Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted

I'm disgusted that the UK Met Office as failed yet again to issue any advisories or flash warnings with regard to Widespread Icy Conditions they also failed to warn of snow in my location only a few days ago. What do they ACTUALLY spend our money on ?

So according to Meto Scotland will be above freezing tonight and there is a none existent possibility of -16C or less for temperatures in some area's of Scotland. :):)

I was in Falkirk this evening and most of the roads that I drove on still had slush all over them and very slippery.

Cheers Meto :)

Sorry Mods but its an absolute disgrace !

How about this chart from the 18z GFS for a reversal of the usual problem with getting snowfall (which would be a warm sector messing things up).

Here is the 18z GFS forecast for Xmas Day 18z, and there is actually a cold sector ahead of the precip. I know it's just the pub run and we shouldn't pay too much attention to it, but this is quite a reversal of what we normally see on the charts.

Look for the finger of -5C 850 temps sitting from the NW to SE just at the far fringes of the western Scottish mainland:

All just a bit of fun, but that is a sight for my eyes which are used to the reverse of this with warm sectors of -3C 850s spoiling it.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm disgusted that the UK Met Office as failed yet again to issue any advisories or flash warnings with regard to Widespread Icy Conditions they also failed to warn of snow in my location only a few days ago. What do they ACTUALLY spend our money on ?

So according to Meto Scotland will be above freezing tonight and there is a none existent possibility of -16C or less for temperatures in some area's of Scotland. :D:D

I was in Falkirk this evening and most of the roads that I drove on still had slush all over them and very slippery.

Cheers Meto :D

Sorry Mods but its an absolute disgrace !

Once this cold spell is over, a dedicated "Met O are a disgrace" thread should commence..I'll happily start it :D

Indeed, take notes. All will be posted.

Once this cold spell is over, a dedicated "Met O are a disgrace" thread should commence..I'll happily start it :D

Indeed, take notes. All will be posted.

A starter: 34 hours of severe weather warnings for my area forecasting an 80% chance of heavy snow and we've now got 2cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Interesting midnight report from Glasgow airport of snow shower at -5c.

Backed up by a couple of small but bright radar echo's to the south of Paisley and Glasgow. Unexpected.

Anyway, carry on !

Edited by by-tor

Interesting midnight report from Glasgow airport of snow shower at -5c.

Backed up by a couple of small but bright radar echo's to the south of Paisley and Glasgow. Unexpected.

Anyway, carry on !

It must just be the freezing fog getting picked up by the radar as it is some of the thickest fog I have ever seen, and I am only 7 miles from the airport (can hear the planes taking off if the wind is right, or light).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A starter: 34 hours of severe weather warnings for my area forecasting an 80% chance of heavy snow and we've now got 2cm.

Ok, a 5 hours of warnings for 1-2 inches of snow with falls totalling about a foot over 6 days!

I think perhaps I wrote off the band to our south too soon...

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Ok, a 5 hours of warnings for 1-2 inches of snow with falls totalling about a foot over 6 days!

:drinks:

You stole my snow!!! Grrrrr.

Oooops, sorry, I meant BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Are you watching the band of precip (front) moving up through England?? I think it will pivot up over the east of Scotland, but more snow is on the way. SE Scotland is going to get a few flakes certainly.

Posted

So can someone clarify for me please...... has this cold spell to continue for the next couple of days and then warm up or could we be expecting it to last longer ?????

It just seems strange that any time i've seen snow it has lasted no longer than 5 days or so, and there is already about 8" lying here, with tommorrow being the 8th day of lying snow and there is still talk of more snow and more freezing temps, dry.gifblink.gifcold.gifshok.gifohmy.gifwacko.gif , im only 20 and have heard my dads stories of winters from the 70s/80s of really cold spells lasting a month at a time and it would be great to see it happen before this global warming kicks in.

Hopefully more snow on the way and it's a cool minus7 here just now cool.gif

Posted

I'm sure your right CMD. I suppose I expected the radar to tell fog and precip apart but I'm sure snow-like grains can come out of heavy freezing fog.

It must just be the freezing fog getting picked up by the radar as it is some of the thickest fog I have ever seen, and I am only 7 miles from the airport (can hear the planes taking off if the wind is right, or light).

So can someone clarify for me please...... has this cold spell to continue for the next couple of days and then warm up or could we be expecting it to last longer ?????

The worst forecast is for rain and 4C briefly on Boxing Day and then a return to some frost so if you have 8" of snow then that might get melted down to just the 6" of snow. Don't panic spud_nick89. :drinks::) :)

I'm sure your right CMD. I suppose I expected the radar to tell fog and precip apart but I'm sure snow-like grains can come out of heavy freezing fog.

I think it is drifting freezing fog which by its nature may appear on radar as if it is snow showers moving about. We have gone from some of the thickest fog I have seen here 20 mins ago to just normal bog standard 150m visibility fog at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

rofl.gif

You stole my snow!!! Grrrrr.

Oooops, sorry, I meant BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Are you watching the band of precip (front) moving up through England?? I think it will pivot up over the east of Scotland, but more snow is on the way. SE Scotland is going to get a few flakes certainly.

Yeah, I'm still a little unsure about that band, as the NMM showed the eastern flank of the band tailing off at around 4am towards Denmark, due to another low to the east of us. It's really on a knife-edge, very hard to call, and this is one situation that I would understand the met office getting wrong, at least at this range. Temperatures now on the rise again anyway, up to -6.2C from -6.5C. Tulloch Bridge now -15.2C -anyone think it'll get much lower than that?

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

They changed the report to freezing fog, so yeah, case closed !

The worst forecast is for rain and 4C briefly on Boxing Day and then a return to some frost so if you have 8" of snow then that might get melted down to just the 6" of snow. Don't panic spud_nick89. :drinks::) :)

I think it is drifting freezing fog which by its nature may appear on radar as if it is snow showers moving about. We have gone from some of the thickest fog I have seen here 20 mins ago to just normal bog standard 150m visibility fog at the moment.

Posted

Just in the from the pub which was at sea level in Glasgow and still heavy snowcover there. IMO this cold spell has been a once in a decade event if not more in my lifetime (im 22) I can only remember one such sustained cold spell (December 2000) where snow has lasted so long and temps been so low for such a period of time.

Also coming upto xmas I cant recall having 15cm+ of snow lying before xmas day which now means I will wake up on xmas day with a white xmas which is very rare. Been an exceptional cold spell and I dont think some folk realise the significance of this cold spell and fair play people like CMD have been incredibly unlucky in terms of snowfall (20 miles east mate and you would have hit the jackpot) but most of us have been very lucky in terms of snowfall :drinks:

Been a member of this forum for years and this has been the most prominent cold spell its sheer length has been immense I am used to seeing a day of snow then all melted the next day. Today was a magical snow day with not a bit of thaw and that IMO is what seperates this cold spell from most. Neways signing off and I wish everyone a merry xmas and hopefully more snow in the new year :) all the best

Scott Anthony

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

i think you may get that band moving over here.....reports of snow flakes like the palm of your hands i kid you not!!!

Been an exceptional cold spell and I dont think some folk realise the significance of this cold spell and fair play people like CMD have been incredibly unlucky in terms of snowfall (20 miles east mate and you would have hit the jackpot) but most of us have been very lucky in terms of snowfall :)

If I had been either 10 miles north or south I would have been pasted :lol:

In terms of best cold spells, 95/96 is the best I remember but then I'm an old fuddy at 31!!

However, this cold spell could actually beat everything I remember, I am not going to let lack of snow fudge my objective judgment too much. After all, once you've got a covering is there any difference between that and 6 inches??? Not only that, but the models do seem to suggest there is a chance of an ongoing winter spell. It is still only just Christmas Eve and look at us!! Snowed in. Iced in. Fogged up. Frozen country. Santa is going to have one hell of a sleigh ride tomorrow night.

I hope he has stocked up on de-icer. :) :wub: :):):):):cold:

Posted

i think you may get that band moving over here.....reports of snow flakes like the palm of your hands i kid you not!!!

Wow, is any of it heading for Carlisle? My aunt and uncle are staying over there en route to here.

Posted

Couldn't help myself, went to the NorthEast England thread... Theres not surprisingly been - and is currently - some snow activity from the band. Some debate as to whether its thinning a little and slowing down. Or not. Worth keeping an eye on anyway...

Yeah, I'm still a little unsure about that band, as the NMM showed the eastern flank of the band tailing off at around 4am towards Denmark, due to another low to the east of us. It's really on a knife-edge, very hard to call, and this is one situation that I would understand the met office getting wrong, at least at this range. Temperatures now on the rise again anyway, up to -6.2C from -6.5C. Tulloch Bridge now -15.2C -anyone think it'll get much lower than that?

LS

Posted

If I had been either 10 miles north or south I would have been pasted :lol:

In terms of best cold spells, 95/96 is the best I remember but then I'm an old fuddy at 31!!

However, this cold spell could actually beat everything I remember, I am not going to let lack of snow fudge my objective judgment too much. After all, once you've got a covering is there any difference between that and 6 inches??? Not only that, but the models do seem to suggest there is a chance of an ongoing winter spell. It is still only just Christmas Eve and look at us!! Snowed in. Iced in. Fogged up. Frozen country. Santa is going to have one hell of a sleigh ride tomorrow night.

I hope he has stocked up on de-icer. :) :wub: :):):):):cold:

I actually recall 1995 that was a mega xmas from what I remember I think what we need is a potent north westerly or cold westerly ha march 2006 all over again :):)

Couldn't help myself, went to the NorthEast England thread... Theres not surprisingly been - and is currently - some snow activity from the band. Some debate as to whether its thinning a little and slowing down. Or not. Worth keeping an eye on anyway...

I'm off to bed now, but will no doubt be radar watching by 6.30am when my youngest son (18months old) starts shouting "DADADADADA" from his bed. I think by then the precip will be over the borders, but how intense and at what angle??? Another fun day of weather watching awaits :wub: :cold: :lol: :) :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well! As i awoke on this fine Christmas Eve I discovered that it was -8.8 DP-11

No fog as yet.Expecting some later on,temps not forecast to go above -3 all day :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS :whistling: