Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted

Can confirm we are sitting at +0.5c and snow very soft with some massive snow slides off the farmhouse roof a good alarm clock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I wonder if the country will get that cooling effect today same as yesterday once the daylight comes. First time ever I have seen temps drop so severly during the day.

I reckon it might, as the only thing keeping temperatures up was the cloud, so with enhanced snowfall and clear skies, I think temperatures are likely to be lower again in the day than at night. Anyway, the met office have finally issued a warning for Fife, despite it being for less than has actually fallen so far, and they never even mentioned the snow on the forecast! It really worries me how inattentive they've been in this spell, and moreso, how the standard of forecast has differed between the southeast and here. I know we often get hung up about lack of media coverage with a snow event, but this isn't really about that - if people in Fife and Angus had gone to bed last night having seen only the met office forecast, they would've gone to bed expecting a dry night but woken up to four inches of snow with more to come! I do also wonder if the gritters in the south at least were caught unawares by the spell because of the met office seasonal forecast (milder winter etc.).

Enjoy the snow everyone (except possibly Duncan, who I will have to post 6 or 7 kgs of snow to now!)

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Well looks like 6 cm was a good call from me *ahem*

To be fair tho the band is now heading in a different directing than what even the GFS was suggesting on the 12 z

Stirling or Perth or somewhere there abouts could be stuck under that tail for a few hours. I'm supposed to be going to Stirling later...

Posted

I reckon it might, as the only thing keeping temperatures up was the cloud, so with enhanced snowfall and clear skies, I think temperatures are likely to be lower again in the day than at night.

THat line of snow just to our west..........think it will pull out to the sea right oveer us for on more dumping(not being gready)???yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

ok perth had maybe an inch overnight , but i was looking at radar and noticed its still extended up towards inverness/aviemore area , Anyone think this will hit us as it moves down or will it be a tad to NW moving?

Help lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Cant tell yet if the current "L" shape of this cloud and snow is stil moving southwards and westwards ... whether it will split ... move east ... or just fizzle out. We took the hit from the bottm of "the L" but what happens now ? All bets are off !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

The met office are making this up as they go along. No good for a layman. I went to bed at 10.30 with no warnings for Fife, I get up at 7am with 3 inches of fresh snow and a weather warning for heavy snow, which has already past.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/ta_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire don't have warnings, and where is it currently snowing?!

Also anyone seen the GFS 00z ensembles this morning? Looking good.

Posted

Cant tell yet if the current "L" shape of this cloud and snow is stil moving southwards and westwards ... whether it will split ... move east ... or just fizzle out. We took the hit from the bottm of "the L" but what happens now ? All bets are off !

IT should pull east in the North Sea following the low.

Posted

Don't want to be too hard on the metoffice but what the hell I will.

If they spent less time hand-wringing on global warming and hundreds of millions of quid on global warming forecast models ...

.. and spent more time and attention on local forecasting, looking out of the window and using their own radar ...

then they'd be doing a damn sight better job.

The current UK-wide snow lets them off the hook. In terms of local forecasting in Scotland though this past week they've been downright shabby on many days and in many parts of the country.

The met office are making this up as they go along. No good for a layman. I went to bed at 10.30 with no warnings for Fife, I get up at 7am with 3 inches of fresh snow and a weather warning for heavy snow, which has already past.

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=1

Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire don't have warnings, and where is it currently snowing?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=1

They are most definitely not too shabby, particularly around hogmanay, when the mean is -8C! Remembering that even -3C uppers can produce snow, as has been shown overnight and on the 12th March 2006, especially if the cold air is already in place and the 500-1000 thicknesses are below 528dam.

edit: beeb Scotland forecast totally different to the nationwide one - Liam Dutton seems to think that the area from edinburgh to angus is called 'the northern half of Scotland'! His map also had no snow while Carol's at least acknowledged some snow showers.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

I reckon it might, as the only thing keeping temperatures up was the cloud, so with enhanced snowfall and clear skies, I think temperatures are likely to be lower again in the day than at night. Anyway, the met office have finally issued a warning for Fife, despite it being for less than has actually fallen so far, and they never even mentioned the snow on the forecast! It really worries me how inattentive they've been in this spell, and moreso, how the standard of forecast has differed between the southeast and here. I know we often get hung up about lack of media coverage with a snow event, but this isn't really about that - if people in Fife and Angus had gone to bed last night having seen only the met office forecast, they would've gone to bed expecting a dry night but woken up to four inches of snow with more to come! I do also wonder if the gritters in the south at least were caught unawares by the spell because of the met office seasonal forecast (milder winter etc.).

Enjoy the snow everyone (except possibly Duncan, who I will have to post 6 or 7 kgs of snow to now!)

LS

Agreed. The MO forcast is poor. AS I said earlier, we knew it was likely outcome by lunchtime yesterday. Still no mention in todays forcast, and the band to the west will probaly cross Angus / Fife again in transit the North Sea. That wil delver another " or so

Posted

Agreed. The MO forcast is poor. AS I said earlier, we knew it was likely outcome by lunchtime yesterday. Still no mention in todays forcast, and the band to the west will probaly cross Angus / Fife again in transit the North Sea. That wil delver another " or so

We did, in fact I recall discussing it with Mondy as early as Monday night, when it still looked like something to watch. That band of showers hasn't weakened significantly, so I reckon an inch from it would not be unreasonable. By the way, I'm fairly certain this is the snowiest December in my memory at least, possibly the snowiest since the famous '81 spell, though I believe '95 was cold, with the UK minimum temperature record equalled (in an era modern year no less). It is probably the snowiest here since February-March 2005, and before then I have no real memory of snowfalls other than the new years of 2000/01 and 03/04. The cold looks set to continue, at least across the north of Scotland, with the threat of more snow on Boxing Day even. All that's left now is for my aunt to struggle up from the midlands and we'll be all set for Christmas.

LS

Posted

Seems to be 0+, 1 or 2 degrees in most of the air behind the "L" just now ... seems to have displaced the frigid local cold pool that we had up until end of yesterday.

Not concerned. Snow cover at ground level is extensive and the low ground temperatures will hold onto anything thats lying currently. We can afford a bit of wobbling around the 0 mark I think.

Posted

Morning! Iooks as if that "pasting" was a bit of a "damp squib" for us. whistling.gif

Looks like your temp is slowly dropping again.

WE have around 4"of snow. I cant think of the last time that snow lay for week here

Posted

Wow, nice morning for it :whistling:

My man just left for work assuring me he will be fine. Lets hope so! Brilliant of the meto to only give us warnings when most of us are in bed! Im taking it from reading previous posts we are to get more?

Posted

The band is moving back to the east but is breaking up. Still will deliver some additional snow yahoo.gifdrinks.gifyahoo.gifclap.gif

Posted

Just checked traffic cam for my man and there is a lorry stuck in snow at admirality in fife. One HUGE tailback

I am not sure if its snowing or if wind is blowing snow around thats already fallen lol, sky is pretty white though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

The band is moving back to the east but is breaking up. Still will deliver some additional snow yahoo.gifdrinks.gifyahoo.gifclap.gif

Snowing again in Perth now. Only about 2cm overnight. Temp 0.7C, Dew Point 0.4C