not be very strong so you wouldn't hear it as clearly as that. This is off topic anyway, and I don't want to be involved in any heated arguments :D

Posted

Now back to the potential cold and snow discussion... what do the experts think of the FAX charts Paul B has posted?

It shows an occluded front which tells me that there may be a bit of warmer air mixed in with the easterly but does it also say that the upcoming easterly won't be sunshine and showers all the time but more general PPN? Which would be a good thing but not if you got a mild sector in.

Posted

I know people in Hartlepool who speak like that, but I think it various a lot as some people's accent may not be very strong so you wouldn't hear it as clearly as that. This is off topic anyway, and I don't want to be involved in any heated arguments :)

People from Hartlepool have a North East/Scouse hybrid accent and say things like "ow, look at me perple shert. I wore me perple shert when I went for a cerry last night".

Are you brave enough to record yourself saying 'Dirty Purple Work Shirt' and post an mp3 on here though? :D

Heh, great minds...

Posted

People from Hartlepool have a North East/Scouse hybrid accent and say things like "ow, look at me perple shert. I wore me perple shert when I went for a cerry last night".

Heh, great minds...

NO thats just yu ya queer anyways back on topic no more arguin from me

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

NO thats just yu ya queer anyways back on topic no more arguin from me

LOL queer, Michael shut up dude, this is a Weather forum not a chav forum :D

What am I doing in here anyway? *slowly walks out like nothing happened*

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Calm down kid, I'm only mocking your accent, no need to take offence like.

No you were out of order your accent is one of the worst :D Anyways this may be a very memorable cold spell coming.. :)

Andy your out of order god he started it !

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

I can see theres going to be bovva on this thread.!:lol:

Judging by the gfs 12z.conditions for snow look good from thursday afternoon onwards,provided something actually falls from the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

For people not keen on the northerly:

Rrea00120080201.gif

You may remember this northerly a couple of years ago? Blizzards swept down from Scotland covering all of the region despite winds being west of due north. Where I was in Cumbria 2 inches fell, whilst people became stranded on the A66 and A69 just 2 hours after I crossed the the country on the A69. Nothing settled in Newcastle as far as I'm aware though. That was a toppler with warm ground temperatures, imagine what a more prolonged northerly could produce after the easterly cools the ground! Even Newcastle would've seen a few inches. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Now back to the potential cold and snow discussion... what do the experts think of the FAX charts Paul B has posted?

It shows an occluded front which tells me that there may be a bit of warmer air mixed in with the easterly but does it also say that the upcoming easterly won't be sunshine and showers all the time but more general PPN? Which would be a good thing but not if you got a mild sector in.

I guess that would be good for me and others with a bit altitude. Should still be cold enough for snow and more ppn would obviously be good.

Hope all levels can get a good dumping though.

Tyne Tees weather person just mentioned a covering later in the week for most, then possibly more snow over the weekend.

EDIT:

Hannah just said snow showers Thursday and Friday, especially in the North East.

Light on Thursday, heaviest on Friday.

Posted

Hey mate you should be ashamed saying that :lol: i live 1mile from stockton and we dont talk like that so you need to get your facts right! :)

Nope....didn't understand a word of that.

Posted

I guess that would be good for me and others with a bit altitude. Should still be cold enough for snow and more ppn would obviously be good.

Hope all levels can get a good dumping though.

Tyne Tees weather person just mentioned a covering later in the week for most, then possibly more snow over the weekend.

EDIT:

Hannah just said snow showers Thursday and Friday, especially in the North East.

Light on Thursday, heaviest on Friday.

Tyne Tees weather is often poor in all honesty but i suppose it's a bit of encouragement they are hinting at a covering(albeit probably a thin one).

As i say, i don't rate Hannah to highly as a forecaster and what she said on her forecast just proves that, surely looking at the charts, it would be the other way around of the heaviest showers will be on Thursday and lighter on Friday whilst dying out. It will all depend on how quick the easterly flow goes mind you so she might be right regarding her comments of heavier showers on Friday.

Does not help when you see a heavy snow shower graphic on the BBC charts mind you but who knows. They are more knowledgeable than me i know that!

Posted

For people not keen on the northerly:

Rrea00120080201.gif

You may remember this northerly a couple of years ago? Blizzards swept down from Scotland covering all of the region despite winds being west of due north. Where I was in Cumbria 2 inches fell, whilst people became stranded on the A66 and A69 just 2 hours after I crossed the the country on the A69. Nothing settled in Newcastle as far as I'm aware though. That was a toppler with warm ground temperatures, imagine what a more prolonged northerly could produce after the easterly cools the ground! Even Newcastle would've seen a few inches. rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure that ended up been a more north easterly.

Anyway i got 5cm from that and some very heavy snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the heavier showers will be on Thursday but that Thursday's showers will start off as rain, and turn to snow (hail and sleet near the coast) by evening. On Friday showers should fall as snow in all affected parts of north-east England.

1 February 2008 was another of those infamous ones that was overcooked by GFS. Nonetheless, I got about an inch or so from it in Norwich, when a front moved SE during the evening, bringing sleet initially which turned to snow and accumulated on the ground. Good examples of potent northerlies delivered by Greenland Highs occurred in late December in 1995, 2000 and 2001, and of course there's always the northerlies in the severe Decembers of 1950 and 1981.

Posted

I think the heavier showers will be on Thursday but that Thursday's showers will start off as rain, and turn to snow (hail and sleet near the coast) by evening. On Friday showers should fall as snow in all affected parts of north-east England.

Mate what should i be expecting on thursday and friday? :(