Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted

As for snow yesterday. Not a lot to be honest. We had small flakes falling from about midday, blowing in the wind. Then we had a heavy spell of snow around 2.45pm, which lasted about 30 mins, before turning to rain for the rest of the day. Didn't settle on anything.

What about you? Any snow showers yesterday?

Anyone care to comment on Rob M's forecast on the Beeb last night?

Chance of a marginal channel low type situation on Monday and warming up?

We had mega flakes of snow yesterday at around 16:30 yesterday, they looked like big feathers ...

At the mmoment the temp in Ramsgate is +4.5c with spits and spots of rain in the wind ...

Looking forward to the events later this afternoon and into tonight ;o)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

So what is going on in North-ish Norfolk (well Norwich)?

Temps up to about 5c, a bit of hail first thing then sunshine.

Have we missed the snow then?

;-)

Lol in the words of Take That...."have a little....paattieeennceeee" ! 3pm on wards you'll be smiling! And my guess is by the end of friday you will be smiling ALOT !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Haha. Hope it doesn't cause the air around you to be too warm, what with all that steam/heat it throws out! :wacko:

As for snow yesterday. Not a lot to be honest. We had small flakes falling from about midday, blowing in the wind. Then we had a heavy spell of snow around 2.45pm, which lasted about 30 mins, before turning to rain for the rest of the day. Didn't settle on anything.

What about you? Any snow showers yesterday?

Anyone care to comment on Rob M's forecast on the Beeb last night?

Chance of a marginal channel low type situation on Monday and warming up?

About the same as you - We had a heavier spell of snow at around 2:30ish which started to settle on the grass but then it stopped, we had another heavy spell of snow around 4ish but that quickly turned to sleet and then rain.

Robs forecast was fantastic last night, although this morning I think there are fears that the worst of the show will shift Westwards slightly, I think we'll only really know when we see it developing on the radar :good:

Posted

Dave, whats the probability of reloads after the weekend? I know there was some talk of it but haven't heard anything lately past sunday?

Very uncertain beyond the weekend.

Looks as though the flow will change to the W but remaining cold on Mon/Tues with the chance of further snow. However the uncertainity is do we see a milder SW,ly or do we remain cold??

Don't forget on Saturday there is a chance of further snow as a cold front sweeps SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good morning everyone!

Still looking good for Kent this evening which is nice to see. This afternoon I will be heading out for a spot of panic buying and then home to make me some snow shoes out of willow and catgut in a Ray Mears stylee.

My forcast for today is at least another 10 pages of the regional discusion thread (more on higher ground) and maybe a seasonal appearance of Mr Crazy Snowfan if we are lucky!

Enjoy the snow guys, call in sick or "work from home"" tomorow is my advice. Stay safe and have fun!

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

Update from the most easterly town in the UK. It has now gone from breezy to windy. From my lounge window I can see the North Sea waves being whipped up, it's looking very spectacular. Now going for a nice stroll along the beach.

Posted

Light snow flurry in Tun Wells atm.

Some interesting fern like patterns of ice on the car windscreens this morning.

I noticed the same pattens of ice on my car this morning (and they were bleeding hard work to scrape off as well!) Does anyone know why they were of that pattern?

Posted

Getting concerned, now that the forcasts have changed slightly and I am going to be to far east and the snow is going to miss me in Ashford!!

Same as in Feb09, My parents lives in East Sussex and got more snow than me, is the snow going to be blown over me on this strong wind. Anyone??

Posted

For the guys in the East worrying about missing the showers. Dont!

With a NE flow in theory those in the East should see the heaviest and most prolonged showers. Whether they are of snow nearer the coasts is up for debate, certainly until the early hours anyway.

I think the wind is a bit stronger than they originally thought, allowing the showers to push further inland across Western parts of our region. Good news all round really. We should all get a slice of the action.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Getting concerned, now that the forcasts have changed slightly and I am going to be to far east and the snow is going to miss me in Ashford!!

Same as in Feb09, My parents lives in East Sussex and got more snow than me, is the snow going to be blown over me on this strong wind. Anyone??

ditto there, I'm In Dover and will be disappointed if it misses us like February!

Posted

For the guys in the East worrying about missing the showers. Dont!

With a NE flow in theory those in the East should see the heaviest and most prolonged showers. Whether they are of snow nearer the coasts is up for debate, certainly until the early hours anyway.

I think the wind is a bit stronger than they originally thought, allowing the showers to push further inland across Western parts of our region. Good news all round really. We should all get a slice of the action.

The way I see it is those in the W will be relying on show showers. However for those in the E of our region it will be persistant heavy snow. I know which I would prefer!

Posted

im off now to do my panic buying!!!!

:yahoo:

AAHH xmas food shopping what a joy!!! :lol:

Thank you TEITS you have put my mind at rest!!

Edited by Kay

Posted

The way I see it is those in the W will be relying on show showers. However for those in the E of our region it will be persistant heavy snow. I know which I would prefer!

Indeed TEITS.

Fingers crossed some prolonged bands make it your way.

Funny isn't it, your concerned about getting the showers and I'm concerned whether or not my "prolonged" spells of snow, will indeed be snow or sleet! :yahoo:

Never simple in this country is it.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

I noticed the same pattens of ice on my car this morning (and they were bleeding hard work to scrape off as well!) Does anyone know why they were of that pattern?

Morning SR!

I had them too, they were frozen rain rather than lighter moisture/mist laying on the car screen causing a more general covering of white. It was ruddy difficult to shift!

I have to say I still need convincing that I will get a descent covering of snow along my part of the SE coast, as the SST's are acting like a hot water bottle at the moment.

Posted

Morning SR!

I had them too, they were frozen rain rather than lighter moisture/mist laying on the car screen causing a more general covering of white. It was ruddy difficult to shift!

I have to say I still need convincing that I will get a descent covering of snow along my part of the SE coast, as the SST's are acting like a hot water bottle at the moment.

Yep. Same here on the SE Essex coastline. Too marginal for my liking. Just for once I wish it could be a simple transition to snow!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Snow flurry reports like from Nick F in Tunbridge Wells this early is quite a surprise (a nice one!). I wasn't expecting to see any snow till this evening. It probably will be the case that there will be no settling snow in this area till tonight, but with reports from north of London eg Milton Keynes of snow showers already settling then things are setting up nicely!smile.gif

Sunny here atm following a very light frost after the clearance of overnight bits of rain - with some quite fast moving strips of cloud filling in the sky a little now.

For SE facing coasts eg Brighton to Dover etc I don't think the SST's will come in to it with an offshore wind. Hastings never had any problem before in my experience with a showery NE'erly and snow settled right up to the seafront (even if the main accumulations were just half a mile or so inland)

Coasts actually facing the wind off the north sea are where there may be some marginality at first, but I would think that as it gets colder and colder, even here will be getting snow later tonight and tomorrowsmile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Just had a sleety / snow shower here, clearly visible on the NWExtra radar...

Posted

very brief spells of fluffy hail falling since early this morning here - by brief, I mean a few seconds at a time - lol, enough to wipe off windscreen of car once every so often.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Infrequent poster...long time skulker. Actually very upbeat about our chances down in east Kent this time, espeically following on from Steve Ms excellant forecast last night (we should all club togther to buy him a snow shaped medal or something for his hard work and diligence to the cause). Doubly excited as tomorrow is my birthday and haven't woken up to snow on my birthday for many, many years. I do remember 1981 as my birthday party had to be cancelled due to the snow and I cried...embarassing for a 22 year old I know :drinks:

Latest GFS is what we want to see trending over the next two days if we want to hold on to our snow...low from the north head east and the low from the south stay over Europe...just once we have to have the weather gods play into our hands...is this the time???

Posted

If as latest GFS charts most of East Anglia (inc me) will be seeing thick snow by tomorrow morning. Its very much similar to a lake effect snow situation out there. If your under that stream then its gonna be an interesting night!

The last time this situation occured was back in 2003, and I saw 5 inches of snow from that. Expect very localised totals though.

Matt