Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

BBC still saying that South Wales won't get anything, despite this quote from the Wales thread from somebody in that area - "the largest flakes I have ever seen". They are 100m up and 6 miles from the coast :drinks:

If I see no snow from this I give up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Thicker cloud rolling in now, temperature just dipped below freezing, dew point heading for -2c. Let's hope that doesn't change too much. Some heavy stuff heading straight for me though. Would expect some warnings to be put out for this part of the world soon I would have thought.

Yes, Just below Zero here too, dew point negative and snow reported in places thought as unfavourable for snow today... Surely we should see the white stuff here, and be warned about it may i add?! :drinks:

Edited by MrDiamondDust

Posted

Temps now dropping even further. At 15.00 its now -3C with dewpoints also at -3C.

just add that temps in Holbeach (just to the NE of Peterborough) are now -5C!!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Temps now dropping even further. At 15.00 its now -3C with dewpoints also at -3C.

Do you reckon that's helped by your snowcover? Makes an incredible amount of difference to temperatures.

Posted

I have no proof but i'm sure it is colder today than yesterday, i've just been sticking christmas lights up and nothing has thawed today, i can see the cloud in the west starting to role in..........please, just some snow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

BBC still saying that South Wales won't get anything, despite this quote from the Wales thread from somebody in that area - "the largest flakes I have ever seen". They are 100m up and 6 miles from the coast :drinks:

hey remember me.. from heath hayes!! i been reading your negative messages for a few days now and i feel the same.. but maybe a turn of luck for us tonight? you think elevation will play part?

Posted

hey remember me.. from heath hayes!! i been reading your negative messages for a few days now and i feel the same.. but maybe a turn of luck for us tonight? you think elevation will play part?

Hello there! Well after the lack of anything decent I think I have a right to be negative :crazy:

Elevation will play a massive part tonight, parts of Heath Hayes are pretty high up, with Wimblebury scraping 200m, so you are in quite a favourable position. Either way, it's going to be very close indeed. Will either be a lot of rain or a lot of snow!

Posted

In the west mids anything is possible .... soooo many times i have watched radar images and the precipitation either breaks in two and goes either side

of us or dies before it gets here :crazy::crazy: .

Nick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Looking at the MO Radar, the band of precip is really organising itself into quite an organised front, its not as scattered as it was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well with the snow on the ground and the grey skies it looks like its going to snow. It is chilly out there. Hopefully yhe temps can drop a little as dusk begins to fall.

Posted

Do you reckon that's helped by your snowcover? Makes an incredible amount of difference to temperatures.

Certainly is a factor. However I cannot explain why Holbeach was at -3C at 14.30 has dropped to -5C at 15.00. This doesn't make any sense to me!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Hello there! Well after the lack of anything decent I think I have a right to be negative :crazy:

Elevation will play a massive part tonight, parts of Heath Hayes are pretty high up, with Wimblebury scraping 200m, so you are in quite a favourable position. Either way, it's going to be very close indeed. Will either be a lot of rain or a lot of snow!

haha i agree its been so frustrating these last few days especially sunday with those snow showers drifting north of us and been able to see it happen!

i live rite by five ways skool if you no where that is!! it is quite high round here!! so my cofidence is growing will could see a nice covering of snow :crazy:

Posted

Certainly is a factor. However I cannot explain why Holbeach was at -3C at 14.30 has dropped to -5C at 15.00. This doesn't make any sense to me!

If it wasn't for the incoming cloud you could have had a very cold night by the sounds of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What has happened in South Wales is definately encouraging as it was not predicted down there!

Lets see what happens over the next couple of hours as its still borderline but its colder than what i expected today. :crazy:

Dont get your hopes up just yet!

Posted

haha i agree its been so frustrating these last few days especially sunday with those snow showers drifting north of us and been able to see it happen!

i live rite by five ways skool if you no where that is!! it is quite high round here!! so my cofidence is growing will could see a nice covering of snow :crazy:

Yeah I know where that is, you are high up so you are in a prime position, good luck!

If I don't get anything I am only a short bike ride away from high ground anyway :crazy:

Posted

Well with the snow on the ground and the grey skies it looks like its going to snow. It is chilly out there. Hopefully yhe temps can drop a little as dusk begins to fall.

just started rainin in snowless coventry,,,

Posted

Yeah I know where that is, you are high up so you are in a prime position, good luck!

If I don't get anything I am only a short bike ride away from high ground anyway :crazy:

yeah just bike it up wimblebury and there should be snow... but you only about a mile away anyway so if i get snow you should too! good luck nervously watching those skys ha :crazy:

Posted

Any ppn there is very light so not surprised by that. Heavier ppn would bring more sleet/snow down perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Is it just rain? what temps have you got?

Good luck hope it turns to heavey snow soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

What has happened in South Wales is definately encouraging as it was not predicted down there!

Lets see what happens over the next couple of hours as its still borderline but its colder than what i expected today. smile.gif

Dont get your hopes up just yet!

You need organised PPN that comes up from the south and it isnt happening yet

The more organised PPN seems to be further West going up Wales ??

Posted

Temperature now 0.1c, dew point -1.7c and they have both been stuck there for some time.

Posted

Temperature now 0.1c, dew point -1.7c and they have both been stuck there for some time.

To keep you guys uptodate with the situ down here.

The rain has just turned back to snow, here in North BTL. Bit of a surprise this. You guys could be in for some snowaction later. This cold spell is really being a stubborn old so-and-so!

Posted

The rain has just turned back to snow, here in North BTL. Bit of a surprise this. You guys could be in for some snowaction later. This cold spell is really being a stubborn old so-and-so!

Thanks for the update. I have had a look at the M4 webcams along the south coast and it looks pretty wintry there, especially as the BBC and Met Office were adamant of nothing to lower levels...

Posted

Its helped by the fact that the cold has been pretty sustained so particualarly with this its not giving up without a fight. Whats also helped is probably that the 'milder air' is actually not that much warmer-just a bit too warm for wintryness!