Cold?
IGNORED

January CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I don't think the big freeze is going to last, slightly above average for me

4.2c

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

8C

Posted

3.6 i fi os gwelwch yn dda/For me Please

Posted

Provisionally, 3.5c. Very cold and wintry into the first week with widespread snow. Milder the middle two weeks with a more zonal flow becoming established (could get a spell of proper cold zonality with this) The final week probably turning blocked to the east again with bitterly cold easterly winds and more snow (this *could* be quite a severe spell. Not 1987 preportions, but 1991 maybe?)

Edited by Gavin P

Looking like the cold block may set itself up for some further cold down the line but can't say it's going to be as severe as what we've had.

3.3c.

As the days grow longer the cold gets deeper!

Posted

Ok in light with mike meehans word of reason I'm going to revise my forecast.

1st-7th Starting of very cold with easterly winds. These will turn northerly later on in this period and fall lighter with any further snow confined to Scotland. This period will continue very cold.

CET for period 1/4 -2.3c

8th-14th Continuing very cold high pressure tending to build from the west. This will mean an inversion high will take hold and so very cold nights will dominate but with less cold days. Low pressure starts to drive southwards on the eastern side of the high.

CET for period 2/4 -1.0c

15th-21st A cold northerly as the low pressure gets pushed over the eastern side of the UK and undercuts the high pressure developing a freshening easterly flow. Cold at first trending very cold later on

CET for period 3/4 0.3c

22nd-31st

Very cold at first with easterly winds falling light. Briefly another inversion high but with pressure rising over SW Europe winds will trend more westerly/SWerly and it will start to turn more unsettled and as a result milder. North westerly winds finishing off

CET for period 4/4 3.7c

Overall CET 0.2c.

Posted

Well December ended up being a lot colder then I expected thanks to the PV splitting.

Signs that this is about to happen again and if it does then its fair to say another 10-15 day cold spell should develop...right now I think a cold, rather then very cold set-up will develop from this but either way I suspect the first 10 days are going to come in quite decently below normal.

After that and ust about anything could happen, if we keep a split PV then a severe month (below 1.5C) becomes possible, if not then 1-2C milder then that.

For now I'll go for the middle ground and say 2.6C...but this is a rather low confidence call I have to admit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I might change mine & go lower, but will wait until next week.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'll go with 1.1C for now.

Posted

18z has the CEt at 0.5C by the 9th of January, mainly thanks to the inversion high at the end as the northerly is actually rather poor in terms of temps progged, though in truth its obviously not going to have a good grip on that in FI.

IF that was to come true we'd already be needing the remainder of the month to come in at nearly 6C to get above average!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

The last time we had 5 consecutive below average winter months was December 1990 through to January 1992. Will it happen again following January 2010? I think so. As such, I'm going for:

3.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

2.0c will do for me...

-3.1C. I think it may rival Jan 1795 closedeyes.gif.

Love the thought, but it just can't happen, Gordon wouldn't let it!! rofl.gif