Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

We've all suffered dissapointment this weekend but what is happening on Crimbo Eve. Forecasts, BBC/Metoffice are saying heavy rain for alot of the country. It's been said on here that the West.Mids best chance of snow is in a breakdown situation. Well isn't that what this is? Warmer air from the SW hitting the cold with a band of rain turning to snow.

Is is going to snow/rain???

Are we in for more disappointment?

It's been widely known that the BBC/Metoffice plays down snow events until as late as possible.

Discuss

Posted

We've all suffered dissapointment this weekend but what is happening on Crimbo Eve. Forecasts, BBC/Metoffice are saying heavy rain for alot of the country. It's been said on here that the West.Mids best chance of snow is in a breakdown situation. Well isn't that what this is? Warmer air from the SW hitting the cold with a band of rain turning to snow.

It's been widely known that the BBC/Metoffice plays down snow events until as late as possible.

Discuss

i really wouldnt be getting too excited by that prospect, its an absolute minimal risk at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Discuss

I would take no notice of forecasts more than a day ahead at the moment. The models are all over the place, disagreeing with each other as early as 24 hours in some cases. Christmas might as well be in July with the uncertainty! I say it is still very much game on for a white Crimbo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

There will be more surprises yet I am sure, but also more disappointments. Ah well, still got our sprinkling here, it didn't melt yesterday.

Posted

There will be more surprises yet I am sure, but also more disappointments. Ah well, still got our sprinkling here, it didn't melt yesterday.

Same here, I have never known so little snow survive for so long, hasn't melted a bit! Imagine if we had a decent covering...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Well awoke to the most wintery view of the week this week, there is litterally the smallest dusting of snow on the ground, its pretty hard to notice it with the hard frost, but I witnessed it fall in the middle of the night while I was up changing my little one... But really its next to nothing....

Posted

I hate to say this but the METO upgraded their warning 20 minutes ago from 'be aware' to 'be prepared'. But I'm not holding my breath.

Rain and sleet will turn increasingly to snow as it spreads northwards across many southern and eastern parts of England during Monday afternoon and Monday night. There will be accumulations of 2 to 5 cm of fresh snow in many areas, with up to 10 cm likely in places, especially on higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1045 Mon 21 Dec

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/em_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Not convinced by the Met Office warning. After the debacle the other night I would take it with a lorry load of salt.

Posted

just on the edge of this one, knowing as soon as it touches the Gloucestershire border it will go directly east, it looks quite intense areas such as oxford could do well from this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

new weather warning by the metoffice smile.gif

LOL!! Typical Nottinghamshire is not included in that!!! rolleyes.gif

Still buzzing from our 1/2" of snow from yesterday though

Posted

LOL!! Typical Nottinghamshire is not included in that!!! rolleyes.gif

Still buzzing from our 1/2" of snow from yesterday though

Us in Leicester missed out on that yesterday by about a mile or 2 so its our go haha!

Posted

We're going to lose our sunshine :cold: Big wall of cloud heading my way now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Us in Leicester missed out on that yesterday by about a mile or 2 so its our go haha!

I know, I felt dead bad for you guys down there. You said you could actually see the snow falling in the distance! Deffo your turn now!!! acute.gif

Posted

I have never seen such disagreement in all the models at such a reliable timeframe.

Look at the GFS and compare it to the current radar... that band in the south is 8 hours ahead of schedule!cc_confused.gif

Posted

Not convinced by the Met Office warning. After the debacle the other night I would take it with a lorry load of salt.

it always makes me laugh when people say take it with a big pinch of salt, shouldnt it be a smaller amount rather than bigger amount, surely a lorry load of salt means believe it?! anyway, looks like the curse of the west midlands is striking again tonight, with the wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow detouring around the region. surprise surprise!

Posted

it always makes me laugh when people say take it with a big pinch of salt, shouldnt it be a smaller amount rather than bigger amount, surely a lorry load of salt means believe it?! anyway, looks like the curse of the west midlands is striking again tonight, with the wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow detouring around the region. surprise surprise!

I don't know actually :drinks:

Posted

That band of precip on it's way up is really starting to look very intense.shok.gif

I'll not be shocked to see the ''be prepared''move to take action.ohmy.gif

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

I've got my eye on it - it seems to be more westerly than anticipated?

Posted

That band of precip on it's way up is really starting to look very intense.shok.gif

I'll not be shocked to see the ''be prepared''move to take action.ohmy.gif

I think the only thing preventing that is the fact that quite of a lot of it will be rain. Only the leading edge will be primarily snow.

Posted

You could be in the firing line soon. (serendipity)

I think the only thing preventing that is the fact that quite of a lot of it will be rain. Only the leading edge will be primarily snow.

time will tell.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Well here we go again, fingers crossed again. Though to be honest I've been really enjoying the sunny and frost. Took the dog out this morning and it was perfect. The low sun making the frosty surface sparkle, the trees with frost on them against a perfect blue sky.

As we have had only a sprinkle that looks like icing sugar, it would be nice to have enough for a snowball fight. Just praying that if we do get some, the roads are clear Christmas morning or my poor mum will be spending christmas day alone and I'll be eating toast for christmas dinner lol.