Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Are us Midlanders in for any snow before Tuesday???

Very likely, best time will be saturday and sunday, but, this is very much "in the air" atm, as the situation is really unusual for modern times, but i will say ....yes. :)

Posted

Hi again folks. Quick update from me...well very uninspiring radar returns at the moment for our region but if you look at the BBC forecast the main band is progged to realign itself a bit further north west at some point. I'm not making this up, watch the forecast carefully and you'll see what I mean. For now it's a waiting game and a few more hours at least of frantic radar watching. Would expect to see some improvement from midnight if we're on, otherwise I'll be off to bed in disgust!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I've thrown in my postcode to the NW radar and the main precip band is now showing on my postcode square - it's getting closer that's fore sure, it's just how far it will go. Here it is now and I'll post again in an hour.

post-5563-12610876267256_thumb.png

Posted

I'm from Shrewsbury but we usually miss rainfall. Does the Sunday/Monday setup suit me and it seems to keep being pushed away?

I'd say you should be fine for snow on sunday, just watch the radar and don't be annoyed if the band fragments and misses you, it happens to us all :aggressive:

do you have a link to a rainfall radar?

If not here's a few. shove' em all in fav's.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

http://www.meteox.co.uk/images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop1uur&c=&n=&tijdid=20098252232

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I've thrown in my postcode to the NW radar and the main precip band is now showing on my postcode square - it's getting closer that's fore sure, it's just how far it will go. Here it is now and I'll post again in an hour.

i should think that if we stay up till midnight we should know one way or another whether the snow will reach us.

P.S. i love Polesworth, it's my favourite place to go on bikerides to, all on the flat along the Anker valley :whistling:

Posted

monday will see lots of snow for many, unfortunately we manage to miss most of it, although with these situations we tend to do ok so wouldnt be to sure yet, i think saturdays 18z should sure up mondays event so still a way off yet.

Posted

The band is not behaving itself. Looks to be setting up from Norfolk down to Hampshire instead of Norfolk down to Oxfordshire. At this rate more chance of snow in Southampton than Northampton. :nonono:

Posted

I'm from Shrewsbury but we usually miss rainfall. Does the Sunday/Monday setup suit me and it seems to keep being pushed away?

I've lived in Shrewsbury 20 years and have recently sworn that I'll move for good if we miss all the snow for yet another winter. We ought to harvest the air here and sell it to all those London councils that keep running out of grit!

The best hope for Sun/Mon as far as I can see is an area of snow coming straight down the Cheshire Gap like at Christmas 2004; however the slightest change in wind direction could send it all to Birmingham with nothing here like happened Easter 2008, November 2005 or even turn it into an east-only event (too many recently to mention).

Posted

I'd say you should be fine for snow on sunday, just watch the radar and don't be annoyed if the band fragments and misses you, it happens to us all :nonono:

do you have a link to a rainfall radar?

If not here's a few. shove' em all in fav's.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

http://www.meteox.co.uk/images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop1uur&c=&n=&tijdid=20098252232

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

i should think that if we stay up till midnight we should know one way or another whether the snow will reach us.

P.S. i love Polesworth, it's my favourite place to go on bikerides to, all on the flat along the Anker valley :rofl:

Weve got no chance now, for it to move 50miles north west at this stage when its not expected to move much until the early hours when it moves away to the south is unlikely. oxford may just get in on the action and maybe northampton if there very lucky. my only hope is the showers near to the main band keep there strength to get to us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yeah it's all over for the Midlands tonight. I think I might go to bed - damn... means I have to go to the dentist tomorrow after all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

I'm off laugh.gif

Can't stand the fact that everywhere around the Midlands has snow. It's painful to watch.

Night all.

It`ll come back to haunt you at midnight when your back online!ph34r.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

SE got a take action alert now. A further stab in the back! What an annoying start to this cold spell. :)

Many are reporting very heavy snow with the lights dimming etc. Never known that happen here and doubt it ever will! Why does the SE get everything? :bomb:

Posted

Only just read that the Met Office have upgraded their warning. :) Joke. 15cm or 6" within 3 hours warrants a extreme weather warning? Like I said, joke.

:rofl: southeast remember....southern softies, wonder when they will stop the buses? after all the luftwaffer are due to attack any minute....oh wait....... :bomb:

Posted

I'm not going to depress myself further by looking at the MeteoFrance site or wherever else one finds the SE's weather reports, suffice to say that one more instance of that region getting all the fun weather will prove once and for all that this "climate change" thing is just a conspiracy to make the London media notice the weather more by engineering the atmosphere so all the winter snow, summer heat, thunder etc etc goes to the SE and nowhere else. Either give all of Britain the snow or keep it in Copenhagen!

Posted

Just accidentally clicked on the Londonshire section and many of them are reporting it not settling, melting, one even says it's raining.... Hate to be a party pooper but HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA they're getting a taste of Shrewsbury weather.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

I've lived in Shrewsbury 20 years and have recently sworn that I'll move for good if we miss all the snow for yet another winter. We ought to harvest the air here and sell it to all those London councils that keep running out of grit!

The best hope for Sun/Mon as far as I can see is an area of snow coming straight down the Cheshire Gap like at Christmas 2004; however the slightest change in wind direction could send it all to Birmingham with nothing here like happened Easter 2008, November 2005 or even turn it into an east-only event (too many recently to mention).

I live in Shrews too and find your post a little strange, I can recall a couple of good snow days over the last few years. THink it was a couple of years ago when we had loads overnight and on the SUnday went for a walk in the morning and it as pretty deep. We even had some towards the end of last winter before Easter (My wife informs me that this was this year as she took the class she teaches out in it). There were a lot of schools closed and the rest in both of those events over the last couple of years.

Granted it never seems severe around here, well not as severe as other regions or like it was when I was a kid (I used to live out by Montford Bridge and when I was younger not sure of the year we spent 4 days snowed in and without Electric... I would love that again)

We dont do too bad for all types of weather here IMO...hopefully the weekend and early next week will come good for Shropshire.

Posted

Only just read that the Met Office have upgraded their warning. :) Joke. 15cm or 6" within 3 hours warrants a extreme weather warning? Like I said, joke.

Not like we're jealous or anything :drinks::) But ye it is over the top, but what do you expect its down sarffff east.

Rob M said the snow into the weekend will switch attention to the north west of UK, mentioned N ireland, scotland and NW england... hopefully we get some action.

Edited by tom_f123

Posted

I live just inside the East Midlands, and the snow has stuck on the radar about 5 miles southeast into Bedfordshire for the past 3-4 hours. So in the morning, I'll literally drive a few miles down the road into work in Bedford, and it will be all white. Gutted.

The scene in Ipswich...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/webcams/live/ipswich.jpg

Incredibly jealous to be honest but at the same time pleased for the guys down there.

Its worse when you know it has been snowing for the past 3 hours a sniff away and all you've had is a few flakes in the wind... At least in Northampton you are far enough away from the band not to feel as sick as a pig.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

You, and many other people draw an inaccurate picture of the type of weather the south east experience. They are experiencing heavy snow. Me and you have experienced heavy snow, so they are not experiencing anything that we haven't before. So the lights are flickering on the street or in their houses, does that make this weather more severe? No.

This is not me being jealous...well, I really wish we had what they're experiencing down there, but honestly, why people and the Met Office feel the need to exaggerate what is a 'normal' weather event, I'll never know.

The amount of severe weather we have incomparison to the SE is quite little imo-well for me it is anyway.