Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

eldest son is 24 on monday and since he was tiny all he has ever wanted is to see snow falling on his birthday (1 flake would do)- he's still waiting :yahoo:

whats the chances for this year - bearing in mind Coventry isn't known for snow

Posted

I have a good chance of seeing snow falling Thursday night into Friday. The thing is its forecast by Netweather to be 'V.light' - Doesn't sound very interesting to put it bluntly. Should i be taking this with a pinch of salt, or is this what is expected for us? :yahoo:

This normally means you won't get anything. NW is showing something ridiculous like 0.05mm for Northants which equates to diddly squat over 3 hrs.

The heavier precip will be concentrated over East Anglia and the south-east. No denying that now.

Posted

Hmmmmmmmm bet it's about £25 without one, I would like to go but I haven't exactly got £25 to burn. If you went what time would you head off?

Around 9 , if the coastal thing is a problem , boston is just up the road but inland. Don't think it will be wasn't last time I went in only -5 850's.

Posted

eldest son is 24 on monday and since he was tiny all he has ever wanted is to see snow falling on his birthday (1 flake would do)- he's still waiting :wallbash:

whats the chances for this year - bearing in mind Coventry isn't known for snow

Better than usual. Currently about a 30% chance I would say. On Saturday we should have a better idea though.

Posted

Snow showers gradually becoming confined to the SE of Kent by the end of Fri evening leading to a very cold night with a severe frost in places. PAtchy Sleet Snow comes south on saturday followed by an active COld Front - this bringing the risk of some heavier snow south across many places into sat Afternoon, evening and overnight. DEtails still need to be resolved.

Copied over from one of the Forecasters on Ukww (Paul Blight)

Looking good for you guys on Saturday :wallbash:

And for what its worth you should get Snow showers tomorrow late afternoon and evening given the 40mph Gale Force North Easterly blowing around the Wash area. It's juts a lottery how far inland they come and wether they make the trip before dying out

Paul S

Posted

This normally means you won't get anything. NW is showing something ridiculous like 0.05mm for Northants which equates to diddly squat over 3 hrs.

The heavier precip will be concentrated over East Anglia and the south-east. No denying that now.

Oooooooh Bladdy Hell! :D Ahwell im still looking forward to whats to come over the next few days. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out! :cold::wallbash:

Posted

My local weather station Pitsford Hall issued this forecast yesterday (Wednesday morning):

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

The cold snap will continue across Northamptonshire today and for the remainder of the week into the weekend. An overcast start with much of the county very slowly nudging above freezing following a sharp frost overnight. There are some drizzly spells around and these could turn wintry for a time later this morning before a more general area of rain works southwards through the afternoon. As the rain clears this evening it will become wintry again on its trailing edge, perhaps a few brief snow flurries will be seen across higher ground, but generally the overnight period will be dry. Temperatures today will struggle to top 3C falling overnight to 1C. The wind will be light for the most part and northerly, picking up this evening and overnight and veering north-easterly.

OUTLOOK

A particularly raw day is expected tomorrow. The day will start off dry, although we will notice a biting and freshening east or north-easterly wind. This wind will bring with it some snow showers, patchy at first and confined to areas further east during the morning, but then becoming more widespread and heavy as they move inland across the county during the afternoon and evening. Highs tomorrow will reach 3C falling overnight to -2C. Snow showers will continue overnight and into Friday, continuing to fall throughout the day. Unsurprisingly it will feel bitterly cold with highs of just 2C. Overnight lows will fall sharply to around -4C. The wind will continue moderate and from the north-east. Further snow showers are expected Saturday morning and again more substantially during the late afternoon and early evening driven by a good moderate northerly wind. Temperatures still will struggle to make 2C falling sharply overnight again to -3C. Sunday should stay largely dry, but the wind having fallen light overnight Saturday will pick up and back to a moderate to fresh north-westerly. Further snow showers will fall overnight into Monday.

Something tells me it won't read as good as this tomorrow! But I can't blame them as I would have put out something very similar going by what the charts showed first thing Wednesday.

Looking at the forecast peterborough doesn't look much better than here. I might go Skegness and day return is about same price has peterborough.

You'll do better going down to Kent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm shower heading straight towards my postcode, current temp 2.1c dew -0.8c, i'm not going bed JUST yet lol.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Light rain falling here, snow reports just 30 miles North however so the fun and games should begin within the next few hours.

Posted

snowmad, i'm in leicestershire and i guarantee it will snow here before mondayand i reckon we will get 2cm in towns and 6cm in rural areas, which isn't a lot but better than a screaming south westerly and a lot better than a kick in the nads.

Before midday ?? Hmm who want's to bet a tenner . LOL.

In my view models look slightly better this morning , The local weather forecasters are full of nerves and are being very simplistic in what they say and not mentioning any areas. but there again the metoffice have gone back to saying significant snowfall in some areas again on the East midlands section .. :whistling: Radars at the ready ... and remember the met office radar doesnt always show up properly in this situation .

Oh and radar shows me Showers are getting well inland already .

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

Oh god, the suspense is killing me!!!

I think they'll get as far as me, especially once that wind picks up.

Looks a weenie bit better for us snowise over the weekend, and the long term trand isn't too horrifying.

Posted

Oh god, the suspense is killing me!!!

I think they'll get as far as me, especially once that wind picks up.

Looks a weenie bit better for us snowise over the weekend, and the long term trand isn't too horrifying.

You can see what the problem is going to be later though , you got 35 mph Easterly winds on the Coast , but then your gonna have 25 Mph Northerly Winds inland sending them South instead of West . If the winds Inland don't pick up as much as forecast it is likely to be a much better situation .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Couple of beefy showers heading SW through Derbyshire now, will definitely be of snow. Could be a chance here.

Posted

haha I hope you get some matey :crazy:

We look to be on of the few areas in Britain that's gonna miss out the whole lot, except maybe sunday.........never mind there's plenty of time left this winter :unknw:

Posted

You can see what the problem is going to be later though , you got 35 mph Easterly winds on the Coast , but then your gonna have 25 Mph Northerly Winds inland sending them South instead of West . If the winds Inland don't pick up as much as forecast it is likely to be a much better situation .

this also prevents frost from forming. either way, its cold but not picturesque :unknw:

Posted

Yayyyy, well im forecast a stream of snow over me later this evening from roughly 9pm til 3am going by the bbc weather map with the 24hr forecast image going with heavy snow between midnight and 3am Friday. :unknw::crazy::good:

Also Netweather are also going along the lines of this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Yea iv got to say the charts look quite a lot better this morning , the now more in land , remeber this . . .

The snow NEVER falls to the mile where forecast , its always different come the even, also . . . .

There will be other little developments they dont pick up on untill during the event , plus with the upper air like it is , there will be a lot of disturbences i feel , so all in all . .

Im a lot more hopfeull this morning , so saying that . . .

Let it snow let it snow let it snow cold.gifclap.gifgood.gif

Posted

Well the latest UKMO forecast has cheered me up quite a bit with snow (albeit light) forecast from 1500 right through to 0900.

Looking at the radar there's plenty of shower activity already. Bradford is currently getting moderate snow which was NOT forecast by the GFS. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Forecast advisory has been extended to Gloucestershire and more parts of the Midlands!!

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

HEY LISTEN EVERY1 . . .

I have a real feeling about this , carol on the bbc said the snow will affect the midlands as we go through the night , the actual beeb run didnt show the snow directly over us but it shows they arent sure exaxtly where its goin to hit , watch his space ppl seriously , i think its gonna bk track so hears to positive thinkin pardon.gifpardon.gif

Posted

Forecast advisory has been extended to Gloucestershire and more parts of the Midlands!!

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Oxfordshire in the orange zone- further north and east, Northamptonshire is yellow. Typical! ;)

Seriously though, this is definitely a nowcasting event now. I favour somewhere in Kent and Sussex for the biggest snowfall tonight into tomorrow but I think parts of the Midlands will experience snow as well.

Check the radar now and you'll see the showers are already spilling over the country, some heavy, and making good progress inland as they do so. :D