Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted

lol ok heavier now big flakes:D

my apologies.. yes it seems so :)

it's still breaking quite quickly but is showing the coast more and more marginal, we lost out on our ice day just before midnight @ 0.4C not that should really matter right now, sky real orange for another half hour maybe?

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

I cant believe i am still up watching that damn radar. lol A hot cuppy tea and a bit of clootie dumpling. yum.

Posted

I'm not expecting anything here really, The Met Office are basically having none of it as far as the snow getting this far south.

Are you sure Sawel?

post-1217-12615273226313_thumb.png

That advance area of ppn has developed ahead of the main band as it heads south and east in the last hour :)

Posted

Well well well, what do we have here..........

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/ta_forecast_warnings.html

Are you sure Sawel?

That advance area of ppn has developed ahead of the main band as it heads south and east in the last hour :yahoo:

Well I'm certainly sure now after that weather warning. :)

Posted

Hey Sawel, been on and off that site for the past 2 hrs waiting for some sort of warning.

It will hit me first (hopefully). Other half lives up new estate of Forfar Aberdeen road. He has to drive to Aberdeen for work in the morning, not looking good.

Edited by amanda_langlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Are you sure Sawel?

That advance area of ppn has developed ahead of the main band as it heads south and east in the last hour biggrin.gif

Lookin' good, Shuggee, lookin' good. If the main band of precipitation strengthens like that, then we're looking at quite a snowstorm overnight!

LS

Hey Sawel, been on and off that site for the past 2 hrs waiting for some sort of warning.

And still no warning here?? Is it going to suddenly peter out as it hits the Tay??

Posted

Hi Amanda, I wasn't really expecting anything because the UKMO 12z charts and forecasts on the Met Office website just showed it being dry here...

If we get a decent fall then it will be well done to the GFS.

Posted

They showed it dry for here today but we had a good 2 inches. Dont trust them at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

think the snows getting more wet if u no what i mean unsure.gif

Currently -4C here so I think we might be ok.

Posted

going by the met office in dyce its just above which is a little futher inland so must be a little higher where i am

Edited by leeabz

Posted

They showed it dry for here today but we had a good 2 inches. Dont trust them at all.

Yes you're right there, I think the lesson is to never take their forecasts as gospel. We've had a few surprises since last thursday and have had snow lying on the ground for almost 6 days now...

A couple more inches tonight would be more than welcome!

Perth in for a blast of snow anyone? Im not tht good at reading the radar, what does everyone think , will we get alot or will it miss us completely?

Help lol

Jamie

Perth is included in the weather warning issued by the Met Office that also includes Dundee and Angus county.

Posted

Perth in for a blast of snow anyone? Im not tht good at reading the radar, what does everyone think , will we get alot or will it miss us completely?

Help lol

Jamie

You definitely have a chance of a few inches - in fact there is a weather warning out for you (though not for here, despite being about 5 miles away!).

Posted

Was just heading to bed there and thought I would have a wee look at the precipitation charts stunning:O if that snow makes its way down here and brings another 5-7cm theres going to be some seriously impressive falls down here

Infact I am going for 30cm plus in certain regions with altitude 200m+ and I think I could have 20-25cm easily will take pictures in morning sensational stuff Cheers

Scott

also -8 here

Posted

Dalwhinnie recorded the lowest minimum of -15.7c and lowest maximum of -8.4c in the 24 hours up to 9pm on 22/12/09.

Just looked at the Met Office radar and that band of precipitation is very close now.....

Posted

Was just heading to bed there and thought I would have a wee look at the precipitation charts stunning:O if that snow makes its way down here and brings another 5-7cm theres going to be some seriously impressive falls down here

Infact I am going for 30cm plus in certain regions with altitude 200m+ and I think I could have 20-25cm easily will take pictures in morning sensational stuff Cheers

Scott

also -8 here

Yeah..i was just off to bed myself then and thought id have a quick gander at the charts.

I like the look of the precip the way its pivoting round on sat24..looks as though it could come this far south as well.

Good few hours away though yet.

Posted

Yeah..i was just off to bed myself then and thought id have a quick gander at the charts.

I like the look of the precip the way its pivoting round on sat24..looks as though it could come this far south as well.

Good few hours away though yet.

good bit of snow already eh :)could be even more if this dumps a few more cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I think the snow is just about to hit Skifreak...a band of heavy snow just pushing down the moray Firth (and intensifying), currently passing Avoch and Fortrose!