Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January CET

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

One or both of these remaining criteria may well fall once the adjusted figures are released at month end - certainly Manley has one of those very cold days around or just colder than -5.0, and 4 out of 5 days were below -2.0, with the middle day being -1.7 and therefore well witin scope of being adjusted to meet criteria.

We could well get that -4.0C day and three consecutive days with an average of -2.0C or below when the adjustments come in at the end of the month. The fact its even a possibility shows what a potent spell it was.

Indeed - I have a feeling the three days at or below -2.0 may be cracked. Less optimistic about the -5.0 - the provisional Hadley figure for the 7th is -3.9....that would be a big adjustment, though -4.0 is quite likely.

And so it turns out (finally!). So two "proper cold winter" CET mean measures achieved (7 days at or below zero, which we managed twice, and 3 days at or below -2)....but one (a single day at or below -5) still narrowly eluding us. Twenty-three years and counting.....

Edited by osmposm

Posted

O'r diwedd! clap.gif

1st-10th January 2010 has been lowered to -1.9C, which beats 1894 (-1.8C) but not 1893 (-2.0C). This makes the first ten days of January 2010 the 8th coldest in 239 years of daily CET records.

The month overall ranks 64th coldest (along with January 1744) out of 352.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Mean Max 3.7c (-2.7c) Joint 15th with 1985 coldest on record

Mean Min -0.9c (-2.1c) 15th coldest on record

Mean 1.4c Joint 65th coldest on record.

Oh so very close to my monthly mean statistics:

Station location - Lat: 52.18Deg N Long: 1.12Deg W Elev: 119m.

Jan 2010

Mean Max: 3.8C

Mean Min: -0.9C

Mean Temp: 1.4C

Month Max: 8.6C (18th)

Month Min: -7.7C (7th)

Month Low Max: -0.3C (9th)

Month High Min: 4.6C (22nd)

Monthly Precipitation: 38.8mm

Max Precipitation: 12.19mm (22nd)

17 air frosts observed in Jan. And 1 Ice day with a number of close calls.

...Perhaps, next time, i'll release the CET figures bang on time so the met-office can't keep us waiting laugh.gif

Edited by Supercell

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Actually the delay does suggest they may not be looking at warm months quite so closely. Either that or the last two cold months had bad data that needed be looking in. If feb goes the same way and a similar delay then March is mild and comes out straight away it would be a little fishy but only a little.

Posted

Actually the delay does suggest they may not be looking at warm months quite so closely. Either that or the last two cold months had bad data that needed be looking in. If feb goes the same way and a similar delay then March is mild and comes out straight away it would be a little fishy but only a little.

If indeed this is the case, do you think it would be because there is much more likely to be media scrutiny of any data which is notably far from the norm? For example, if a month comes in a few degrees off average there isn't likely to be the same level of interest as there is when a month is the coldest for over 20 years - so they see the need to check the data more thoroughly to ensure that if there is any criticism they can justify the results?

If so, presumably the same would apply to an unusually warm month, but I've not been on here long enough to know how long it normally takes for considerably above average months to be finalised?

Posted

As always, thanks for that, J1, though I've only just got around to looking at it.

Hell's Bells - currently lying a scintillating 52nd. I think that's the lowest position I've ever been at....and February's not looking too promising either.

I feel like a synoptic modelling program with a default warming bias that has been tested and found sadly wanting! :cc_confused:

Posted

Yeah I'm not doing too well at the moment, can't believe my 2.6C was way too high, mind you I think I've gone for 2.6C again this month which may well be quite a bit closer to the money after adjustments...just hope the mild weather holds off long enough!

Posted

I suspect you may be rather closer than my +4.4C guess, Kold!