Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Depths

AdrianHull

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

4 inches (10cm) of level snow here in Shawlands on the south side of the Weeg.

Very little melting going on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

We got a 3'' of snow in a short space of time overnight, from 0300-0500hr (mainly 0400-0500h). Snow depth at 0600hr, 15cm. Snow depth at 0900hr, 14cm in garden and 12cm in nearby field.

This afternoon I went onto the hill, which is 1km north of here to estimate the snow depth up there. I estimated the depth using a steel ruler at 82 points roughly 10 metres apart over a wide area of flat, exposed ground on the 200m asl contour. The underlying surface is rough grassland. I did not deduct the sward or thickness of the grass from each measurement. The average depth is 15cm, with max of 23cm and min of 9cm. Standard deviation is 2.4cm. Snowdrifts were up to 30cm deep.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

3cm here from a few hours of snow earlier on. Hoping for some more overnight, though judging by the radar looks like most is skimming just south of here.

This afternoon I went onto the hill, which is 1km north of here to estimate the snow depth up there. I estimated the depth using a steel ruler at 82 points roughly 10 metres apart over a wide area of flat, exposed ground on the 200m asl contour. The underlying surface is rough grassland. I did not deduct the sward or thickness of the grass from each measurement. The average depth is 15cm, with max of 23cm and min of 9cm. Standard deviation is 2.4cm. Snowdrifts were up to 30cm deep.

That must be the nerdiest thing ever.

Posted

Snow depths at 0900hr, 12cm in garden and 10cm in field.

We've had sleet, wet snow and ice pellets today. Max 2.7C, so a slight thaw as well.

In the afternoon, I walked onto the hills, which are 1km north of here to estimate the snow depth up there. There is a wide and flat, open area, which lies on the 200m asl contour. It was just a case of sticking a metal rule into the snow until it could go no further. I didn't subtract the thickness of grass underneath because this is unknown. I made 68 spot measurements at roughly 10 metres apart. The average depth is 13cm, that's 2cm less than yesterday. The max depth is 17cm and the min is 10cm. Standard deviation is 1.7cm.

Edited by snow1975

Posted

A white Xmas here, at least on the ground if not in the air!

Snow depths at 0900hr, 9cm in garden and 6/5cm in nearby field.

Posted

A white Boxing day too!

Snow depth at 0900hr, 7cm in garden and 5cm in nearby field. The 10th day in a row with snow lying at 0900hr!!!

Posted

Hey you English prick, you are just jealous because you have no snow down there!!!

Haha the Scots amuse me so Much :yahoo: Scots Wae Hae

Posted

Haha the Scots amuse me so Much :yahoo: Scots Wae Hae

There will be now no mild spell in Scotland enough to thaw snow, cold air will hang infact this will be the longest cold spell for the north since the 80`s I mean it.

Still snow here had to put salt on the road myself here for Monday morning theres still a sheet of ice!!!!

Frost tomorrow night.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

There will be now no mild spell in Scotland enough to thaw snow, cold air will hang infact this will be the longest cold spell for the north since the 80`s I mean it.

Still snow here had to put salt on the road myself here for Monday morning theres still a sheet of ice!!!!

Frost tomorrow night.

Are you up in Scotland or talking about Wales? We had a patchy snow cover here untill this morning also :rolleyes: and ice. after today passes tomorrow will start to cool down with monday looking cold and from there on more cold so really i would say this cold spell is still in full swing jst a slightly milder blip, i mean atm its 5 degress highest for today here in Southern Wales certainly not overly mild isit?

Posted

A white Boxing day too!

Snow depth at 0900hr, 7cm in garden and 5cm in nearby field. The 10th day in a row with snow lying at 0900hr!!!

Same here.

Average snow depth this morning was 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Average snow depth at Cleadon was 2cm at 0900 this morning, down from a maximum of 5cm on the 19th, 20th and 21st December.

Posted

Are you up in Scotland or talking about Wales? We had a patchy snow cover here untill this morning also :rolleyes: and ice. after today passes tomorrow will start to cool down with monday looking cold and from there on more cold so really i would say this cold spell is still in full swing jst a slightly milder blip, i mean atm its 5 degress highest for today here in Southern Wales certainly not overly mild isit?

I`m in Wales but 300m+....+ it`s raining at 3c so that means it`s going to freeze again tonight as clear skies are close by,with a relatively mild night shown.

Scotland/N england are locked into this cold spell now. :whistling:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here was the Met office's take on the depths up to the 22nd. Nice to see my home town, Aberfeldy get a mention.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/ht20091223.html

Since then I expect that the Spey Valley has probably seen the deepest snow levels with 30+ cms generally.

Edited by Norrance

I had my first real chance today to properly assess this cold spell when I took BoyCatch sledging up on the golf course at Kilmacolm with GrandadCatch. There were a few layers of snow. The top layer of about 2cm was from the huge snowflakes this morning. Below this was a thin solid crust formed after the freezing rain/sleet and then snow on Xmas day morning. Below that layer was a dry flaky 3/4 inch from the 23rd. Below that layer was the frozen slush layer from the previous 3 days of snow then snow then a wee bit of rain. The grass below all that was rock solid.

So, in the thick fog today on the golf course there was about 3 inches of varying types of cold stuff.

Tonight it has snowed at least an inch but probably going on almost 2 inches of normal snow on top of that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

40 cms reported from Aerfeldy in Perthshire this morning. Here s a link to the local weather site.

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

4 inches overnight taking us up to a total of 8 inches, the most since the decade began.

Posted

4 inches overnight taking us up to a total of 8 inches, the most since the decade began.

Lucky you. A couple of miles down the road, we only got an extra 1.5cm here. Snow depth at 0900hr, 8.5cm. Most of what fell here was sleet or wet snow.

Posted

Snow depth at 0900hr, 100% cover of snow and ice, 8cm. The snow is covered by a hard layer of ice today.

Hard to tell snow depths from my flat as the garden has been trampled regularly by our eldest and the two kids downstairs and the lane at the front has been driven over, walked over and salted regularly. So I am taking my snow depths from my parent's house which is half a mile away. They have about 5 inches of frozen slush/ice/snow etc. which is sitting on the wall around their terrace at the front of the house. Every other surface has been disturbed by various events like cars parking up, building snowmen, grandkids rolling about on the grass, so I think this is a fair reflection.

Posted

8 inches at 12pm.

I have to say, even if its a serious comment, its quite useless-drop your town in your avatar please-thanks?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At 11am, snow depths at Cleadon had reached 12cm. There has been a slight thaw since then, so that stands as the maximum for today.

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

I have to say, even if its a serious comment, its quite useless-drop your town in your avatar please-thanks?

I wonder where? Adrian's Wall? :):drunk:

About 2cm here, fell last night. Hasn't melted. Hardest frost of the winter/of the cold spell so far tonight, minus 5 to minus 10 forecast. This is the coldest I can remember since 1987 (not likely to surpass that in the forseeable future), and the longest cold spell since Feb 1986. More snow already than Feb 86 I think, so we are almost certainly looking to winter '84/85 for the next comparison in terms of cold, snow and longevity.

If a major, widespread snow event occurs across these islands then we can equal winter 81/82. I haven't forgetten 1995 but I'm sure we've already gone past that in longevity?

All very exciting really, but still can't escape the feeling that it's not as cold or snowy as it WOULD have been if these patterns had occurred in the 80s, or even the 90s?

Edited by Altohumorous