Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

:lol: I'm the only one who is having light rain! But only noticed it because I popped out the door, it's drizzle because the PPN is not heavy enough.......

Light rain here too (not drizzle) but not always bad news over the last few days. It has turned in to 4 day's of snow events. Just watch now. too late for forecasting. I've seen everything since last Thursday and mostly it has turned to laying snow or sub zero temps

Posted

Can anyone explain why its still snowing in Peterborough when according to the radar there hasn't been any precip around for the past 30mins. Am I using a dodgy radar (see below). I would be grateful if someone with NW Radar could explain.

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=212&y=215

Posted

Looking at the latest radar i agree with Nick F here, we can see that wave developing to wards the sw near the Channel Islands, at the same time the precip is moving ne and intensifying,also theres some much milder air near the south coast, Shoreham is actually milder than the Scilly Isles at present, perhaps a bit more energy thrown into the front as this hits the milder air near the south coast. The big question if you live in the London area is how far north this developing precip gets before heading se'wards.

Posted

Local radio drivetime which was meant to end at 7pm is still on! They are very concerned about people stuck in some huge qeues around Beds/Herts and Bucks....... A lot of traffic at 11pm!

Posted

Can anyone explain why its still snowing in Peterborough when according to the radar there hasn't been any precip around for the past 30mins. Am I using a dodgy radar (see below). I would be grateful if someone with NW Radar could explain.

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=212&y=215

Same here Dave. NW radar shows nothing over my area but in fact it's still snowing, albeit very lightly.

Posted

Local radio drivetime which was meant to end at 7pm is still on! They are very concerned about people stuck in some huge qeues around Beds/Herts and Bucks....... A lot of traffic at 11pm!

Hey Saint,

I'm watching that big chunk of PPN over Hampshire. If that continues it's NNE/NE track and heads for us and then maybe fortunately it will be over us as the band pivots in which case it will stick with us for some time :lol: :lol: :drinks: :huh:

Posted

Croydon Borough Council have been advised by the MetO to expect up to 10cm anytime from midnight. Let's see what materialises.

Really? No mention on the beeb forecasts. I dont see how we're going to get any more than 1 cm let alone 10!

Posted

Hey Saint,

I'm watching that big chunk of PPN over Hampshire. If that continues it's NNE/NE track and heads for us and then maybe fortunately it will be over us as the band pivots in which case it will stick with us for some time :lol: :lol: :drinks: :huh:

You know what, I have no idea!!!!!!:huh: :lol:

It would be great if that happens, hoepfully it falls as snow!:lol:

Posted

A good sign further east is if we see reports of any snow coming in from Hants way, perhaps Southampton could act as a good marker here but how this precip holds up is uncertain.

Posted

You know what, I have no idea!!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Neither do I but it sounds good ;)

:rofl:

Posted

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=212&y=215

i use meteox too Dave and find the same problem with any PPN. i think it may have something to do with heights and resolution not sure though :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

massive downgrade going by this BBC forecast, gonna be nowt tonight :rofl:

Posted

Looking at the latest radar i agree with Nick F here, we can see that wave developing to wards the sw near the Channel Islands, at the same time the precip is moving ne and intensifying,also theres some much milder air near the south coast, Shoreham is actually milder than the Scilly Isles at present, perhaps a bit more energy thrown into the front as this hits the milder air near the south coast. The big question if you live in the London area is how far north this developing precip gets before heading se'wards.

Hi Nick,

Only joined today but i've been lurking everytime there is anything severe forcast!

I'm thinking this being the cold front and with the english channel giving some lake effect we really could see another very heavy dumping. I've often read about this period that it really is a nowcast and i think something is happening down there!

Posted

As i type this Louise on BBcN24 has just said the BeeB forecast has bee "pretty much spot-on" :rofl:

That's got to be the best joke I've heard recently

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted

If you need reports in southampton, you could try using the M27 webcams I find them useful, Seems like rain at the moment, still unsure.

http://www.trafficengland.com/trafficcamera.aspx?cameraUri=http://public.hanet.org.uk/cctvpublicaccess/html/19156.html

Posted

You know what, I have no idea!!!!!!:rofl: :lol:

Been v.light drizzle/sleet here for the last hour or two.

Now moderate snow again adding to the 5 - 6 inches we had earlier.

(I'm about 5 mls south of Reading/ 5 miles north of Basingstoke).

I'll nudge it your way Saint.

Posted

OK I have been at work all evening and don't have time to read through all of your fantastic posts - could someone give me a quick summary as to which counties saw snow and how much? Thanks in advance smile.gif

heavy in SE London, about 3 inches fell in 30-45 minutes. got into work in whitehall and less snow fell but still a covering in trafalgar square. maybe no more than an inch. just been outside and temps are up and snow now slushy. if we dont see anymore overnight than the hazard will be the drop in temps and the slush freezing over :rofl: travel wil be a complete 'mare tomorrow morning if temps drop.