IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Ah but Danbury in on top of a hill. Downtown Chelmsford has about 1" to 1.5"

just goes to show how height makes a difference

we live in CHelmsford but on a hill (not Danbury) and 65m ASL

over 4 inches here

Posted

Looks like the power / light flickering was quite a widespread issue possibly all of Southern England, reports from places like Southampton, the West End in London, all over Essex, Herts, several other places all the same sort of time. Wonder how close we were to a major power outage.

Posted

Hi Everyone -I have been a member since 2004 and never posted as never been brave enough!! But had to share my evening with you. I work at the library at the Chatham (medway) university campus. Firstly - I was lucky enough to experience Thundersnow!!! Was totally blown away by it - it caused a major power surge and the lights where on and off! The snow come down so fast, alot of my students have never seen snow - so what with them screaming and running around like headless chickens, light going on and off i have never experienced such extreme weather!

Glad to say i am home now (after dumping the car half way home) enjoying a glass of wine!

Hope every one enjoys the weather and thanks for keeping me up to date and entertained for the last 5 yrs!!

Welcome Thunderqueen, glad you got home o.k

Thundersnow is rare and wonderful, we had some in '04 the oddest thing I had ever seen.

I too am relaxing with a glass of wine, and watching to see what happens. It's very rare for the Meteo to put out a red warning I am interested to see what may happen.

My youngest daughter [17] had her first snowball fight in Feb and is hoping for another in the morning!

CJ.

Posted

AFT, the snow does look fairly wet but I was somewhat expecting that,the thames region does look a touch warmer then surrounding areas however that hopefully will be balanced out by the snowfall coming up.

The fact that the MO have issued a warning of 6 inches for S.Essex, N.Kent and London strongly hints that they are expecting a thames snow streamer setting up in the next hour or so. Front is weakening further inland, probably suggesting the forcing is shifting back to the north sea where weak contvection firing up, hopefully these will explode when they reach the thames.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Top photo that! :good:

Many thanks. :D They retail at £10.00 each and can be personalized for Christmas. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

lol snow has just arrived, anyone have any idea how much im likely to get?

Posted

AFT, the snow does look fairly wet but I was somewhat expecting that,the thames region does look a touch warmer then surrounding areas however that hopefully will be balanced out by the snowfall coming up.

The fact that the MO have issued a warning of 6 inches for S.Essex, N.Kent and London strongly hints that they are expecting a thames snow streamer setting up in the next hour or so. Front is weakening further inland, probably suggesting the forcing is shifting back to the north sea where weak contvection firing up, hopefully these will explode when they reach the thames.

is that 6 inches on top of what we've already got ???!!

Posted

Nothing to really to report hear in Northampton, still no sign of any snow. Looking at the radar I think we are just a little too north west of the main snow bands. If the winds change to a more easterly then I think we should get a bit.

Posted

ah but last time they issued the warning for Surrey and Hampshire - not so this time, so perhaps a slight different angle of tilt?

Still not too keen on the lack of snow here nevertheless...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Seems to have quitened down somewhat in here so hopefully some of you more experienced guys won't mind me posting the inevitable "will it snow" question!!!

Have had about 2 inches in the CM8 area of Essex this evening (which I'm very happy with) but have noticed several people saying that with the wind changing direction there could be more on the way. Just been out for a ciggy and can hear the tell tale dripping so just wondered if there would be anymore for me tonight?

Thanks in advance.

Good chance of some scattered snow showers drifting in off the N Sea through the morning for your area IMO.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Still snowing heavily in Brighton and some good accummulation. Quite gusty winds too, so starting to drift a bit

Posted

Check the radar. Def setting up a streamer for the Estuary...

Watch it build up to my ENE.

here

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Please i have to go to bed now hubby turning off lights can someone tell me if the thames streamer will be strong enough to give me some more snow

It might set-up, though think wind is a little to strong for it atm. Perhaps in a few hours when most of us are all asleep (apart from the diehards)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm a bit disapointed.. about 1cm of snow max here (around the Sunbury region) I was expecting a lot more, do you think I will get much more snow? because so far it has just been very light snow or flurries..nonono.gif

Posted

Awesome pictures, thanks. I absolutely believe I would have got that if the temps were colder [/not complaining]. That's proper snow! Maybe before the morning we'll get something like that stuff here too!

Im a little worried that its melting,but hey ho ,i cant save it,saying that i have still got a snow ball from last feb in me freezer,how sad is that :good::D

Posted

and back to snizzle :good:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Still snowing heavily in Brighton and some good accummulation. Quite gusty winds too, so starting to drift a bit

Longing Sigh! - lovely pic!

40 miles or so NE of you - I have nowt, after a sudden rapid melted dusting from earlier. Forecasters said that snow would be variable tonight and they were not wrong!

Enjoy it - you should get plenty more too by the looks of things!smile.gif

Posted

Winds do seem to be close to swinging ENE now in the eastern part of this region, very interesting to see what happens with it, hopefully convection builds up in the thames mouth and comes in, snowfall fairly light for now...