Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Its all kicking off now! Really heavy, big flakes, settling, everywhere turning white. Seems like the temperature has dropped. The snow is not wet anymore. If it continues like this till morning (and i dont know if it will) then we could see a lot piling up. But thats only if it continues as it is now. Is the Thames Streamer kicking in? That usually delivers very well for this area, eg - feb '09 and jan '03.

Edited by danm

Posted

Hi, only my 2nd day on this site and what a day its been. Mixed emotions from what I have read so far but here on the borders of nw london/herts it was quite a snow event this evening. No I dont mean to rub it in because Im well aware some of you have had little or nothing. I come in peace, and am trying to d/load some of the photos I took earlier. Please be patient if I get it wrong. Im not good with technology. Sensible advice welcome !!

BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

AFT, the snow does look fairly wet but I was somewhat expecting that,the thames region does look a touch warmer then surrounding areas however that hopefully will be balanced out by the snowfall coming up.

The fact that the MO have issued a warning of 6 inches for S.Essex, N.Kent and London strongly hints that they are expecting a thames snow streamer setting up in the next hour or so. Front is weakening further inland, probably suggesting the forcing is shifting back to the north sea where weak contvection firing up, hopefully these will explode when they reach the thames.

hi kold

im in the south west corner of essex will i get much from that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Have been back in Lee, London SE12 for about an hour and a half now after getting back from Anerley SE20. My journey coincided with the arrival of the 2nd band of snow that came in from Suffolk/Essex.

Its amazing how many times I've seen snow increase in the space of a few miles from Anerley to Bromley. In Anerley we had wet small flakes, on to Beckenham the snow got heavier with thicker flakes, then coming up to Bromley on the hill from Shortlands, pretty heavy blowing snow.

Locals probaly recognise that scenario, although it was probably coincidental this time with the arrival of that band of heavier snow.

Back in Lee SE12 snow has been pretty heavy at times since my arrival and the sky has that lovely orange glow. If an ENE streamer does set-up should do well here if Steve M. and Shooters Hill doesnt pinch it all.

Looks to be just over an inch on the patio table at the moment. Could well snow for quite a few hours yet with that sort of flow. Still think some of you in Kent that havnt seen much snow could still have a reasonable fall yet. That low near the Belgian coast should pull away S.W into France and therefore start to pull in some showers off the southern N.Sea.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Can anyone explain why the showers coming out of S Lincs/N Cambs and heading for Northants are losing their intensity as they head towards us but everywhere else they seem to be holding their intensity nicely as they move south and west. :wallbash:

Posted

Good news for fellow Herts members, the eastern line is slowly moving west now, could bring another spell of snow for a short while in 30 mins or so.

Also, keeps eyes on developments in the Thames Estuary over the next couple of hours (those who are nocturnal! :wallbash: )

Posted

AFT, the snow does look fairly wet but I was somewhat expecting that,the thames region does look a touch warmer then surrounding areas however that hopefully will be balanced out by the snowfall coming up.

The fact that the MO have issued a warning of 6 inches for S.Essex, N.Kent and London strongly hints that they are expecting a thames snow streamer setting up in the next hour or so. Front is weakening further inland, probably suggesting the forcing is shifting back to the north sea where weak contvection firing up, hopefully these will explode when they reach the thames.

Let's see if this stuff is any colder :wallbash:

I would have thought it was merely elevation - they say center of Chelmsford has 1.5 ins which is not far off what I show in my picture (1 ins?) - compared to 4 ins on the "hills", if Essex can be said to have those.

But... Bradwell and Southend have 3 inches? Doesn't make sense on my theory, unless they had even more PPN... and I had a lot. spectacular and scary with the wind for just a while

Side note - to the north of South Woodham is a hill, called radar hill. wonders if that has micro climate effect?

Posted

Good news for fellow Herts members, the eastern line is slowly moving west now, could bring another spell of snow for a short while in 30 mins or so.

Also, keeps eyes on developments in the Thames Estuary over the next couple of hours (those who are nocturnal! :wallbash: )

On lampost watch all night here at the mouth of the Thames. If there is any action, I shall be first to report...

Posted

The winds have already swung round to ENE here at Shoebury and off Kent, according to XC Weather (http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations). :wallbash:

Looking good for a streamer, but we need it to shift more to the east for us to get hit - otherwise it all slides by and pastes North Kent and London instead.

Posted

Dont despair those who are only seeing 1cm or nothing at all. GFS has progged a Thames Streamer event to last (at least) until 6am, if not longer, into the morning. Significant Accumulations will build up in the next couple of hours as the warmer sector of the Low begins to move out of the South and into the Channel.

Posted

I would have thought it was merely elevation - they say center of Chelmsford has 1.5 ins which is not far off what I show in my picture (1 ins?) - compared to 4 ins on the "hills", if Essex can be said to have those.

But... Bradwell and Southend have 3 inches? Doesn't make sense on my theory, unless they had even more PPN... and I had a lot. spectacular and scary with the wind for just a while

Side note - to the north of South Woodham is a hill, called radar hill. wonders if that has micro climate effect?

More like 2" in Southend AFT...

Posted

Also, keeps eyes on developments in the Thames Estuary over the next couple of hours (those who are nocturnal! :) )

Have decided to be "Nocturnal" for one night only. lol :wallbash:

Still snowing but light now. If a streamer does set up I usually get something from it.

Fingers x

Thankfully the lights have stopped flickering.

Correction- Heavy Snow again now.

Edited by cj114

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Its all kicking off now! Really heavy, big flakes, settling, everywhere turning white. Seems like the temperature has dropped. The snow is not wet anymore. If it continues like this till morning (and i dont know if it will) then we could see a lot piling up. But thats only if it continues as it is now. Is the Thames Streamer kicking in? That usually delivers very well for this area, eg - feb '09 and jan '03.

What part of north east london are you?

Posted

Im a little worried that its melting,but hey ho ,i cant save it,saying that i have still got a snow ball from last feb in me freezer,how sad is that :wallbash::)

It's melting for you. I think I must be being lucky. Admittedly the snow has eased here, but it's still steadily falling. There are also maybe as many as 3 inches in sheltered areas and on the windward side of the house the lawn has as many as 8 inches (Completely covered a low stone wall with a smooth layer of snow). We caught the inside edge of that band here I think, and having 145 metres of altitude helps. As this swings round though, I think we might get some really interesting flows off the northern estuary area coming down towards us. Speculation of course, but it is generally looking pretty good right now.

Posted

Let's hope so I thought we were right bang in the line, fingers crossed.

Posted

It might set-up, though think wind is a little to strong for it atm. Perhaps in a few hours when most of us are all asleep (apart from the diehards)

Diehards?,ive been watching every twist turn,upgrade, downgrade,euphoria,depression,for three weeks for this,its worse than waiting for Christmas,i aint going to fall asleep on it now lol,pro plus have been hatched,and sleep can wait till it rains next week :wallbash:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Sopping wet outside. At least no rain though - light snow still falling despite not settling. Ah well - c'est la vie

Those who have snow enjoy!

Posted

It has definitely gotten colder in the last hour. Before virtually nothing was settling, now all is settling and the snow is not wet. I really hope this continues. Looking at the radar, convection seems to be deveolping in the north sea and pushing westwards through the thames estuary. If it develops into a full blown streamer it would be fantastic. Any of the more informed members on here think this is happening?

Posted

Just a couple from me

post-24-12610971716721_thumb.jpg

post-24-12610971924987_thumb.jpg - Measured 2"

Thanks the the pictures. Not three inches. Actually doesn't look far off what we've had. I wouldn't now be surprised that away from the houses in South Woodham we have 2 ins. I just haven't looked there.

Nothing strange then, except that + heat of houses it is marginal event. Essex hills have got 4 ins while coasts and urban areas have got 1-2ins.

Posted

What part of north east london are you?

ilford, near gants hill.