Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

TEITS as well as a number of others have been reassuring people that there will be substantial convection coming off the warm waters of the North Sea over the next few days. We can already see the beginning of this to the East of Scotland/N England, many showers providing rates of 8mm/hr plus.

On a side note, Julie on the Look East forecast still isn't convinced and is giving maximums of +3/4 everyday with sleet showers, she didn't bother to show the warnings currently in force, and she was wearing one of her old favourites. If only the forecast had resembled something from the same era as her clothes!

Still liked Stuart White's comment. "I decided it was time to put the heating on today. It was either that or grit the stairs" :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Look East evening forecast just finished. Rain clearing tonight, temps well below feezing under clearing skies - ice warning.

Tomorrow - showers at first around Wash mainly of rain and sleet, some of snow, moving southwards but unlikely to lay during daylight hours. Max. temps 3-4 degrees but strong north/northeasterly making it feel bitter, gales around coast. Showers may well give coverings of snow in some areas, but she was still reluctant to say they WILL and passed the buck to local radio stations. After that, light wintry showers until Monday, which should be dry, cold all the way with nights all below freezing.

Posted

Look E suggested snow showers even into tomorrow morning for Cambs/Norfolk. However im not sure I agree with this and reckon it will be later. However she did say they are keeping a close eye on tomorrow night/Friday and we should keep a close eye on the forecasts.

Now I know she said snow becoming widespread tomorrow evening but the reason why she is saying to keep a close eye out on the forecasts is because its impossible to know what will develop in the N Sea. I have seen these situations many times and the potential for some extremely heavy snowfalls is very possible. When I say extremely heavy im suggesting in excess of 1ft!!

Posted

BBC London forecast = excellent

next best thing to feb 09

Very excited now

Same mate!

I think BBC London do some very good forecasts especially by Peter who I really thinks is a good forecaster! I seem to rember them forecasting the Feb event quite well?

C'mon Herts!

Posted

TEITS - I agree except for the fact that she still seemed very reluctant to say that some areas would see lying snow on Friday morning - I understand that she can't predict where, but she was still uncertain about the if.

EDIT - yes suffolkboy Stewart is good for an amusing quote - the rumour is that he's a tightwad and waits until it gets bitter before he puts the heating on.

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted

Look E suggested snow showers even into tomorrow morning for Cambs/Norfolk. However im not sure I agree with this and reckon it will be later. However she did say they are keeping a close eye on tomorrow night/Friday and we should keep a close eye on the forecasts.

Now I know she said snow becoming widespread tomorrow evening but the reason why she is saying to keep a close eye out on the forecasts is because its impossible to know what will develop in the N Sea. I have seen these situations many times and the potential for some extremely heavy snowfalls is very possible. When I say extremely heavy im suggesting in excess of 1ft!!

Holy Moly! Just spat my coffee over the screen. I would not want to be in Kent if that hits.

Posted

Release at 16:58 today:

http://metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/pr20091216b.html

Chief forecaster at the Met still confident of heavy falls in the south east and east anglia.

Posted

OT, yeah it does seem to suggest rain for Essex and I'd somewhat agree about that for the afternoon but I think once we get past 7-8pm that isn't going to be a problem at all...besides profiles past midnight look very condusive for us to get snow that settles...I'd imagine there could be 7-9hrs of snowfall in Essex, esp east Essex, of course Kent could well see nearly double that!

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

After waiting for the SE forecast I missed it, someone at the door!! think they done it on purpose diablo.gif

Caddy's forecast was for light rain tonight, a sunny morning. Top temperature 2c, but 'feels like' minus 6c in strengthening winds. Clouding over during the afternoon. Snow showers in the evening and then heavy snow Thursday night. Graphic showed deepest snow cover in a diagonal line from Thames Estuary down to Brighton.

Regards

Posted

Is there a good chance for the North Downs I missed the forecast

With all that height you have, you cant really miss can you? unless your so high you pop out the top lol,then, i would descend into Westerham :rolleyes: (plus its a little easier breathing at that level :diablo:)

Posted

Eye and kold does the wind direction mean that i will get plastered with a lot more snow because it is coming off the sea? I would love this to be the case. We had some good snow this afternoo the ground turned white and the dog loved it in the park lol. Looking forward to Friday to see what the dog does as he has never been out in deep snow before.

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

Eye and kold does the wind direction mean that i will get plastered with a lot more snow because it is coming off the sea? I would love this to be the case. We had some good snow this afternoo the ground turned white and the dog loved it in the park lol. Looking forward to Friday to see what the dog does as he has never been out in deep snow before.

I take it he's the cute chappie in your avatar? :rolleyes:

Posted

is everybody forgetting about the thames streamer effect.. thats gotta happen again??.. well for tomorrow night and friday anyway!!

Posted

I think there is sort of a timeframe to this, When the snow begins to fall. I would say late morning on the Norfolk coasts, early afternoon for the central swathe of EA and a bit later on the rest of the SE

does anyone have an idea for buckinghamshire i.e how much snow will fall i missed the forecast

I missed the forecast too but you are in a very good chance of some accumilations of snow, maybe by Friday topping 7-10cm!

Posted

I take it he's the cute chappie in your avatar? <_<

Yes he is. He is a flat coated retreiver and seems to love the snow. He is four years old but the snow we had in Feb was not as deep as the snow we are forcast so i am looking forward to taking him for a walk in it.lol

Edited by Snow Queen one