Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

local forecast from pitsford weather station.

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

A hard frost greets the county this morning with icy stretches presenting a serious hazard on untreated minor roads and pavements. Although much of the day will be bathed in good sunshine, temperatures will recover only very slowly and, like yesterday, are unlikely to get significantly above freezing. The wind will be a light north-westerly for the most part, freshening this evening. It will tend to turn cloudier through the late afternoon and evening ahead of the frontal system heading southwards which will bring a significant fall of snow across the county overnight. Lows during the night will fall to -3C.

OUTLOOK

So a difficult start tomorrow morning. The county will wake to a fresh fall of snow with accumulations up to several cms on top of yesterday's fall. However, there will be some good spells of sunshine through the day. It will continue to feel very cold in a biting and moderate north-westerly breeze. Highs of 1C, but feeling much colder with the added wind chill. Lows overnight will fall to -2C. Monday is likely to see further falls of snow, mainly as sleet during the day but reverted back to heavy snow overnight. Highs of 2C falling overnight to -3C.

Hmmm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Some of us in the East Mids have had decent snow.

But we want more diablo.gif

Overnight low of -6.2c recorded at 08:49 this morning !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

problem is now, lots of cloud ahead of front, coming in already and rising temp, 0.0C now but by evening i would have thought much higher, hope not marginal tonight

Posted

Meto's outlook, has a much colder theme to it now with no mention of a breakdown....

http://forum.netweat...k/page__st__935

This winter is deffo reminding me of the winter of 81

Very cold december with heavy snow (bolton) mild period between xmas and new year temps about +4 or 5

slight thaw of the snow between xmas and new year.

then a bitter january.

Posted

problem is now, lots of cloud ahead of front, coming in already and rising temp, 0.0C now but by evening i would have thought much higher, hope not marginal tonight

Still -5C here in Peterborough at 12.30pm!

Posted

Temps will fall as the cold air pushes down, I can't understand your logic of saying temps will go much higher. Do you work for the BBC Weather Centre or something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

F.F.S on the models this morning that mild sector stretches all the way across Wales, West Midlands and East Midlands for a short time. Bugger off mild sector.

I don't think it will make any difference though, still expect it to be snow when it arrives, mild sector or not.

Posted

Very cold temps GFS showing tonight which is rather surprising considering it`s a NW-ly flow and not an east like yesterday,snowcover that means.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn241.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2417.png

Posted

Temps will fall as the cold air pushes down, I can't understand your logic of saying temps will go much higher. Do you work for the BBC Weather Centre or something?

bbc weather update says 5cm for midlands and SE!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hope you Northampton lot enjoyed that snow!!! Nottingham didnt get a single flake unknw.gif So close though!! I am really baffled as to why the Meto are unwilling to place Notts county in the yellow watch for tonight?? I really figured all of the country was going to get some decent snow, albeit not for hours, but a few cm hopefully. Our local eastmids weatherman said sleet shower and then clear (???) I cant imagine it sleeting here honostly... I am really aching for some snow now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had 2 snow showers on Thursday!! cant complain pardon.gif

Posted

Hope you Northampton lot enjoyed that snow!!! Nottingham didnt get a single flake unknw.gif So close though!! I am really baffled as to why the Meto are unwilling to place Notts county in the yellow watch for tonight?? I really figured all of the country was going to get some decent snow, albeit not for hours, but a few cm hopefully. Our local eastmids weatherman said sleet shower and then clear (???) I cant imagine it sleeting here honostly... I am really aching for some snow now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had 2 snow showers on Thursday!! cant complain pardon.gif

East Mids weatherman... Was it that black guy Des Coleman? I love him, he's usually awesome. If he said sleet though... I'm peeved :lol:

Posted

Temps do rise when cloudcover comes along.

0.6c here.

Other reads -1.5c though which is the same as all the cars I`ve been in always reads 2c lower

accuracy of these old max/min thermometers and cars make no sense at all to me,as frost has thawed in certain places.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

East Mids weatherman... Was it that black guy Des Coleman? I love him, he's usually awesome. If he said sleet though... I'm peeved wallbash.gif

HAHAHA!! yeah! he's dead animated with his arms and stuf lol!! It was the local east mids weather on the bbc website though, so it might be out of date (God I hope so) I havent seen the forecast this afternoon yet, maybe its changed.... still no warnings from meto though :p

Posted

HAHAHA!! yeah! he's dead animated with his arms and stuf lol!! It was the local east mids weather on the bbc website though, so it might be out of date (God I hope so) I havent seen the forecast this afternoon yet, maybe its changed.... still no warnings from meto though :D

He's easily the most charismatic Weatherman there is :p

I will be very surprised if it falls as rain in the East Midlands I have to admit. The temps look favourable but the only thing thats worrying me slightly is the warmer sector os 850's. But they seem to steam through in the space of a few hours and they are around -2 to -3 and I have seen it snow with those upper air temps before so I don't think it will make much difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

New thread coming soon, peeps... :p

New thread coming soon, peeps... :D

Closing this one now...