Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Washed away? It shows sleet over Reading but heavy snow is falling there! Also it's snowing near Southampton.

Ok, the radar might be a bit crappy then. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I just think a lot of places will see rain, sleet or wet snow which will only speed up the thaw, as opposed to snow that settles on top of what people already have. I'm entirely happy to be proved wrong though!

Posted

Itd be cold enough North of London, but to the South it'd be falling as Freezing Rain. Basically as the surface is frozen, as the rain makes contact with it it'll instantly freeze over. The reason why most (if not all) of the Roads in the south right now have Ice forming/formed on them.

The streamer giving this precip will last well into the early hours until the Frontal System moves out further into the North Sea.

Posted

Clearly see everything moving E now if you look at the sat pic.

Im rather doubtful the area of snow around Reading will make much progress northwards and will ever so slowly move E during the night. So parts of West, central, south London are at risk but Im rather doubtful N London, Herts will see this. This area of snow is definately being fuelled by the relatively warmer English Channel.

Also im hearing reports of Heavy snow in Lincoln. So other areas are at risk if more snowfall develops as the cold front moves E.

Posted

Isolated then because it in't snowing in Slough!

You must be a bit too far East at the mo.

But it really is still snowing here in North Hampshire ...it's the only reason I'm still up at nearly midnight.

Posted

wow.. its starting snowing AGAIN , heavily in basingstoke.

methinks the odds on a white christmas have been shortened somewhat. i cant see this amount melting over the next few days.

Posted

Clearly see everything moving E now if you look at the sat pic.

Im rather doubtful the area of snow around Reading will make much progress northwards and will ever so slowly move E during the night. So parts of West, central, south London are at risk but Im rather doubtful N London, Herts will see this. This area of snow is definately being fuelled by the relatively warmer English Channel.

Also im hearing reports of Heavy snow in Lincoln. So other areas are at risk if more snowfall develops as the cold front moves E.

Like that forecast. I am 35 miles to the west of reading in Ealing , west London. We deserve a dump as east London got the best fall on Thursday while we only scraped an inch

Posted

Moderate snow here in Chesham, hasn't really stopped since this afternoon, temp has been exactly 0c for hours

Posted

110m above sea level here in stevenage and its been sleety Rain for a few hours now! would very much doubt any measureable snow to fall now except the tops of the chiltens IMO. Hate to sound like a mild ramper but just been looking at the charts for Weds night and it looks like rain for almost the whole region.

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Still snowing here just up the hill from Amersham in Bucks . It was light till a short while ago however its getting heavier again now. Will be interesting to see how much accumulates by the morning as its been snowing here since early afternoon.

Posted

Isolated then because it in't snowing in Slough!

Oh yeah because it isn't snowing in 'Slough' it can't possibly be snowing elsewhere?

Excuse me, but don't call me stupid.

You want stupid people? Go and knock on the windows of cars out there on the roads. How many days of this cold weather have we had? How much snow has been dumping down on top of us? How many bloody times do these people need to be told not to go out on the road? I think you'll find it called ignorance. Okay, be ignorant - but don't start crying like a little child when your crap little car gets stuck in the middle of nowhere.

If people venture out in this weather, then they accept the risks. You wanna start prattling on about little old frail people and children? Bless um. Did you see the state of the pavements this morning? I did - they were attrocious, so if any old little biddy can get about on that, then they're more then capable of doing a trek in the snow.

No sympathy at all for them. They knew the risks, took it, and now pay for it.

I find myself agreeing...but for those coming home from work then it's not their fault. But for those that go out just for the sake of driving in it, can't say I find much remorse for them.

Ignorance is the capital of SE England!

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

You must be a bit too far East at the mo.

But it really is still snowing here in North Hampshire ...it's the only reason I'm still up at nearly midnight.

So it should be heading this way? I can see the snow on traffic cams over in Reading. It's heading South though isn't it and I'm East..

Posted

Nothing here at the moment. Still misty and murky with a slushy covering from the earlier sleet and snow. Not expecting much overnight.

Posted

Just back from a walk round the fields with the dog - still snowing but can't believe how light it is for midnight out there, absolutely beautiful with visibility almost like daylight.

Posted

I hate people who do not want to accept the consequences of their own stupidity - ALWAYS trying to palm it off as being someone elses' fault. No - it's your fault, because you took the decision to go out in it.

Maybe to work?

Also this wasn't predicted very well acctually I thought, some may not have known it.......And I don't think people are palming it off to other people?? But the highways groups should make sure roads are ok?

Edited by saint

Guest archiesmummy

is everyone getting tired?biggrin.gif bit stressed, over excited because of the snow?

well get some sleep, dont forget there is only 4 more sleeps til Santa comes!!!!!!! lol

and will it snow in essex!

Posted

I hate people who do not want to accept the consequences of their own stupidity - ALWAYS trying to palm it off as being someone elses' fault. No - it's your fault, because you took the decision to go out in it.

the utter lack of gritters in basingstoke was a big part of it. and the sheer amount of snowfall in a very short time. which prevented the gritters from going out.

i dont blame folks - this really is a weird event. its not their fault.

Posted

Got some rather surprising heavy snow for a time this afternoon here, the cooling from the precip even allowed it to settle which is quite surprising really. Temps still wrong side of 0C and the snow is very slushy indeed thanks to the rain earlier today.

Ice could well be a big issue over the early morning hours.

Posted

Just back from a walk round the fields with the dog - still snowing but can't believe how light it is for midnight out there, absolutely beautiful with visibility almost like daylight.

Yeah ebcause of the street lamps/car lights/ (and Christmas lights!) reflecting of the snow back into the cloudy sky.

Posted

is everyone getting tired?biggrin.gif bit stressed, over excited because of the snow?

well get some sleep, dont forget there is only 4 more sleeps til Santa comes!!!!!!! lol

and will it snow in essex!

Thanks mum I'm off to bed now.

I'm quite excited about Santa because I've been a very good boy this year!