Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

A lot of people keep harping back to the Feb event - I think Reading copt that this time yesterday. A front coming up from the south west and hitting the cold air.

I would love another Feb event but with much colder temps during the day to stop the slow thaw and slushy horrid stuff.

hmmm febuary......

post-8911-12615963640913_thumb.jpg

Didn't seem slushy to me whistling.gif I don't think i will ever see 2 feet of level snow laying in the fields around me again shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

hmmm febuary......

post-8911-12615963640913_thumb.jpg

Didn't seem slushy to me whistling.gif I don't think i will ever see 2 feet of level snow laying in the fields around me again shok.gif

LOL that pic is about the size of China! Good times. Only 4 inches in Cheltenham though.

Posted

LOL that pic is about the size of China! Good times. Only 4 inches in Cheltenham though.

oops your right im not sure why it did that. cc_confused.gif

Posted

looks like I got more than you this Feb

This was taken on Feb09 on Crickley Hill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

We had snow this afternoon, but was quite wet and is now freezing,

Posted

just waiting for this lump of precip to reach cirencestert (im just to the south) - the roads are glistening out there - could be interesting!

looks like it'll just skirt south - interesting though as surface winds are SE'ly, and shower movement southwesterly ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Apparently people have been 'rescued' around Stroud this evening!! I'm curious really if that's from the Chavs or the Hippies? No disrespect but even if there was a very temporary whiteout earlier up on the commons anyone needing rescuing, presumably from vehicles, shouldn't be driving anyway!We have become soft it seems in the last 20 years- if there is nasty ice or devilish snow check your forecasts (even the BBC) and stay at home! Have some vino and put the heating up....

Thank you Dogs32 - I saw him too. He has a cold heart apparently.

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Apparently people have been 'rescued' around Stroud this evening!! I'm curious really if that's from the Chavs or the Hippies? No disrespect but even if there was a very temporary whiteout earlier up on the commons anyone needing rescuing, presumably from vehicles, shouldn't be driving anyway!We have become soft it seems in the last 20 years- if there is nasty ice or devilish snow check your forecasts (even the BBC) and stay at home! Have some vino and put the heating up....

Thank you Dogs32 - I saw him too. He has a cold heart apparently.

Looking at the amount of traffic coming past Rodborough fort it was bad, I did see the A419 had been closed at Cowcombe Hill due to ice, as I type I can see a gritter going down the hill.

Posted

Looking at the amount of traffic coming past Rodborough fort it was bad, I did see the A419 had been closed at Cowcombe Hill due to ice, as I type I can see a gritter going down the hill.

Ok my apologies if there have been any accidents or casualties - perhaps we have all forgotten what it's like when it's bad in winter. I have myself said it's unusual weather for recent years, and I was a child last time it happened for me.

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

Well i don't know if anywhere further north has had the same today, but i've never seen such bad ice in all my life as this morning.

We had some sleet/freezing rain first thing this morning and temps were just above freezing point so it just turned everything into ice almost instantly.

When i got to Newton Abbot everywhere was coated in a thick glaze of ice absolute nightmere, it was like walking on shiny, slippery glass but at the same time just increadible, i've never seen such thick ice nor seen it so widespread, I dont have any pics unfortunatly to busy trying to stand on two feet lol.

Id almost say it was a freak event.

Edited by Devon-Nelly

Posted

Well i don't know if anywhere further north has had the same today, but i've never seen such bad ice in all my life as this morning.

We had some sleet/freezing rain first thing this morning and temps were just above freezing point so it just turned everything into ice almost instantly.

When i got to Newton Abbot everywhere was coated in a thick glaze of ice absolute nightmere, it was like walking on shiny, slippery glass but at the same time just increadible, i've never seen such thick ice nor seen it so widespread, I dont have any pics unfortunatly to busy trying to stand on two feet lol.

Id almost say it was a freak event.

What you've experienced today represents an unusual event, especially given your location, for the last15-20 years. Here in Glos the same can be said to be honest. I do remember similar when I was 18, 15 years ago, when trying to do a walk home from the pub on a saturday night - stayed at a friends house!! Even then it was considered unsual compared to the previous 5-10 years. A lot of discussion has been had regarding sun activity (sun spots I think) and so called 'global warming' in this country and the world, most of which is beyond my simplisitic intellect, but reading between the lines there is a suggestion that these activities have lead to hot summers/mild winters from the late 80's to the early/mid 2000's (whatever they're called), and the reduction in these activities is now resulting to a 'normal' with regards to our living memories.

Hopefully more to come, for me it's like being a kid again!!

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

There is a good resevoir of cold in the ground so although the air temperature here is 1.2C the ground is still frozen and recent rain has turned to ice. Just gritted here so should be OK in the morning on the main roads.

Posted

I'm staying at a friends in bath ATM; tried walking up the hill to his flat and when I stopped and stood still I started sliding backwards lol. The walls of houses and gardens have a 1cm layer of ice coating them. It's rediculously icy out there.

Posted

I'm staying at a friends in bath ATM; tried walking up the hill to his flat and when I stopped and stood still I started sliding backwards lol. The walls of houses and gardens have a 1cm layer of ice coating them. It's rediculously icy out there.

As I said earlier, this type of event used to be quite common in the 1960's and 70's where I grew up in the North Coswolds with everything coated in ice and the trees creaking and groaning under the weight and crackling in the wind. Also quite lethal when it started to melt. But I've not seen anything like this for many. many years so something may well be happening to our climate. unknw.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

A very light dusting of snow last night, totally unexpected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

A little snow here overnight to, and then another harsh frost. All good fun!

Anyway, wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Have a good one!

Matt

Posted

No fresh snow in the night here but i do still have full snowcover although alot of ice now.

temperature 0.1c and getting cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We had a little a bit more snow overnight too though probably not even a centimetre but all white again on the roof of houses, cars and the grass. The roads are just icy and very slippery.

Posted

Well local forecast says a thaw setting in of what little snow people have left. aggressive.gif

I don't see much of a thaw today here to be honest. It would be nice to see some more snow to top it up soon though before it all goes. air_kiss.gif

Posted

It must have rained in the night as this morning is even worse! Temp is 2c but there is thick

white ice on the roads and pavements and even the grass is slippery!

I've got to go out in it to get my Turkey for Xmas as the shop closes soon!

What a dilema!

Posted

Very Very icy this morning, we have a mix of ice from the rain yesterday on the frozen ground, bits of ice that didnt melt yesterday, frost and a frozen dusting of hail from yesterday evening as well. Probably even more icy than recently here too. The road is covered in an inch of frozen slush ans ice in places. Apparently the fields are like a sheet of glass too.

Not as cold as recent nights though, min -2.5c now 0.5c.