Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

It's melting for you. I think I must be being lucky. Admittedly the snow has eased here, but it's still steadily falling. There are also maybe as many as 3 inches in sheltered areas and on the windward side of the house the lawn has as many as 8 inches (Completely covered a low stone wall with a smooth layer of snow). We caught the inside edge of that band here I think, and having 145 metres of altitude helps. As this swings round though, I think we might get some really interesting flows off the northern estuary area coming down towards us. Speculation of course, but it is generally looking pretty good right now.

Its still snowing a little and i am not sure it is melting,well not a any great rate,just that where its settled on cars its slid at funny angles,little tell tale signs that thawing is afoot :whistling:

Edited by TN9

Posted

Still snowing here with blizzard like conditions at times and accumulations are quite thick on the grass, but due to the drifting, not really settling on the patio. The snow is actually building up against some of my windows which is something I haven't seen for a good few years! Seems like a real old school snowfall tonight, a bit like Feb 09. Makes a change from the usual wet sludge affair we've all become used to during the last 15 years!

:whistling:

Posted

Okay, I think we can safely now conclude that melt/marginality is a feature of tonight's action which has nethertheless been exciting due to potency...

And, we can probably conclude that the marginality is due to the fact this has occured in December while SST of the North Sea is still 10-11C.

Let's knock a few degrees off of that and try again... in January or Feb.

Posted

Sky News has definitely been taken off air! It's showing a pre-recorded programme they always show when there's technical difficulties of some kind.

Thanks. Something weird did happen at 1am was a loud noise and period of darkness

Posted

Okay, I think we can safely now conclude that melt/marginality is a feature of tonight's action which has nethertheless been exciting due to potency...

And, we can probably conclude that the marginality is due to the fact this has occured in December while SST of the North Sea is still 10-11C.

Let's knock a few degrees off of that and try again... in January or Feb.

That's the spirit! It's early winter yet, hell it's not even been the shortest day, let alone Christmas! :whistling:

Posted

first real full snow shower just started in canterbury, none of the wintery mix rubbish!!!

and the rain from eariler has frozen so its settling even though its very light,

and convention is still building off the margate coast so maybe all not lost like i thought it was!!

Edited by Baynesey (snow chaser)

Posted

Sky tv working ok here but my dish is protected from the prevailing weather. After a respite from the earlier tonking the wind and snow are beginning to pick up here again.

I have heard and read a lot about the thames streamer effect, and Im thinking it might have played a part in the heavy snowfall of February, where I measured a level snow depth of over 15cms here, a long way in land, but right in the line of fire.

Posted

I can hear thunder to the N/NE of Chelmsford.

Three potent cells visible on radar to the North-East of Chelmsford now. Expect some very heavy snow within the next 15 mins!

Posted

I noticed on the BBC News Channel it looked like they were running on just back-up power, none of the blue-screen background (nor computer screen lights you often see behind the glass.) Simply a darkened studio with a dim light on the presenter. I thought it was just a late-night edition of the News, however if Sky News is also down then it explains why.

Posted

Just nipped out for a fag.

Overwhelming orange glow. So much so, I can see the end of my garden which is 90ft long.

Clouds overhead def moving along the Thames now E-W, maybe slightly ENE-WSW. And snowing again lightly...

Fingers crossed...

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

well i do feel a little silly that i was expecting everything to be burried like feb 09, mainly because i brought it up in every conversation today! Sounds like a non event for whole of london proper, certainly in my neck of the woods. Meto had code red for london, god bless 'em - they've taken it away now though. Pretty certain everything will be very wet and grey in the morning - better luck next time eh!

Posted

The wind is now due East at the Sandettie Light Vessel off the Kent coast and ENE in the Thames Estuary. Thames streamer come to daddy...pretty please? :whistling:

Posted

Meto Removed the Take Action Warnings now

Not much happening bar light snow showers in the Estuary so I am calling it a night, not the greatest Easterly blast but as AFT Says this is very early in the season and what with GP (Glacier Point) predicting more of the same or even worse/better depending on your outlook through January this could be a great little Winter 09/10

Paul S

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

first real full snow shower just started in canterbury, none of the wintery mix rubbish!!!

and the rain from eariler has frozen so its settling even though its very light,

and convention is still building off the margate coast so maybe all not lost like i thought it was!!

That is also a good signal for my way. Canterbury snow usually heads my way and a sign that the Kent streamer may also be working. SQ1 - take note my dear!good.gif

Posted

The wind is now due East at the Sandettie Light Vessel off the Kent coast and ENE in the Thames Estuary. Thames streamer come to daddy...pretty please? :whistling:

Keep an eye on that lampost!

You will see it first, then me about 2 mins later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

The wind is now due East at the Sandettie Light Vessel off the Kent coast and ENE in the Thames Estuary. Thames streamer come to daddy...pretty please? :unsure:

I don't know if that's good news or not?? It means I am going to have to stay up for at least another hour to see what happens!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

swf12pm.jpg

South Woodham Ferrers.

Sorry for poor quality of photo. As others in this area can confirm it was taken at 12am.

I find it hard to believe other areas had 3 inches... it's not that we didn't have plenty of PPN. I can't believe it must have been warmer here than even closer to the coast. All my hot air some will say... :unsure:

hi I'm in south woodham too! It's definitely warmed up a bit and I'm up near radar hill. I can hear too much melting dripping for my liking.