Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Hello! snow moved up from snizzle to steady small flakes

Posted

Everything has stopped now in gravesend, would anyone be so kind to let me know what the chances are of any further snowfall in gravesend?

If the Thames Streamer does build, would i be in the firing line.

Thanks in advance. rolleyes.gif

Posted

Can anyone in South Essex (South of Chelmsford) with a few inches of snow please post a pic. I'd like to see how wet it looks.

I'm happy and enjoying this... no complaints, this is December. Just conversation and observation!

Posted

Things seem to be moving a tad more westwards now after being stuck frustrated about 10 miles from really the good stuff. But hey, I technically live in the East Midlands so apologies for gatecrashing the party, 1 mile from East Anglia. Got some light stuff at the minute, too windy to settle but I suppose with the benefit of 'higher ground' whats that, 100m or so, its -1.3 with a dewpoint of -3.8C. So if the light snow fell vertically I might see some acculumation at the minute, but its going to have to get a damn sight heavier.

Enjoy all those tonight those who have seen some decent accumulations. I shall now skulk across my geographical border into the Midlands thread.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi Everyone -I have been a member since 2004 and never posted as never been brave enough!! But had to share my evening with you. I work at the library at the Chatham (medway) university campus. Firstly - I was lucky enough to experience Thundersnow!!! Was totally blown away by it - it caused a major power surge and the lights where on and off! The snow come down so fast, alot of my students have never seen snow - so what with them screaming and running around like headless chickens, light going on and off i have never experienced such extreme weather!

Glad to say i am home now (after dumping the car half way home) enjoying a glass of wine!

Hope every one enjoys the weather and thanks for keeping me up to date and entertained for the last 5 yrs!!

Welcome to N-W and thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't been brave enough to venture out into the malestrom out there, rather I am happy to be an armchair observer this evening!

Think we'll start to see more scattered heavy snow showers develop in the S N Sea this morning as winds turn more NE and ENE bringing in colder drier air, recent obs in middle of the south N Sea giving DP of -3C/temp 1C (bearing in mind SST around 10C) while DPs are closer to 0C across SE, so colder drier air on the way which will help showers build in from the N Sea like further N across NE and E England.

Still snowing light-moderate here with a gusty wind. Snow has high moisture content sticking to everything despite strong winds.

Good Post- the air has looked as though its drying out in the last hour- I think this dryer air will start filtering into Kent soon-

Ive got the NW radar set up to IP11 at the moment which gives good coverage of the estuary- my snows coming along through Ipswich-

I have noticed from the 23:55 radar until the 00:15 radar that the estuary if firing up convection lines---

NORTH KENT this is better news for you-

Steve

Posted

Can anyone in South Essex (South of Chelmsford) with a few inches of snow please post a pic. I'd like to see how wet it looks.

I'm happy and enjoying this... no complaints, this is December. Just conversation and observation!

I'm on the edge of South Chelmsford ~(Galleywood way) and we're well and truly still snow here

Posted

Everything has stopped now in gravesend, would anyone be so kind to let me know what the chances are of any further snowfall in gravesend?

If the Thames Streamer does build, would i be in the firing line.

Thanks in advance. rolleyes.gif

Do my eyes deceive me or is there some more precip showing up off the Thames estuary? Possible streamer forming here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

snowing in high wycombe for last 3 hours a lot of snow has settled trecherous outside

Yes and nothing 40 miles up the road wallbash.gif

Radar now suggest 7 miles away ?

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Second wave of snow started about 15 minutes ago and it seems we've got a nice wodge coming.

Here's a very 'artistic' (hmmm) shot of the tree outside the bedroom window…

post-8078-12610963050249_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

everything white now in croydon even the main road that they have been gritting all day. and this isnt even a thames streamer yet wow hope we get one

Posted

measured the bin here in Chelmsford - just under 4 inches

and still snowing although not as hard as eariler

up to max amounts we had last year already - going to be interesting tomorrow morning if even more to come !

I think you need to get your ruler out mate. Just walked 2.5 miles from Chelmsford to home and max is about 1.5 inches?! Might be 4" by breakfast time?

Simon

Posted

Think we'll start to see more scattered heavy snow showers develop in the S N Sea this morning as winds turn more NE and ENE bringing in colder drier air, recent obs in middle of the south N Sea giving DP of -3C/temp 1C (bearing in mind SST around 10C) while DPs are closer to 0C across SE, so colder drier air on the way which will help showers build in from the N Sea like further N across NE and E England.

Still snowing light-moderate here with a gusty wind. Snow has high moisture content sticking to everything despite strong winds.

Same here too,just took some pics,case the snow thief comes in the night :D

post-8172-1261096288435_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12610963180323_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12610963593769_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12610963921713_thumb.jpg

Posted

Second wave of snow started about 15 minutes ago and it seems we've got a nice wodge coming.

Here's a very 'artistic' (hmmm) shot of the tree outside the bedroom window…

Top photo that! :D

Posted

I think you need to get your ruler out mate. Just walked 2.5 miles from Chelmsford to home and max is about 1.5 inches?! Might be 4" by breakfast time?

Simon

I can confirm 12CM here in Danbury (4.7in)

Posted

Seems to have quitened down somewhat in here so hopefully some of you more experienced guys won't mind me posting the inevitable "will it snow" question!!!

Have had about 2 inches in the CM8 area of Essex this evening (which I'm very happy with) but have noticed several people saying that with the wind changing direction there could be more on the way. Just been out for a ciggy and can hear the tell tale dripping so just wondered if there would be anymore for me tonight?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

Same here too,just took some pics,case the snow thief comes in the night :good:

Awesome pictures, thanks. I absolutely believe I would have got that if the temps were colder [/not complaining]. That's proper snow! Maybe before the morning we'll get something like that stuff here too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

talk about piggy in the middle, ive got naff all, had less than 1cm earlier this evening mostly melted now, looks like im gonna miss out

Posted

Just about to upload some pics AFT

Paul S

Time you upload some snaps the thread has rattled on 2 or three pages,unreal.:good: