IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Posted

18.28 BBC1 forecast:

Looking good for tomorrow night and Friday. City temperatures are lower too good.gif

notice how they did not give totals amounts of snow that could fall in cm! i feel possible upgrades on warnings tommorow from the metoffice and bbc to something like the amounts of febuary this year! maybe im going ott but just have that feeling by midday they might be saying 30cm over hills by sat morning!

Posted

Splending BBC 18.25 forecast.

Seems there was plenty of white blobs around the wash for Thurs and even on friday it looks as though the wash could see heavy, persistant white blobs on Friday.

On a serious note and to be honest all of E Midlands/E Anglia/SE is at risk. However I did find the white patch across the wash encouraging. Seemed like the BBC were indicating a concentration of snow in this area aswell as Kent with this risk extending into Friday.

Posted

ITV forecasted up to 8 inches in some parts of the region by Friday!

Was that the local forecast? if so, thta should have the latest from the Met Office as I believe they have a conference call with Exeter at 3pm. yahoo.gif

Posted

Just got back from Bromley to Biggin Hill and there is a good covering of snow here with temps at freezing. My road is covered. just wondering what the dew point is as it is currently sleeting/ Height makes such at difference and I hoping for 20cms of snow in the next few days. :rolleyes:

Posted

BBC forecast was good! Giving us some snow!

Local forecast on BBC 3 Counties by Julie Ranger said the showers (Thursday into Friday) May not be strong enough and may be of rain due to the north sea being warm!:rolleyes:

What a beaut the 18:25 forecast was on BBC!!

London rush hour commuters = watch out

I still think we have a good chance in Herts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Local forecast on BBC 3 Counties by Julie Ranger said the showers (Thursday into Friday) May not be strong enough and may be of rain due to the north sea being warm!:p

lol , she doesn't seem to be a very good forecaster :rolleyes:

Posted

Local forecast on BBC 3 Counties by Julie Ranger said the showers (Thursday into Friday) May not be strong enough and may be of rain due to the north sea being warm!laugh.gif

LOL. They don't even get their forecasts from the Met Office doh.gif

Posted

Yep, thier forecasts ahve been quite dodgy lately.

Waiting for BBC London forecast from peter!

He just said, today was just the early morning of the snow!! Nice use of a day equivilant.

Edited by saint

Posted

I still think we have a good chance in Herts!

I believe you have a great chance.

Look at the E,ly for Feb 2nd 2009.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090202.gif

Tomorrow night

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn361.png

Note tomorrow has more of a N,ly element to the E,ly although I can't make my mind up if its a ENE or a NE,ly. Anyway the combination of this and the warmer N sea temps will create greater convection than the Feb 2nd E,ly.

I do believe the showers will start as rain but come mid afternoon/early evening these will fall as snow.

I will add that I actually think the BBC are underestimating this and we could see upgrades in the forecast tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

lol , she doesn't seem to be a very good forecaster :rolleyes:

I've never rated her at all, she seems clueless, although a very nice woman ofcourse!

She gets her info from Weatherquest based at UEA in Norwich. It's run by Jim Bacon (the Michael Fish of the East (isn't it strange how the best forecasters have food names!)).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

The Look East forecast that she usually presents DOES - Paul B confirmed this to me in PM from an email reply he got from Jim Bacon, who is one of the directors of WeatherQuest as well as being a regular presenter of the forecasts for both LE and and Radio Norfolk. Admittedly they sometimes modify the interpretation slightly, but the data and maps used ARE from the MetO.

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted

I've never rated her at all, she seems clueless, although a very nice woman ofcourse!

She gets her info from Weatherquest based at UEA in Norwich. It's run by Jim Bacon (the Michael Fish of the East (isn't it strange how the best forecasters have food names!)).

The other day I watched a forecast by Julie whilst I was at UEA, and she said Sunday would see highs of 11C (ie last Sunday). I think most of the region saw 7C at the very best? :rolleyes:

Posted

Ah... but she is only a presenter not a forecaster. According to her BBC profile she has no background in weather!

Also, how can the BBC justify employing a external company to do the weather when the BBC have their own? wallbash.gif

Posted

Splending BBC 18.25 forecast.

Seems there was plenty of white blobs around the wash for Thurs and even on friday it looks as though the wash could see heavy, persistant white blobs on Friday.

On a serious note and to be honest all of E Midlands/E Anglia/SE is at risk. However I did find the white patch across the wash encouraging. Seemed like the BBC were indicating a concentration of snow in this area aswell as Kent with this risk extending into Friday.

I missed the forecast however as you say I think many areas in this region will get snow. The models have been trending southwards with the core of the precip, the idea of heaviest snowfall in E/C Kent seems a good call. The Wash should do well as well though temps may be a little marginal until the latter eveing hours but I'd have thought come the night time hours the snow should be pretty widespread. The UKMO keeps a little milder area with the frontal system but the GFS isn't so keen on that idea.

Anyway the front/trough feature is going to be very slow moving and may not move at all past 6am and just tilt instead as the northerly flow strengthens a little.

Posted

I do believe the showers will start as rain but come mid afternoon/early evening these will fall as snow.

I will add that I actually think the BBC are underestimating this and we could see upgrades in the forecast tomorrow morning.

Yeah I'd have thought transition up near the Wash between 5-7pm.

What I will say is whilst the models are probably somewhat under-estimating showers the front looks fairly developed and as such to its north there is quite a lot of subsidence and positive Voricity which will surpress convection somewhat compared to what you'd normally expect.

Posted

BBC London forecast:

"Tomorrow is when the fun begins"

"Everyone should see the white stuff"

Thursday- Light snow showers

Friday- Heavy snow showers (Maybe more overnight into the morning)

Saturday- Light snow showers

Very positive forecast!!!!!

Switched over to see the last of the Look East forecast and those graphics were just!!!:rolleyes::good: Sleet everyday!! Look East really are under palying this!