Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As above- a wintry mix of showers on Thursday, possibility of small accumulations on Friday with occasional flurries. That's unless the outlook changes substantially of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

As above- a wintry mix of showers on Thursday, possibility of small accumulations on Friday with occasional flurries. That's unless the outlook changes substantially of course!

Is that it bbc said light snow showers thursday and heavy snow showers on friday thats very different to what you said :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Is that it bbc said light snow showers thursday and heavy snow showers on friday thats very different to what you said :D

Wintry showers towards the end of the week becoming more snow than rain as time goes on. They will be starting to die back shortly after they turn to snow though so accumulations will probably be light. At the weekend there is the possibility of more substantial snow once that cold air is in place in time for the northerly, but we won't know the positioning of heavy precipitation until the day before imo. Be patient and I'm sure you'll see some snow eventually :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

On Thursday it will be too warm for settling snow near the coast, though accumulations are possible inland during the evening. That doesn't rule out the possibility of wet snow and perhaps temporary accumulations. This is unless the thrust of cold air gets pushed forward as we get nearer the time but I doubt it.

Posted

On Thursday it will be too warm for settling snow near the coast, though accumulations are possible inland during the evening. That doesn't rule out the possibility of wet snow and perhaps temporary accumulations. This is unless the thrust of cold air gets pushed forward as we get nearer the time but I doubt it.

im 8miles from the coast and that to me looks like an advantage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

im 8miles from the coast and that to me looks like an advantage

Michael tell everyone what you told me on MSN...

Something about you wanting to see 10 inches of snow from this cold spell... and you mentioned it will be as good as Feb 1991 and I said... 2-3 inches if you are very lucky. :D

Posted

Something about you wanting to see 10 inches of snow from this cold spell... and you mentioned it will be as good as Feb 1991 and I said... 2-3 inches if you are very lucky. :D

i didnt say 10inches imo and i only said what two thought and if the polar low occurs then yu will be oh so wrong! :)

Look people give me a break im 14 and havent seen a significant long lasting cold in my life so please just give us a break :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Something about you wanting to see 10 inches of snow from this cold spell... and you mentioned it will be as good as Feb 1991 and I said... 2-3 inches if you are very lucky. :)

Yes I doubt 10 inches will fall, but look who will have an egg on their face if we get dragged into a December 1981 type scenario :D 3 inches is my punt for most towns though, though I'd say more in prone spots. Places in rural Northumberland / County Durham could quite easily get 5 inches, and high ground could get more as its snowing at Alston for instance already I believe.

Posted

Yes I doubt 10 inches will fall, but look who will have an egg on their face if we get dragged into a December 1981 type scenario :D 3 inches is my punt for most towns though, though I'd say more in prone spots. Places in rural Northumberland / County Durham could quite easily get 5 inches, and high ground could get more as its snowing at Alston for instance already I believe.

I think the North East has a good chance of a covering from the Northerly that is progged for 5-6 days time but from this Easterly... I don't see any low lying areas in the North East getting more than 2-3 inches by Sunday.

i didnt say 10inches imo and i only said what two thought and if the polar low occurs then yu will be oh so wrong! :)

Look people give me a break im 14 and havent seen a significant long lasting cold in my life so please just give us a break :)

Yes but I told you that you shouldn't expect a repeat of Feb 1991 and you said you wasn't going to listen to me and listen to the likes of John Holmes instead. Well thats good but he won't be telling you that this Easterly at the end of the week will produce anything like Feb 1991 :)

Posted

I think the North East has a good chance of a covering from the Northerly that is progged for 5-6 days time but from this Easterly... I don't see any low lying areas in the North East getting more than 2-3 inches by Sunday.

Yes but I told you that you shouldn't expect a repeat of Feb 1991 and you said you wasn't going to listen to me and listen to the likes of John Holmes instead. Well thats good but he won't be telling you that this Easterly at the end of the week will produce anything like Feb 1991 :D

OI!!!! get back to the midlands you traitor!! :)

Temps here are 3.5'c and there are still the odd flecks of ice every now'n again, what's it doing where you are matey?

Posted

Yes but I told you that you shouldn't expect a repeat of Feb 1991 and you said you wasn't going to listen to me and listen to the likes of John Holmes instead. Well thats good but he won't be telling you that this Easterly at the end of the week will produce anything like Feb 1991 :lol:

No not from the easterly I don't think, but that northerly is predicted to set in on Saturday without any milder weather since the easterly, and if there is a potent cold front moving southwards there could be a fair amount. Lets say 2 inches fall from the easterly, then 3 inches from the cold front and snow showers over the weekend, the final total would be 5 inches :D I'm sceptic about this easterly though anyway, doubt it will deliver much. It looks too brief.

Posted

OI!!!! get back to the midlands you traitor!! :lol:

Temps here are 3.5'c and there are still the odd flecks of ice every now'n again, what's it doing where you are matey?

Haha :D It's raining, boring as anything, not close to even being sleet.

Posted

Hope you'll excuse me for posting - yes I belong to the NW, but I have a vested interest in the NE as that is where i am heading thursday through to Monday.

Very high chances of some widespread snow showers Thursday more so nearer the coast with all areas of the NE joining in on Thursday night into Friday.

Beyond the northerly could deliver some longer periods of snow if any trough formation develops it won't matter which wind direction it takes. The uppers will be very cold, northerlies are usually a good omen for snow in the NE. I'll be very very surprised if come Sunday most places haven't experienced some snow cover.

Posted

I'm surprised at how high temperatures have got tonight up in the North East. 9c in Boulmer!!! That is higher than I expected to see. Expected to see something like 6c maximum, not 9c.

Posted

i didnt say 10inches imo and i only said what two thought and if the polar low occurs then yu will be oh so wrong! :D

Look people give me a break im 14 and havent seen a significant long lasting cold in my life so please just give us a break :D

I'll give you a break mate and I hope your dreams come true.

All kids should have one mega snowfall as they grow up - I had 1979. Plus some good uns in the 80's and 91 dropped 15 inches as well. Fingers crossed it is your turn.

I'm surprised at how high temperatures have got tonight up in the North East. 9c in Boulmer!!! That is higher than I expected to see. Expected to see something like 6c maximum, not 9c.

Yes I'm surprised too. It has been steadily rising since late afternoon and I peaked half an hour ago at 8.5º - I wondered if it was going to keep on climbing? Anyhow I think that is it for the forseeable, down to 8.1º now.

Posted

yip very mild out there tonight,but the temp is dropping away nicely now.

i didnt say 10inches imo and i only said what two thought and if the polar low occurs then yu will be oh so wrong! :D

Look people give me a break im 14 and havent seen a significant long lasting cold in my life so please just give us a break :D

no malice intended SS,here's hoping you get something you can always remember.

it's good to see someone of your age online, and showing an interest in something that most kids wouldn't care less about.i take my hat off to you young man. :D

Edited by peterf

Posted

yip very mild out there tonight,but the temp is dropping away nicely now.

no malice intended SS,here's hoping you get something you can always remember.

it's good to see someone of your age online, and showing an interest in something that most kids wouldn't care less about.i take my hat off to you young man. :good:

Its okay mate ive always had an interest in the weather but only in winter because i love snow lmao :)

An organised band of snow thursday night were has this come from this would deliver quite a bit of snow more than many on here expected :drunk::)

Posted

Where abouts in Stockton are you Michael?

I used to live in Fairfield until 1967, then we moved to Ferryhill, so I have a curious, Teesside-cum-Darlo type accent. It has the best and worst bits of both.

Looking at the charts, the best chance will be from the northerly I think, especially if the front heading south is active, which it's forecast to be. The easterly? I don't think it'll come to much TBH.

How high above sea level are you?

Dave

I live in thornaby and not much above sea level and with this easterly we will; because on thursday night a spell or organised snow moves in across us! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

A couple of days ago I was starting to think we might be lucky to get even a slight covering.

I'm trying not to get too ambitious but things look much better now.

I would guess maybe 1 or 2 inches for many later this week, and 2 or 3 more at the weekend, if we get a decent trough coming down from the north

After that if a low sets up to our south as the GFS 18z hints at, some places up here could get massive amounts. That's way too far off yet though, we have an easterly and a northerly to enjoy first :cold:

Posted

A couple of days ago I was starting to think we might be lucky to get even a slight covering.

I would guess maybe 1 or 2 inches for many later this week, and 2 or 3 more at the weekend, if we get a decent trough coming down from the north

After that if a low sets up to our south as the GFS 18z hints at, some places up here could get massive amounts. That's way too far off yet though, we have an easterly and a northerly to enjoy first :drinks:

Yep, a few short term upgrades have made this easterly a little bit more interesting to say the least.

I'm still not expecting too much snow at this stage(although that may change in a day or so time) and it's one of those set ups where you just hope you can dodge those mild sectors.

Seems to me early Thursday morning may produce a little bit of snow if the PPN is there because the cold air is certainly is. Then Thursday lunchtime, the mild sector is over us before it quickly goes to be replaced by much colder air and showers.

I don't think wednesday will be a sunshine and shower day, looks like something more persistant going by the charts and the FAX chart has a front over us however i think we are just on the wrong side of marginal.

Posted

After that if a low sets up to our south as the GFS 18z hints at, some places up here could get massive amounts. That's way too far off yet though, we have an easterly and a northerly to enjoy first :D

hi mark,42 years of living up here tells me something special is on the cards mate.

watch the Consett icecap kick in mate :drinks:.

you wont get moved for telly crews in the town centre.they always head up here lol.

even if it goes tits up we'll still get a laugh at them lot :yahoo:

Yep, a few short term upgrades have made this easterly a little bit more interesting to say the least.

I'm still not expecting too much snow at this stage(although that may change in a day or so time) and it's one of those set ups where you just hope you can dodge those mild sectors.

Seems to me early Thursday morning may produce a little bit of snow if the PPN is there because the cold air is certainly is. Then Thursday lunchtime, the mild sector is over us before it quickly goes to be replaced by much colder air and showers.

I don't think wednesday will be a sunshine and shower day, looks like something more persistant going by the charts and the FAX chart has a front over us however i think we are just on the wrong side of marginal.

i must be going into ramp mode lol,GS you need to understand the microclimate that kicks in up here with these forecasts.

pelaw is like the the Algarve compared to this place,and thats on a good day.

time will tell :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Like most I've gone from thinking we'll get loads, to thinking we'll get nothing and then back the other way again. But however it all plays out I'd expect at some point we'd get a good few inches amd that'll do for me for a pre Christmas cold spell. Things look good for January.

Posted

It would seem to me that this morning's output has got rid of the mild sector but it certainly does lack PPN it must be said and i know you can't take the GFS charts to literally however the PPN charts do make sence as the easterly topples quicker for us and high pressure is just to close.

Upgrade for other areas though in terms of cold and PPN.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Goddammit. It's always the same for us, you get people drooling for days about what is going to happen and it ends up being a non event here.