• Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

snow not far from me now

hiradarzoomv4pl.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

snow not far from me now

hiradarzoomv4pl.png

I don't want to be a killjoy but i'll be surprised if it falls as snow for a start. The current temps in Glasgow are around 4c and dew point of 2c. It will not snow if it's that temperature when it hits you. That NetWeather precip type radar is not based on actual conditions or what is actually falling from the sky... It's based on what the charts say SHOULD be falling. It's not that accurate though.

Posted

I don't want to be a killjoy but i'll be surprised if it falls as snow for a start. The current temps in Glasgow are around 4c and dew point of 2c. It will not snow if it's that temperature when it hits you. That NetWeather precip type radar is not based on actual conditions or what is actually falling from the sky... It's based on what the charts say SHOULD be falling. It's not that accurate though.

i agree but i hope it pulls colder air in behind it it may start as sleety rain but hopefully will turn to snow

Aye, you're right, it's rain here. Will hopefully turn to snow later.

Posted

I do think it may start as wet snow/sleet in the city but I've been driving on the outskirts/to the north east of Glasgow and, albeit the car thermometre, but its about 2 degrees colder there so may start as snow a few miles outside.

We'll soon see.

Posted

Well i'm glad you lot didn't shoot me down this time :D

When I came in the Scottish thread back in the Feb snow event some of you called me a troll and said don't feed him and started saying "You are just jealous because we get more snow than you" :D

I think it might turn to snow on the back edge, but nothing sucks more than a band of precip started off as heavy rain and soaking everywhere before it turns to snow and can't settle :p

But you guys in West Scotland should see a decent amount of snow from snow showers during the next 2-3 days anyway so if this band doesen't deliver then don't worry :)

Posted

just back in from asda the car temp was showing 3c

Posted

Aye..i was just about to post the same myself..getting a bit worried as the temp is 3c and rising.

Spose ill find out in the next hour or so as it has clouded over really quickly.

Posted

just back in from asda the car temp was showing 3c

The dew point is crucial in situations like this too, if the dew is 0 or below while the ground temp is 3c then I would expect wet snow at the least. If the dew is 1-2c though it might be sleet. I think the temp will drop under the heavy PPN too so that might help.

Well i'm glad you lot didn't shoot me down this time :D

When I came in the Scottish thread back in the Feb snow event some of you called me a troll and said don't feed him and started saying "You are just jealous because we get more snow than you" :D

I think it might turn to snow on the back edge, but nothing sucks more than a band of precip started off as heavy rain and soaking everywhere before it turns to snow and can't settle :p

But you guys in West Scotland should see a decent amount of snow from snow showers during the next 2-3 days anyway so if this band doesen't deliver then don't worry :)

Perhaps if there wasn't a fairly good chance of snow tomorrow we might have ripped you up a little, in the nicest possible way :) :)

I also think that since we have been discussing the warm sector all week that we were all prepared for it to be rain. The warm sector has been mentioned for days and days now and it has been proved right.

Posted

The dew point is crucial in situations like this too, if the dew is 0 or below while the ground temp is 3c then I would expect wet snow at the least. If the dew is 1-2c though it might be sleet. I think the temp will drop under the heavy PPN too so that might help.

it stayed well below freezing all last night in outskirts of Glasgow so i am just a bit more hopeful of some white stuff but anyway i suppose to be going out for lunch this afternoon so i don't want too much just yet

you can clearly see a warm rain band on raintoday but it doesn't look to severe to be honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Started snowing here now. Hasn't skirted round yet like I thought it was going to do. :p

What about you Mondy? should be snowing around there now surely.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Perhaps if there wasn't a fairly good chance of snow tomorrow we might have ripped you up a little, in the nicest possible way :D:)

I also think that since we have been discussing the warm sector all week that we were all prepared for it to be rain. The warm sector has been mentioned for days and days now and it has been proved right.

:D I know, it's all cool with me. I don't mind friendly banter. It's just the serious lets try and abuse the poor Southerner kind of banter I don't like :p

That warm sector is an absolute pain in the a*se. Down here in the Central/East Midlands we are apperantly forecast sleet tonight by the BBC although I rarely watch the BBC Weather so I don't know if that is true. I have seen the models for myself though and while the mild sector does stretch across the Midlands for around 2 hours this evening I don't think it will make any difference.

The ground temp is forecast to be around 0-1c when the band arrives and even if the upper air is -2 or -3 I don't see why it won't fall as snow but we'll see I guess.

Posted

looking really dark further south west of me that's the rain band i think

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

did i here someone say we could see thunder snow over the next few days i have never seen it before

Posted

Bloody hell! near whiteout conditions here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Pavement-level snow and ice has all gone here in Leith in the last hour, quick warming. Sky looking very very dark towards Fife.

If we get any snow from this it should at least stick to the grassy areas. Not convinced it'll be anything other than cold, windy and sleety the next few hours, and unlikely to coat Embra/Leith in a decent white coat at city level. We'll know soon enough ! :drinks:

EDit: spots of RAIN hitting the window. Marginal marginal marginal....

Edited by by-tor

Posted

sky getting pretty dark not much longer now will it be sleet rain or snow

ps its raining lightly :drinks:

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

I think someone said we could :)

It's more like a blizzard out there :drinks:

Edit: I think you see what I see, Blitzen :o (Same town)

Hi there! don't think it will take long to pass through though. Quite a covering and if there are any showers to follow later on and then a freeze down tonight I'll be happy.

sky getting pretty dark not much longer now will it be sleet rain or snow

ps its raining lightly :drinks:

The first/main precip band is just starting to clear from here and it was rain all the way. Not a single bit of sleet, let alone any snow.