Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi Saint

Im in WGC. Do you think we have a chance of more snow today or over the weekend. Cheers

I'm not really sure, sorry.

I didn't realise there were snow showers around!:lol:

Sun-set around 15:50, so not many hours of sun light are left today, the sun will soon be hitting it's max temperature.

Edited by saint

Posted

Heavy snow now falling again.

post-1766-12611340667364_thumb.jpgpost-1766-12611340906524_thumb.jpg

Nice one Dave I would'nt be going out on that push bike if I were you. Do you think it is heading anywhere near Northampton I have to drive to London at 2pm.

Posted

Another inch, minimum, and as the day rolls on becoming limited to EA, Essex, and Kent.

Sounds good, it may be a couple of hours before the band affects Cambs etc, and the prospects of some more snow tomorrow night

Edit: TEITS I take it that you are now being affected by the band of showers?

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

My sons school has just said it is closing early as there is more snow on the way. Is this right? (I'm in Silver End, Essex just in case the locations are still missing) I thought we'd had our share..... although I won't turn down some more :lol:

Posted

My sons school has just said it is closing early as there is more snow on the way. Is this right? (I'm in Silver End, Essex just in case the locations are still missing) I thought we'd had our share..... although I won't turn down some more :lol:

Yes, more snow is on it's way.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

yay i found some snow! , in a graveyard lol

Posted

Yes, more snow is on it's way.

Thanks for the reply. My son will be pleased. It was tough getting a 6 year old boy to go to school this morning, so if there's going to be more later for him to play in I won't feel so guilty about practically dragging him here this morning!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hi all,

Looks like I haven't missed much in Norwich then! I'd have been pretty cheesed off if I'd been stuck in that little dry "sandwich" that, according to the radar, kept Norwich firmly within its grasp, while neighbouring areas got an absolute plastering with snow.

2cm up here in the Geordie heartlands of the North East, which by the looks of it is probably (at most) what UEA got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The band over Norfolk will be forced southwards soon enough as the upper winds start to turn northerly, so that will force it all southwards and back down EA, so more snowfall is present here, going to be very interesting to see how it all evolves.

Which upper wind vectors should we be watching? 850s or the 500s or both?

Hoping for a bit more (greedy) and the temperature's -3.2 ° C. We got more than I thought when I looked out this morning as I've measured and it's 3 1/2 inches. Is there any meteorological explanation for the 'corridor of death' my location was in for about 3 hours last night? Snow streaming down either side of a 15 mile gap.

Posted

YAY , lets hope it happens this time :lol:

Today:

Further snow showers at times, some heavy with further accumulations. Very cold with temperatures close to freezing for much of the day. Significant wind chill. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Tonight:

Further snow showers continue during the night, some heavy with further accumulations. The showers will become less frequent by the end of the night. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Staying cold but with decent spells of sunshine. Risk of an occasional shower on Sunday, and some more general snow on Monday. Hard overnight frosts.
Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Is there any meteorological explanation for the 'corridor of death' my location was in for about 3 hours last night? Snow streaming down either side of a 15 mile gap.

Likely to be orographic forcing (lay of the land influencing precipitation) or just sheer bad luck.

Posted

Hi Saint

Im in WGC. Do you think we have a chance of more snow today or over the weekend. Cheers

I'm in Ware - we've got about 10cm in places, our garden is sheltered but I've just been out on the field out the back and there's easily 4 inches there.

I reckon later today the band currently over Lincolnshire will move south, possibly bringing some more showers.

Saturday night is really interesting, although the GFS has the precip quite light, it under estimated the intensity of some of the showers last night, so anything is possible.

Next week on the latest GFS run is incredible, possibly more snow on Wednesday, which was previously appearing as rain. Still a long way to go, but definitely cold for a few more days yet!

Posted

I'm in Ware - we've got about 10cm in places, our garden is sheltered but I've just been out on the field out the back and there's easily 4 inches there.

I reckon later today the band currently over Lincolnshire will move south, possibly bringing some more showers.

Saturday night is really interesting, although the GFS has the precip quite light, it under estimated the intensity of some of the showers last night, so anything is possible.

Next week on the latest GFS run is incredible, possibly more snow on Wednesday, which was previously appearing as rain. Still a long way to go, but definitely cold for a few more days yet!

Last night Tommy you said yuo wouldn't see much more snow!!:p underestimated?

We got 5-6 inches here.

Hope we can get a bit more this evening, but im hoping the sun will go away soon!:D

Posted

Last night Tommy you said yuo wouldn't see much more snow!!:p underestimated?

We got 5-6 inches here.

Hope we can get a bit more this evening, but im hoping the sun will go away soon!:D

I blame the wind direction and strength for our garden being poorly covered; the field is north facing so there's some deep snow there. Also hoping for more snow later, it's currently -1.3c and that's not going up at all!

Posted

Thanks for the reply. My son will be pleased. It was tough getting a 6 year old boy to go to school this morning, so if there's going to be more later for him to play in I won't feel so guilty about practically dragging him here this morning!!

My kids school has been closed all day today and as i work at the school that gives me a extra day of the holidaysdrinks.gif

Posted

I blame the wind direction and strength for our garden being poorly covered; the field is north facing so there's some deep snow there. Also hoping for more snow later, it's currently -1.3c and that's not going up at all!

Yep, below freezing here at the moment, the sun is melting some snow though were it's been on it for a while.......

Posted

Sunny here in Lowestoft but we were going to pick something up from Lenwade, just outside of Norwich. We decided to call before setting off and it's blizzard conditions and settling there. ( 5 mins ago ). Amazing the difference in weather conditions 38 miles apart.

Posted

Hi all,

Looks like I haven't missed much in Norwich then! I'd have been pretty cheesed off if I'd been stuck in that little dry "sandwich" that, according to the radar, kept Norwich firmly within its grasp, while neighbouring areas got an absolute plastering with snow.

2cm up here in the Geordie heartlands of the North East, which by the looks of it is probably (at most) what UEA got.

3 inches down in Harleston, just shows the difference 20 miles made. Still -1.7 here, can't see it getting any warmer.

The question is, did good old John Snow get any :p

Edited by ribster

Posted

Lots of snow showers just off the dutch coast!

Posted

Saturday night still looking interesting down here, the front comes down overnight and looks pretty potent, so another 5-10cms looking more then likely...though there is a weak mild sector present looking at the temps and dew points but our location has a big advantage in that we will get a bit of eveing cooling before cloud builds up.

Posted

Hi all,

Well if you good look out my window now - it is making up for it today!

Just not sure how long it will last.................

Posted

Snow still coming down hard.

After a slow start last night must have around 4inches but difficult to tell due to the wind blowing the snow around last night.