Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Acc to nw radar, there should be some fairly hefty shower activity over me in the next 20/25 mins. Wind def shifted to a w'ly direction now. hopefully some decent showers should start developing.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

The blob directly to the west of Southport does appear to be intensifying.

Current temp -1.4c and still dropping.

Edit: By My calculations it should reach me in around 2.5-3hrs

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Acc to nw radar, there should be some fairly hefty shower activity over me in the next 20/25 mins. Wind def shifted to a w'ly direction now. hopefully some decent showers should start developing.

Yes, you'll definately get something very soon!

Karyo

Posted

possibility of a change of streamer location, less so in Lancashire, more so over Merseyside down A580/M62 possibily?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Yes, you'll definately get something very soon!

Karyo

Cheers K, I'm off to do some lampost watching. Still can't believe I can look out the window and see frozen snow/frost and await some more flakes coming from the west 3 days before Christmas, and here of all places!

Night all, and good luck!

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Well, it seems to have died out a bit on Netw radar compared to say 10 minutes ago

Posted

There is a surprising shift in the wind direction here -it is coming from the east!

It's also gone a bit misty.

Daz are you referring to the Liverpool shower or the line further northwest?

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

There is a surprising shift in the wind direction here -it is coming from the east!

It's also gone a bit misty.

Daz are you referring to the Liverpool shower or the line further northwest?

Karyo

Sorry Kary, I meant the one over Liverpool now, the streamer seems like it's still going strong, moving more ENE rather than NE.

EDIT: Blackpool is getting it now

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted

Sorry Kary, I meant the one over Liverpool now, the streamer seems like it's still going strong, moving more ENE rather than NE.

EDIT: Blackpool is getting it now

Ok, I think Southport and Preston willalso be affected in the next couple of hours!

Anyway, too tired now.

Goodnight and fingers crossed for a bit more activity tomorrow!

Karyo

Posted

This line making the most of 240 kj of CAPE avaliable, L.I. of -1.5. Wind Vectors take this over the NW Coast out towards Manchester, Lancs and Cumbria.

Posted

Last post from me tonight.

Current temp -1.7c so still dropping even with a few clouds overhead.

By my reconing prec should give something for all of lancs / some of mside and wirral / possibly gr manc.

Goodnight all.

Posted

Last post from me as well, currently here at Norbreck, -0.3c, intermittent snow showers, snowing at the moment, about 2inch in the past hour, and by the looks of radar more on the way, good night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling down to Colne (Trawden) in Lancashire tomorrow, its not far from Burnley, anyone know what the conditions are like down there at the moment. Judging by some pics I've seen which were taken not far from that area I'd imagine there must be some snow there. Anyone know what conditions are like currently ?

Posted

Seems a patch of cloud heading NE is scuppering Buxton's chance of getting further minima temps for the time being, however further North here in Whaley Bridge away from the overhead Cirrus temps are still -9.9'c (dropping further) on the official Weather Site.

http://whaleyweather.co.uk/

Posted

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling down to Colne (Trawden) in Lancashire tomorrow, its not far from Burnley, anyone know what the conditions are like down there at the moment. Judging by some pics I've seen which were taken not far from that area I'd imagine there must be some snow there. Anyone know what conditions are like currently ?

The conditions are very bad north of colne with between 7 to 10 inches of lying snow.Rumours around here that the salt has nearly run out.Minor roads impassable,but i',m not sure about colne itself.Some places have been dumped on while other nearby have got away with 3 to 4 inches.

I hope this helps.

I think the Lambcam is situated quite near to colne to give you an idea of the local weather condtions, snow falling as i post.

http://www.lambwatch.co.uk/

Edited by Chrissy

Posted

yahoo.gifGood God!

Got up and looked out to see another dumping of snow!

Cleared car and it's around 3 inches or so. Not seen anything like this up this way for a long long time (mind you I only been here 6 years)

Another interesting drive over to Manchester - wish me luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Morning Peeps.

Came out of work with the boys for last ciggie break at 04.15 and it was atleast -5 and cloudy .. that orangy snow look. Finished work at 05.50 am and it we got a short sharp snow shower that left a covering but temp swiftly rose to 1.6c .... massive jump is such a short time .. sky looks very orangy still indeed but dry atm. rolleyes.gif

Sorry the temp is actually -1.6 lol .. doesnt feel that cold though after the quick snow shower smile.gif

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Morning all, great to see more snowfall for you guys. Here in the South of the region there is nada of course :lol: It's rather nippy this morning though, currently at -5. I actually woke up last night shaking and shivering I was so cold, had to go and get a blanket to go on top of the duvet! Have to say, as wonderful as this seasonal weather is, I'm really feeling for the older generation right now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

NICE we got a few streamers setting up lol . one for the north part heading into cumbria and another thats wider heading towards oldham from the irish sea both of which are West to EAST. The southern one also flirts with Merseyside, and lancashire :lol:... Looking good this morning. Lets see if the southern region can get a days worth of streamers and to hell with METO for now warnings apart from the ice !.

Morning all, great to see more snowfall for you guys. Here in the South of the region there is nada of course smile.gif It's rather nippy this morning though, currently at -5. I actually woke up last night shaking and shivering I was so cold, had to go and get a blanket to go on top of the duvet! Have to say, as wonderful as this seasonal weather is, I'm really feeling for the older generation right now...

Awww feel sorry for you down there and missing out. You should move north east its far better up here, youd love it ! and your right last night the cold seemed penetrate more.

Posted

We've had another inch over night, and it looks like there is another block of showers heading this way on the radar. Fingers crossed!

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

We have had about 1 inch of fresh snow and its falling as light snow on and off fingers crossed for a good fall today.drinks.gif

Posted

Made it..

At least the roads had been gritted (mostly!)

Congrats to us N/Westerners who have had some more - commiserations to those left out. Your time will come, plenty of Winter left :lol:

Posted

Snowing again here and showers are beefing up good on the cost and heading our way !. Today is going to be a good day for sure.. more snow, the GFS and ensembles looking good for prolonged cold ( not checked other models yet) but get used to this weather NWerners it might just be here for a while !