Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Please carry on :)

Why thank you, shall continue with my moaning.

I don't think a few showers were overly optimistic? Yet now we seem likely to get diddly squat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

SE this SE that. Will we ever get our turn??? The weekend had better deliver! My excitement reamins delayed yet again for another 2 or 3 days. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Just seen BBC weather forecast- if the ***** southeast gets everything yet again like they suggest I'll be really, really livid. It has been the story of this year; the snow in Feb, warm and dry weather in the summer, even relative lack of rain in November were all there for that pampered corner next to France- while here it's just been cloudy, mild and boring most of the time apart from the July and November monsoons. Another winter where Shrewsbury keeps missing the snow and I'll be in a different location come next Christmas. I've decided that tonight!

Posted

snowmad, i'm in leicestershire and i guarantee it will snow here before mondayand i reckon we will get 2cm in towns and 6cm in rural areas, which isn't a lot but better than a screaming south westerly and a lot better than a kick in the nads.

Edited by mattyray

Posted

Why thank you, shall continue with my moaning.

I don't think a few showers were overly optimistic? Yet now we seem likely to get diddly squat.

most of the forecast snow is but a couple of hours away on the train/in the car you know :D day trip to london anyone? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just seen BBC weather forecast- if the ***** southeast gets everything yet again like they suggest I'll be really, really livid. It has been the story of this year; the snow in Feb, warm and dry weather in the summer, even relative lack of rain in November were all there for that pampered corner next to France- while here it's just been cloudy, mild and boring most of the time apart from the July and November monsoons. Another winter where Shrewsbury keeps missing the snow and I'll be in a different location come next Christmas. I've decided that tonight!

Why do they get the extra attention? Its no different really to anywhere else yet it gets all the media attention. Its very biased with little care for anywhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

most of the forecast snow is but a couple of hours away on the train/in the car you know whistling.gif day trip to london anyone? tongue.gif

If you have to pass through Rutland, bacon sarnies await! Free of charge to all Netweather users!!!!rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

had a sleety, but mostly snowy shower about 20 mins ago did no one in leicester notice!!

I didn't even bother looking out the window, I just put the bins out in the street though and everywheres soaked and it didn't even feel that cold :D

So much for a cold spell, absolute garbage.

Posted

If you thought at the time that I was perhaps being overly optimistic then you should just post that you don't agree, instead of waiting until we get closer to the actual time of the event and then disagree with me.

it was because you were contradicting my point about the easterly, which was a fair point made really, the more prolonged the flow, the more time troughs and colder air could be pulled in. also at the moment, id say sunday will be downgraded also

Posted

I didn't even bother looking out the window, I just put the bins out in the street though and everywheres soaked and it didn't even feel that cold :shok:

So much for a cold spell, absolute garbage.

A little train trip east tomorrow as I have a day off i'm thinking ... hmm how far do you think I will have to go ? scandi .. lol

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

A little train trip east tomorrow as I have a day off i'm thinking ... hmm how far do you think I will have to go ? scandi .. lol

I'm seriously considering it you know lol. I am going to see my grandad in the General tomorrow but afterwards I might hop on a train to Peterborough if theres no snow here.

Posted

Sorry, me again with another moan. More downgrades on the 18z for our region. Even the front that comes down on Saturday sort of fizzles out before it reaches us. It might provide some light snow for a time but the intensity has weakened a lot and it moves through very quickly indeed.

Monday is now probably our best bet. Rob's tease at the end of his forecast got me thinking, then I saw the rather messy fax chart...

http://209.197.11.132/a7h9b2n7/cds/fax/PPVO89.png?dopvhost=cache.netweather.tv&doppl=0f36092b441f7af8444f7aa8958a71e3444f7a93&dopsig=7ba0dc17344088df8d4da715e7491d4c

Looks interesting- but still a long way off. Also if the breakdown occurs in a similar fashion to the 18z and we have a channel low colliding with cold air residing over the UK, then the Midlands would be in the firing line for the biggest snowfalls from that sort of setup and the 18z illustrates this well.

But the reality is that the only heavy snow event that we can forecast with any certainty right now is the one for Thursday night into Friday. And I'm afraid to say, it most definitely doesn't include us!

Posted

I'm seriously considering it you know lol. I am going to see my grandad in the General tomorrow but afterwards I might hop on a train to Peterborough if theres no snow here.

Looking at the forecast peterborough doesn't look much better than here. I might go Skegness and day return is about same price has peterborough.

Posted

Looking at the forecast peterborough doesn't look much better than here. I might go Skegness and day return is about same price has peterborough.

Hmmm I reckon Skeggys too close to the coast though, might not settle. The best place to go would be somewhere like Cambridge but that wouldn't be cheap on a day return. Probably about 20 quid or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

My advice would be to just enjoy the cold for now. This spell is still in its infancy and it's not as if all the potential snow has been completely cut off. Opportunities are there in to the weekend.

Personally, i'm looking forward to possibly recording my first Ice Day without the aid of freezing fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sorry, me again with another moan. More downgrades on the 18z for our region. Even the front that comes down on Saturday sort of fizzles out before it reaches us. It might provide some light snow for a time but the intensity has weakened a lot and it moves through very quickly indeed.

Monday is now probably our best bet. Rob's tease at the end of his forecast got me thinking, then I saw the rather messy fax chart...

http://209.197.11.132/a7h9b2n7/cds/fax/PPVO89.png?dopvhost=cache.netweather.tv&doppl=0f36092b441f7af8444f7aa8958a71e3444f7a93&dopsig=7ba0dc17344088df8d4da715e7491d4c

Looks interesting- but still a long way off. Also if the breakdown occurs in a similar fashion to the 18z and we have a channel low colliding with cold air residing over the UK, then the Midlands would be in the firing line for the biggest snowfalls from that sort of setup and the 18z illustrates this well.

But the reality is that the only heavy snow event that we can forecast with any certainty right now is the one for Thursday night into Friday. And I'm afraid to say, it most definitely doesn't include us!

Yes, I was going to post along those lines, but you beat me to it!....Spotted that around T+150....some potential there, but a long way off, near the realms of FI, but interesting to see how it pans out

Posted

Hmmm I reckon Skeggys too close to the coast though, might not settle. The best place to go would be somewhere like Cambridge but that wouldn't be cheap on a day return. Probably about 20 quid or so.

I think it be fine , 510 dam approaching and -12 850's . I don't think people are realizing how cold it will be tomorrow , nothing like we have seen already.

Posted

I think it be fine , 510 dam approaching and -12 850's . I don't think people are realizing how cold it will be tomorrow , nothing like we have seen already.

How much is it for a day return?

Posted

£17 with a rail card. Not sure without , but wont be much more .

Hmmmmmmmm bet it's about £25 without one, I would like to go but I haven't exactly got £25 to burn. If you went what time would you head off?

Posted

I have a good chance of seeing snow falling Thursday night into Friday. The thing is its forecast by Netweather to be 'V.light' - Doesn't sound very interesting to put it bluntly. Should i be taking this with a pinch of salt, or is this what is expected for us? :yahoo: