Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Are the showers starting to pep up?? or is that just me :S.

Fingers crossed, light snow here now, can still see clear sky - ideally would like to see that snowless area east of Cambridge to West Suffolk get filled in, then it might be game on. Very windy mind, so no snow is settling at the minute - just disappearing off into space. Impressive wind chill though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Predictive radar suggesting a Wash streamer and those showers from the north getting much further south towards Birmingham

Posted

Predictive radar suggesting a Wash streamer and those showers from the north getting much further south towards Birmingham

Yes snowing here in Peterborough and already have a covering.

Posted

Looking at the NW radar the snow showers are very slowly moving north west and more showers coming down from the North East which is a good sign for anyone in North Oxfordshire/Warwickshire

Posted

Happy to hear the snow has arrived in Rushden! Still waiting here in NN2 but ever hopeful going on the increasingly positive radar returns.

Don't get your hopes up just yet, it has stopped and never landed much in any case... bedtime is approaching fast. Piffle. Hope for a reload off the Wash and the precipitation over Suffolk catches up. Its been rubbish thus far... other than the temporary blizzard conditions in Bedford at work this afternoon.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Looks like the showers are moving towards us and losing their intensity pretty quickly. Need a more organised push or we'll be going about this the hard way.

Still no snow to report here yet.

Posted

Looks like the showers are moving towards us and losing their intensity pretty quickly. Need a more organised push or we'll be going about this the hard way.

Still no snow to report here yet.

Getting towards moderate snow here, but so windy its only accumulating on fences... definately getting heavier though and hints on the radar of that empty patch getting filled in. Can't write it off yet... but mother and baby sleeping, huzzah!

Sods law though, some areas get stuck under a slow moving front for hours on our doorstep, then it gets a speed on and rushes through in left trouser leg weak fashion. The swear filter never ceases to amuse.

Edit: snow stopped again. This looks like a poor do for us. All I conceive is that our modestly elevated county might see some benefit overnight. But 5cm now looks like a barely obtainable target.

On that issue, I like the fact the Met Office says 20 cm over hills in the south-east? What does that constitute exactly??? Dunstable Downs, the thin sliver of the North and South Downs, with elevations over 600ft? Hills in Essex and Suffolk? I know there are bits above 400ft but I wouldn't class them as 'hills'. Maybes i'm being fussy because i'm from North Yorkshire. Hills, hahahaha. We stuggle with them in Northants.

Oh I forgot the "Jewel of Crown" Leith Hill at 945ft.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Edit: snow stopped again. This looks like a poor do for us. All I conceive is that our modestly elevated county might see some benefit overnight. But 5cm now looks like a barely obtainable target.

The UKMO 24hr has updated. Snow showers forecast up until 1800 tonight with heavy snow showers around 3am.

It isn't over yet going by that. But I think I'm going to have to relent and go to bed. Work beckons in the morning regardless. :whistling:

Posted

The UKMO 24hr has updated. Snow showers forecast up until 1800 tonight with heavy snow showers around 3am.

It isn't over yet going by that. But I think I'm going to have to relent and go to bed. Work beckons in the morning regardless. :whistling:

Yes I'm up too late - must rise at 6.30am for work, but not long to Christmas and some time off. Burping and winding the baby. Got a proper dusting now in Rushden, so that's at least something. Need TETIS's Wash streamer big style.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Yes I'm up too late - must rise at 6.30am for work, but not long to Christmas and some time off. Burping and winding the baby. Got a proper dusting now in Rushden, so that's at least something. Need TETIS's Wash streamer big style.

Can see the brighter echoes clearly heading into Rushden now on the radar. Some oranges in the mix which equates to about 4-8mm an hour I think? Not bad at all.

Looks like you will do OK over the coming hours.

Posted

Can see the brighter echoes clearly heading into Rushden now on the radar. Some oranges in the mix which equates to about 4-8mm an hour I think? Not bad at all.

Looks like you will do OK over the coming hours.

Snowing rather heavily now... settling everywhere of course, as it does in Northamptonshire. A quick 2cm by the looks of things. Woop. Got some catching up to do. Wafting it over to Northampton down the A45.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

I can't tell if it's ever going to make it here or not. Each radar looks encouraging but it doesn't seem to be getting much closer. Literally just to the south-west of here but plenty more piling in via the NE.

Just seen your edit- thank you. Hope it has the desired effect. Lol.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

I can't tell if it's ever going to make it here or not. Each radar looks encouraging but it doesn't seem to be getting much closer. Literally just to the south-west of here but plenty more piling in via the NE.

Just seen your edit- thank you. Hope it has the desired effect. Lol.

Heavy blowing snow - settling everywhere and bitter outside - latest radar does suggest some pepping up and infill, so perhaps, maybe Northants might do okay. In the time i've taken to compose this, I reckon there is now 3cm on the grass, about 2cm on the roads and pavements and about 8cm drifted. So I pass this on down the Nene valley with all things crossed.

Posted

Heavy blowing snow - settling everywhere and bitter outside - latest radar does suggest some pepping up and infill, so perhaps, maybe Northants might do okay. In the time i've taken to compose this, I reckon there is now 3cm on the grass, about 2cm on the roads and pavements and about 8cm drifted. So I pass this on down the Nene valley with all things crossed.

Crikey! That all unfolded very quickly indeed. Just shows what is possible where we get the heavier precip.

Congrats though.

Posted

Crikey! That all unfolded very quickly indeed. Just shows what is possible where we get the heavier precip.

Congrats though.

I don't understnad congratulations with regards to weather. Yes - showers are lucky - but this must be heading westwards, I reckon its got at least as far as Ecton by now.

Snowing a beaut out there. Finally could be a better night...

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Woke up to a covering in Northampton and snowing steadily as I speak! :yahoo:

Local radio saying it's particularly "bad" towards Rushden.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

...and we have a flash warning out for Northamptonshire for the first time during this cold spell:

Heavy Snow 0800 Fri 18 0000 Sat 19

East Midlands:

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Rutland

Further heavy snow showers will give accumulations of 5-10cm in places today with 15-20cm possible, especially over hills. Some drifting snow is likely in the strong north to northeasterly wind at first with disruption to travel networks. The snow showers are expected to gradually die out during the evening from the north.

Issued at: 0616 Fri 18 Dec

Posted

Just started snowing here in Aston le Walls. Been very clear and starry all night. Temp -1.4 c. Sky now very cloudy from what I can see - clouds scudding very quickly in the strong wind. Might get to you soon 'Turnedoutniceagain', we're not far from you, we're 7 miles north of Banbury.