Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Congrats Steve on your 6,000th post, just noticed it! :wallbash:

I wouldnt expect more than a couple of inches at most here, from tonights event but thats perfectly reasonable pre-xmas.

This certainly has to go down as a very decent spell for mid-Dec, I know not everyone has done well but for this area SE London/NW.Kent, I can only think of Dec 1981 to top it and I'm 54!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

What a great day out there. snow everywhere and -4c. Ice day here methinks with more snow later tonight. Gonna try and get out there and enjoy some walking into Reigate to get some last minute xmas shopping! . makes a change not having to do it in the pouring rain and mild muck. <_< :wallbash: I was half thinking of getting some old skis I have in the loft out but would probably break a leg as they have not been serviced for 5 years and will probably have seized up bindings . :cold:

Posted

What a great day out there. snow everywhere and -4c. Ice day here methinks with more snow later tonight. Gonna try and get out there and enjoy some walking into Reigate to get some last minute xmas shopping! . makes a change not having to do it in the pouring rain and mild muck. yahoo.gifdrinks.gif I was half thinking of getting some old skis I have in the loft out but would probably break a leg as they have not been serviced for 5 years and will probably have seized up bindings . crazy.gif

Get straight over to the Priory and attack Break Neck Hill......... It's the law :wallbash:

Posted

One of my colleagues from work went down Break Neck Hill before work yesterday...

:cray:

Roads are as icy as an icy thing in Reigate so if you are going out, be careful!

Posted

the morning after the day before, and what a day! more to come tonight so this could officially be the most snow iv ever remembered if it comes off. heres a few more pics. my cats first ever outing haha!

post-4276-12612139597458_thumb.jpg

post-4276-12612139745258_thumb.jpg

post-4276-12612139867958_thumb.jpg

post-4276-12612140020758_thumb.jpg

post-4276-12612140145658_thumb.jpg

Posted

There was snow there yesterday, from about 2 to 5pm but they have not really seen anything since. So I would say you are fine. The forecast for today looks ok for you. I am heading that way to go sledging with the kids and walking in the woods etc... near Ashford.

The place that will see a lot of snow and is seeing a lot of snow is the Isle of thanet that has a Kent Streamer and that is set to be with them all day, in fact they are getting pounded!

I wouldnt say we are getting pounded! we mave a very light covering at the mo and the snow is falling very light. is this going to change for the better?

Posted

Anyone get 20CM in the east of kent then? :cray:

It looks like most of the heavier snowfall missed East Kent as the wind went more Northerly than expected.

The Calais area caught a streamer and appears to have taken a pasting!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

Looking at the radar, it looks as though that blob (excuse my phrasing) is intensifying, looking to come in after 10am? Snowing steadily and moderately now in Eythorne.

Nope it's changed again, fragmenting?

Edited by jodaw84

Posted

Snowing heavyish in Dover again now with big fluffy flakes. Dover is now almost completely cut off... Jubilee way closed, M20/A20 not worth even trying... A2 don't bother. Trains delayed and the local buses are running a pretty limited service... not even trying the hills and not going to Whitfield as it's blocked off by lorries.then there's the port which is closed due to the situation in Calais and Operation Stack may be implemented.<br>

Edited by Updraft

Posted

Great pics! Cat looks bewildered! cold.gif

The radar shows a line of showers, but they might be clipping Dover then heading to France again!

yes, we could do with wind picking up and blowing it a bit more to the west. the expected radar images show the stream of showers for another good 90 minutes, after that the curl of cloud, as you say, seems to be moving more to calais

Posted

the expected radar images show the stream of showers for another good 90 minutes, after that the curl of cloud, as you say, seems to be moving more to calais

Someone told me on the news they reported the snow in Calais is a foot deep, is that so?. I wouldn't doubt it with most of the heavy showers that piled that way.

Posted

Someone told me on the news they reported the snow in Calais is a foot deep, is that so?. I wouldn't doubt it with most of the heavy showers that piled that way.

not sure, would have to check around to find out :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning all. Argh so we missed out again! :) Frustrating with 2 snow events forecast which didn't materialise or went to a different area. And the snow forecast for Sunday now looks set to be sleet on the coast again (according to BBC). Still, we got about 0.3cm last night of sugar icing dusting so it looks wintery out. :D Colder this morning too, my weather station says -0.4c outside with cloud cover :cold: that's pretty good, just need the precipitation!. And it has just started snowing again but only a flurry, so all eyes on that radar there's a line of showers coming in, we might get something this morning!. :)

another poor show in lyminge, dusting last night, now occasional flakes floating slowly down here in ct188hh

Posted

not sure, would have to check around to find out :)

there 100s of people stuck on the m20 because calais was closed because of the weather

Posted

another poor show in lyminge, dusting last night, now occasional flakes floating slowly down here in ct188hh

:cold: seems the line of showers are even more marginal then i thought. i would have sworn your area was getting snow according to this > http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=215&y=242

:)

Posted

10 minute shower in Norwich

BBC Weather graphic spot on at 0958

Edit - Back again visibility gone

Edited by hire17

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I'm still hanging on to my 1 to 2cms from early Fri morningbiggrin.gif There was a brief snow shower yesterday afternoon which sugar cubed the cleared surfaces again of cars etc - but nothing since then. A very hard frost this morning. I can tell, because my central heating packed up yesterday!oops.gifcold.gif

I think we have to make the most of some possible snow tonight, because it looks like that might be the end of it for a while down here. However, there is a hint that we might see a reload after a short time - so watch this space I guessdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Just looking further ahead for a bit...

Off to Bergen for the New Year so I keep an eye on the forecast...on this site I've seen a minimum temp forecast of 7C for next week :D

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Bergen/forecasts/latest

Does this indicate that our hopes down here might be dashed for a white Christmas, or can an Easterly keep it freezing here while up there it gets much milder?

Posted

I think we have to make the most of some possible snow tonight, because it looks like that might be the end of it for a while down here. However, there is a hint that we might see a reload after a short time - so watch this space I guessdrinks.gif

Morning Tamara.

I say isn't tonight wonderfully uncertain. I said to my mother this morning that we could see nothing more than a dusting or another 10cm. Following this cold front tonight should be rather exciting because of the uncertainity. The front looks like arriving in my area around midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Anyone get 20CM in the east of kent then? :D

Hi Neil, I will investigate and report back later, I have an idea that St Margarets Bay (top of cliffs) will have something approaching 15cms - Well done to them, :D though Im pretty chuffed too :D

Edit - last few flakes have stopped.

Edited by Whether Idle