Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 3

M'Lady

Daytime temps will soon drop-off however, and with the "snow-field" effect, this will also help cool off any residual warm sector making its way North.

However, there is also a westerly fetch ahead of the fronts bringing air off the Irish sea.

Above 150-200 metres it should be snow, and lower ground away from coast has a chance too eg. east Lancashire, Manchester.

Elsewhere, rain sleet and wet snow - it's going to be one of them where maybe a cm or two of slush which then freezes solid and crunchy by morning, yuck.

Posted

Regardless what happens tonight, there is no need for disappointment as tomorrow is looking great across the region with several days of persistent cold to come!

The latest bbc24 forecast with Darren Bett looked great for the coming days and no mention of mild weather at all! And this is Darren Bett remember...

Karyo

Posted

Liverpool City centre now at 2.6C Rising

Dewpoint 0.4C Rising

For my area it's actually cooling down again with both the temp and dewpoints respectively.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Liverpool City centre now at 2.6C Rising

Dewpoint 0.4C Rising

For my area it's actually cooling down again with both the temp and dewpoints respectively.

Fascinating stuff, temps and dew points rising and falling. And all this before the main event arrives!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Regardless what happens tonight, there is no need for disappointment as tomorrow is looking great across the region with several days of persistent cold to come!

The latest bbc24 forecast with Darren Bett looked great for the coming days and no mention of mild weather at all! And this is Darren Bett remember...

Karyo

Yep just saw that. Had snow falling over the sea, let alone coast/inland. Even here I feel slightly hopeful. I will see snow even if it means going to Winter Hill or somewhere else inland. PS v much rain atm.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

What's the possibility of freezing rain?

The ground is frozen hard even though air temps may get above zero.

Snowing again here!

Karyo

Posted

Snow-showers lining up from the Mersey Estuary packing into the Peak District here. Just had a Convective shower appear out of nowhere in the space of 10 minutes. A great example of "lakes-effect" at work today as the warm moisture of the Estuary is firing off these showers down the Gap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Heavy snow now sticking on all surfaces

Hi SFZ - I'd give anyhting to be inland at the moment. Which bit of Preston are you in? Might go up to Beacon Fell if it keeps up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Am i far enough west to be affected by the warm sector?

Posted

Definitely a coastal thing going on, it's not really penetrating inland with massive temp rises. Not sure how far north these temps will rise, but I imagine Lancaster would be it's limit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

We've just had a very light rain shower, but it's not melted any snow that fell earlier. A sign of things to come...:(

Posted

Your are just to my south and it's unlikely we'll be affected by this warm sector arriving..however that being said as it gets dark so the temps will sink and as said before due to the amount of frozen surfaces i think it won't make much of a difference to us. From what I am seeing now the temp changes are only really occuring on the coasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I would say yes, but it would probably turn back to snow if it does turn to rain/sleet, just like whats happening in Scotland. Mind you if it does just turn out to be a bit of a damp squib you have tomorrow to look forward to.

Edited by James M

Posted

I would say yes, but it would probably turn back to snow if it does turn to rain/sleet, just like whats happening in Scotland. Mind you if it does just turn out to be a bit of a damp squib you have tomorrow to look forward to.

The temp changes only seem to be happening on the coast, inland and to my south temps and dewpoints are once again dropping..not that either the temp or dewpoints where anywhere near those recorded in the city or on the wirral

What's the possibility of freezing rain?

The ground is frozen hard even though air temps may get above zero.

Can't rule out some glazing but I'm not sure whether there will be a sufficient sub-zero temps below the melting layer to allow any supercooling of droplets, so the ice would be temporary.

Posted

Can't rule out some glazing but I'm not sure whether there will be a sufficient sub-zero temps below the melting layer to allow any supercooling of droplets, so the ice would be temporary.

my area -7.1C and the ground is still like a rock, I would imagine Runcorn a couple miles to my south would have also have seen this temps last night?

Posted with the smugness of a man who knows he's assured of snow :(