Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted

they did. PC is well into his snow too, unlike some. Deakin looked positively irritated on the national forecast earlier. I hate the way he says 'the numbers doing a bit better in northern Ireland, they might manage four degrees.' what is good about 4 degrees and cold rain?

does anyone have a idea what kind of weather the south east will get next week? anymore snow?

looking at the fax chart it looks like to me we might get another spell of potentially heavy snow sat afternoon?

Edited by clark3r

Posted

Looking forward to it Steve, we normally have similar ideas so will be interesting to see what you think.

I suspect there won't be a lot of snowfall till after tomorrow afternoon, inland its less marginal then near the coasts but I'm not sure theres going to be too much inland until the eveing time but we shall see.

Posted

An over-excited Kaddy ends her forecast just nicely :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2601

I like her :air_kiss: ........can't we have her on the country-wide forcast.....and you can have Jay Wynn instead! :lol:

SS

Posted

No snow yet here or in Chelmsford. Worried that the GFS says we won't get air temps below freezing here until Saturday.

1CM here earlier in Danbury cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

they did. PC is well into his snow too, unlike some. Deakin looked positively irritated on the national forecast earlier. I hate the way he says 'the numbers doing a bit better in northern Ireland, they might manage four degrees.' what is good about 4 degrees and cold rain?

I can't stand Deakin at this time of year; not a great fan of his at anytime, but you can tell he loves mild Atlantic muck.

MW, I like that forecast! She's quite a fox in a cute sort of way, and I like her enthusiasm! A bit of a snow lover or at least cold ramper?

Posted

I will be releasing my Final call forecast for the period pm Thur- 6pm Friday at 9:30pm tonight-

this covers the ENTIRE SE region.....

Steve

Bows down in worship, gratitude or whatever. If I were a dog I'd wag my tail and beg. I guess a simple thankyou would suffice though.

I'm getting a bit confused, and now just thinking that it's easier to expect nothing so it'll be a nice surprise if something...anything arrives.

Posted

Looking forward to it Steve, we normally have similar ideas so will be interesting to see what you think.

I suspect there won't be a lot of snowfall till after tomorrow afternoon, inland its less marginal then near the coasts but I'm not sure theres going to be too much inland until the eveing time but we shall see.

does this mean inland could get heavy snow and are the precip reading on the 10 day glance on netweather unrealistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Hello,

Anyone care to guess on if I will see any snow in Telscombe Cliffs? just 7 miles East of Brighton around 1 mile inland at 66 meters above sea level.

I only got 4cm this February, so I'm not expecting any more than that.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The uncertainity was with regards to amount of snow rather than if we see lying snow. Unsurprising really and I shall explain why.

During Dec 1996 I was travelling back from Southamptom and I had been informed by my mother that Peterborough had seen heavy snow. So whilst travelling up the A1 there wasn't any lying snow whatsoever. Even just 15miles S of Peterborough was completely clear of snow. However all of a sudden just 5miles S of Peterborough a wall of lying snow greeted us. Within the space of just 10miles it went from no lying snow to around 20cm of lying snow!!

The only forecast you can really use from now on is observations i.e temp,dewpoint and the radar. You can use the models as a vague idea but this can be very vague especially with regards to depths of snow.

[/quote

Yes its quite strange but this usually happens down this way as well, I saw it several times back in the 80's particularly with a NEly. London side of the M25 (from Dartford river crossing) just a few flurries, just past the M25 and irs thick snow, East Anglia tends to stop a lot of the PPN getting into SE London. Oh and same thing in Early March 2005 when most of Kent was snowed in.

Posted

An over-excited Kaddy ends her forecast just nicely :air_kiss:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2601

You're lucky I can't say we actually have a forecaster for our region!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2818?&search=reading&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

Posted

An excellent weather forecast on CNN just now clearly showing the two low pressure systems bringing heavy snow to both sides of Europe. Best snows over Moldova where there will be accumulations of 25cm+. Temps well down right across the continent, as much as 10C below for many countries, closer to 5C below for the UK and France. I particularly liked the way Guillermo ended his forecast. "The snow is here to stay. We're going to have to see if we get any over Christmas, the possibility is there!" :air_kiss:

Posted

The most encouraging news for me is that we have Rob McElwee for company this evening - I think hes up to do the 10.35 forecast on BBC 1

Easily one of the 3 best forecasters on the BBC, he will tell it how it is

Of course who we really need on there is steve...

SK

Posted

You're lucky I can't say we actually have a forecaster for our region!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2818?&search=reading&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

I was in the Cotswolds on holiday last September, and, after the national BBC news, I was reminded about how dire local programming can be. The Oxford localwithinalocal crew were particularly bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I will be releasing my Final call forecast for the period pm Thur- 6pm Friday at 9:30pm tonight-

this covers the ENTIRE SE region.....

Steve

I hope we dont miss out around this was Steve, am bit worried, keep seeing the heavy stuff just to our South East, seen that so many times now.

Posted

The most encouraging news for me is that we have Rob McElwee for company this evening - I think hes up to do the 10.35 forecast on BBC 1

Easily one of the 3 best forecasters on the BBC, he will tell it how it is

Of course who we really need on there is steve...

SK

He'll be back in half an hour.. "but I doubt anything will have changed by then!" :lol:

Posted

No snow around Chelmsford today. S and E of Essex won't get below freezing until Saturday on the latest GFS output.

Forget the models at such close range. It's now time for forecasts and radar. Are you saying nothing below zero even at night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Anyone got any views on potential amounts of snow here in South East Suffolk, about 10 miles from the coast. We missed out back in February (just got a load of sleety rubbish for the most part), but with the synoptic setup this time around, surely it's got to be better?

It would be so nice to get some proper snowfall; I am fed up with trying to explain to my little girls why any snow we ever seem to get here has melted within a few hours!

Posted

Anyone got any views on potential amounts of snow here in South East Suffolk, about 10 miles from the coast. We missed out back in February (just got a load of sleety rubbish for the most part), but with the synoptic setup this time around, surely it's got to be better?

It would be so nice to get some proper snowfall; I am fed up with trying to explain to my little girls why any snow we ever seem to get here has melted within a few hours!

I'd say you have a pretty good chance of waking up on Friday to a covering that should stay for a couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

I'd say you have a pretty good chance of waking up on Friday to a covering that should stay for a couple of days.

Thanks Chris, that would be good; would be even better to see some fresh snow falling on top of it during Friday too!

But that's just being selfish......... :lol: I'll take whatever is on offer!

Posted

VERY nice update just come out ftom the Met. Risk of thundersnow and 'Blowing Snow' yahoo.gif

FAUK21 EGRR 162000

VALID DEC 16/2100Z TO 17/0300Z.

ISOL BR ACROSS THE W WILL CLEAR

THROUGH THE MORNING, WITH SHSN DEVELOPING ACROSS THE E ALONG

OCCLUSION. RISK OF EMBD CB AND TSSN. ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED,

ESPECIALLY ACROSS E COUNTIES, WITH BLSN REDUCING VISIBILITY AT

TIMES.

12Z run of the NAE from the UKMO shows very heavy convective snow showers developing over East Anglia in the afternoon moving South across Essex and then Kent overnight. Accum. amounts vary across the regions but 15CM over Eastern Essex and Kent with a couple of 20CM spots over the Downs through to Friday 12Z.

clap.gifclap.gif

Posted

VERY nice update just come out ftom the Met. Risk of thundersnow and 'Blowing Snow' yahoo.gif

FAUK21 EGRR 162000

VALID DEC 16/2100Z TO 17/0300Z.

ISOL BR ACROSS THE W WILL CLEAR

THROUGH THE MORNING, WITH SHSN DEVELOPING ACROSS THE E ALONG

OCCLUSION. RISK OF EMBD CB AND TSSN. ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED,

ESPECIALLY ACROSS E COUNTIES, WITH BLSN REDUCING VISIBILITY AT

TIMES.

12Z run of the NAE from the UKMO shows very heavy convective snow showers developing over East Anglia in the afternoon moving South across Essex and then Kent overnight. Accum. amounts vary across the regions but 15CM over Eastern Essex and Kent with a couple of 20CM spots over the Downs through to Friday 12Z.

clap.gifclap.gif

Can I ask where you get those from, and how can you view the NAE? :lol:

Edited by maidstone weather